Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Continental Sport contact 2.

Berks996

I have currently have the above tyres on my 996 Turbo.

Whether it is me getting old(er) or whether our roads are getting even worse with pot holes and being patched up I am finding the ride almost unbearable.

Having always had these tyres fitted I know no different. The Turbo is not renowned for it's smooth ride. However it seems either my back is going to break or the dash board is going to fall apart!

They need replacing. Can anyone suggest a tyre that would help with the ride and lessen every small ridge and bump in the road? They seem, comparing to others (I am now a 911 tyre checker!) extreme low profile.

The car is a garage queen only having covered 25k, much covered. It does not do any track work so that is not an issue.

Many thanks.

Hi Berks996

Welcome to 911uk

Tough one, they are low profile on the 996 Turbo as you say, I seriously can't advise a 295/30/18 tyre that is guaranteed to soften the ride.

However I suspect the ones on it are getting harder from age if its a low miler? Have you looked at the date code? You are looking for a moulded 4 digit code on the sidewall like eg '4408' or '1210'. 1st 2 are week, 2nd 2 are year. They should not be much more than 5, certainly 6 years old before they harden up and stop being rubbery and should be binned.

Personally I would try the Michelin, its slightly softer side wall may well make a difference. We fit more of these than anything else and never have any complaints.

At this time of year the cold temps will not be helping the tyres either.

Have you also had all the suspension checked for wear and tear? It may be the shocks are not doing what they should?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back