Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 GT3 3.8litre 469bhp from £100,540 - Full press pack

kench said:
MisterCorn said:
It sounds great to me. No doubt somebody will be along soon to say how it is terrible for not having a Mezger engine, no manual gearbox and a tiny fuel tank.

MC

Lovely RSR photos just shown. Is it true that the RSR and Cup car will usethe old Mezger engine and not the new DFI motor?
[Grimacing] "I know where the photos were taken and I don't know how they did it. We want to participate next year [the next day Manthey were announced as running factory 991 RSRs at Le Mans 2013] and, yes, the RSR and Cup will use the old engine. It is very reliable and strong and it does a good job and in the Cup it will be 3.8 litres. It was an easy decision."

Dont worry it will still be on the RSR and cup will still use the Mezger engines. Good news for us 996/997 turbo owners i suppose. Makes it slightly more collectable ;)

Mezgers in the RSR's and Cup's eh.

"It is very reliable and strong and it does a good job and in the Cup it will be 3.8 litres. It was an easy decision."

What does this say about the 3.8 DFI then?

What next, a traditional steering/rack system for the RSR/Cups perhaps?

PDK?......think again.

What does the new GT3 actually weight.......I heard 1450/1465?

wizard993 said:

"It is very reliable and strong and it does a good job and in the Cup it will be 3.8 litres. It was an easy decision."

Translated: "Our new engines are good, but we'll use the old one as they are still very good"

Time will tell if the DFI is better than the Mezger ones....

:?:

Cunno said:
Roro said:
Cunno said:
Roro said:
wizard993 said:
.....and at nearly £17k more than the previous GT3 it needs to be an exceptional car and a lot better than the previous car.

Very good point - I think I'd rather have a 7.2 RS for around 90k-odd instead :?:

You must be mad, I may not like the look of the back end in those press photos but the photo on PH of a real car look better. The performance of this new car is going to be epic. 3.5 sec to 62mph is nearly a seconded quicker that the 997.1 :lock: this new car is even quicker that the 4.0. Give it 6 to 12 month and a 997.2 at 90k will be laught at. There's a new king in town and it has Pdk.

Not bothered about that in the slightest.... A 7.1 / 7.2 is plenty fast enough for me, and I must admit I prefer the old fashioned manual gearbox contraptions too 8)

Never bought into this manual box is best and how great the gear change is in the modern GT3s. If its so great why do so many of us track drivers change engine mounts, gear box mounts and cup cables etc. looking forward to seeing one of these in full flight. Porsche had to go with PDK to stay in the hunt, manual would have been the end of the GT3 brand.

You're very excitable today :) I never said it was best I said I preferred it :p

kench said:
wizard993 said:

Translated: "Our new engines are good, but we'll use the old one as they are still very good"

:?:

If I was shelling out +£100k I'd need to know its engine is bullet proof and fully tested in all conditions and not a "definate maybe"

IMO, Porsche are sending out the wrong message by having the Cups and RSR's on alternative technologies.

"Use/deploy what you sell".......clearly not(yet)

wizard993 said:
kench said:
wizard993 said:

:?:[/
If I was shelling out +£100k I'd need to know its engine is bullet proof and fully tested in all conditions and not a "definate maybe"

IMO, Porsche are sending out the wrong message by having the Cups and RSR's on alternative technologies.

:thumb:

Comes with three years warranty :lol:

Cunno said:
wizard993 said:
kench said:
wizard993 said:

:?:[/

:thumb:

Comes with three years warranty :lol:

:floor:....punt it at 2 years and 11 months

Love it!

~ Maxie :)

wizard993 said:
If I was shelling out +£100k I'd need to know its engine is bullet proof and fully tested in all conditions and not a "definate maybe

Best stay away from any Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley.....

So that 991 Cup race car... Metzger engine, 6 speed, none of the gizmo's...

Porsche News said:
wizard993 said:
If I was shelling out +£100k I'd need to know its engine is bullet proof and fully tested in all conditions and not a "definate maybe

Best stay away from any Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley.....

So that 991 Cup race car... Metzger engine, 6 speed, none of the gizmo's...

I thought Bentley had achieved excellent reliability with the GT :dont know:

I am glad to see rad mesh is fitted as standard :thumb:

For everyone wanting the perfect GT3 (or at least the newest), this will render the 997 predecessors old hat and result in crushing market dumping of the old guard.

This is a good thing, as I want an imperfect 997.1 3.6 GT3 :cloud9:

First three mods:
Rear seats
Rear wiper
Rad mesh

Roll on the 991 GT3 :thumbs:

Lets be honest - theyve smashed it (IMHO)

And the press stuff had to be a Guards Red car didn't it :worship:

I still think 997 GT3 (prices) will hold up though, for old times sake. Theres not going to be many 991 GT3 and they will be super pricey for a few years.

Be interesting to see if there a speculators and some come straight out into the market

Why are the cups and rsrs(you know those track/race focused ones) going down a different route?

Anyone?

Looks like an amazing piece of kit and exceptional value compared to Ferrari and Lambo's (ignoring the GTR).

I can completely understand why they have gone down the PDK route, will make it very easy to drive and is the first GT3 you (or the Mrs) can drive every day to and from work (including in central London).

However for me the GT3 is a car I use at the weekend or take on holiday. Having recently bought the Mrs a TTS and driven audi's semi auto box, we both realised we prefer to drive a manual car. For me, the semi auto took some of the fun away from the driving experience, I love the fact the GT3 has a heavy clutch, notchy gearbox and scapes over speed bumps, however I am not normal.

Great bit of kit, well done Porsche!

http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/porsche-911-991-gt3-pdk-manual-transmission

Will the 997 GT3 RS or(4.0) ultimately become the best 911 drivers car of all time? now that Porsche have gone down another route with the 991 GT3. If anyone has a good 997 GT3/RS they should think carefully before selling it.

The new GT3 will be a great 2wd sports car but its got a rather different persona to the Porsche GT/RS and the historical bloodline.

Clarkey said:
I still think 997 GT3 (prices) will hold up though, for old times sake. Theres not going to be many 991 GT3 and they will be super pricey for a few years.

I agree. This looks awesome but there will be huge demand for it and given the price it'll be a long time before it depreciates down to a level that will upset the 997 models.

I'm not 100% sold on the look of the back end but that wing looks great compared to the one on the test cars.

Acceleration from 0 - 100 km/h (0 - 62 mph) 3.5 s
Acceleration from 0 - 160 km/h (0 - 99 mph) 7.5 s

:eek: :eek:

The new turbo is going to have to be under 3 seconds to avoid being considered slow isn't it? :) :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back