Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

AutoExpress pitches 911 [991] Carrera 4S v Audi R8

I have to say for a 6 year old design versus a brand-new one, the R8 does remarkably well. I think the 991 will find life tough when the new R8 is released later this year.......

~ Maxie

Maxie said:
I have to say for a 6 year old design versus a brand-new one, the R8 does remarkably well. I think the 991 will find life tough when the new R8 is released later this year.......

~ Maxie

+1 the new car (out next year) will be a match for the 991 GT3 I'd say?

Maxie said:

~ Maxie

... lo and behold, attempted assassination by a family-member!

I had a shot in the R8 at the "6th Gear" experience in York September last year along with Lambo V10. The R8 was a good car to chuck around and I can imagine the latest release model will only get better.

Am fortunate enough to have a 2009 R8 V8 and a 2009 997 C4S in the garage, so although not the latest models, maybe allow me to draw some useful comparisons.

Acceleration, performance, steering and grip essentially the same on both cars. Suspension behaviour better (less bouncy) on the 911. Fuel consumption is at least 25% better on the 911 for any given route. Service and running costs are very similar. Both cars are extremely competent as daily drives. Both always force the mega grin factor every time I go near them. :grin:

Biggest single differrence between the cars is not the cars themselves, but the aftersales service through the dealer network. Porsche has got this nailed, whereas Audi struggle to understand how to support and satisfy the customer base. In this market segement, absolutely key IMO to understand what the customer expects. The Porsche heritage and 50 years of evolution shine through in this respect! :worship:

If I had to opt for a new 991 C4S or the latest R8 V8, where would my money go? Have driven both, so performance is still close and still the same gap in suspension performance to the 991's advantage. PDK trounces the new R8 S-tronic gearbox. Porsche have now moved ahead of Audi on the interior appointments and finish. Importantly, the value for money aspect comes into play - a fully specced 991 for me would come in at £104K, a fully specced R8 V8 for me would be £115K. For this money, could have a well specced 991 GT3, which on paper at least would beat the latest R8 V8 by a useful margin. So, a no brainer, 991 it would have to be. :thumbs:

DRZ911 said:
Am fortunate enough to have a 2009 R8 V8 and a 2009 997 C4S in the garage, so although not the latest models, maybe allow me to draw some useful comparisons.

Acceleration, performance, steering and grip essentially the same on both cars. Suspension behaviour better (less bouncy) on the 911. Fuel consumption is at least 25% better on the 911 for any given route. Service and running costs are very similar. Both cars are extremely competent as daily drives. Both always force the mega grin factor every time I go near them. :grin:

Biggest single differrence between the cars is not the cars themselves, but the aftersales service through the dealer network. Porsche has got this nailed, whereas Audi struggle to understand how to support and satisfy the customer base. In this market segement, absolutely key IMO to understand what the customer expects. The Porsche heritage and 50 years of evolution shine through in this respect! :worship:

If I had to opt for a new 991 C4S or the latest R8 V8, where would my money go? Have driven both, so performance is still close and still the same gap in suspension performance to the 991's advantage. PDK trounces the new R8 S-tronic gearbox. Porsche have now moved ahead of Audi on the interior appointments and finish. Importantly, the value for money aspect comes into play - a fully specced 991 for me would come in at £104K, a fully specced R8 V8 for me would be £115K. For this money, could have a well specced 991 GT3, which on paper at least would beat the latest R8 V8 by a useful margin. So, a no brainer, 991 it would have to be. :thumbs:

Interesting you say the PDK beats the s-tronic. I'm going for a test drive soon with the dual clutch audi to see what its like

dipesh.tank said:
Interesting you say the PDK beats the s-tronic. I'm going for a test drive soon with the dual clutch audi to see what its like

Dipesh.tank, have tried both the R8 V8 and R8 V10 plus with S-tronic. Even with the extra 00mph of the V10, in 'Normal' and 'Sport' modes, the S-tronic is simlar to the 'Normal' and 'Sport' modes for PDK. However, the PDK's ace up the sleeve is that the shift strategy for 'Sport Plus' is absolutely frenetic and blood curdling compared to the R8 in 'Sport' mode. Make sure the dealer takes you somewhere where you can fully access what S-tronic has to offer - enjoy! :thumb:

Mods,
Can you move this into the shoe "shuh Verkauf" sales department please.
Ein Deutscher hansworth.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back