Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

305/30/19 Pirelli p-Zero Corsa are they still being made

evodarren

Spa-Francorchamps
305/30/19 Pirelli p-Zero Corsa are they still being made.
I have been looking for a couple of replacements for the rear of my 997 GT3. What other pirellis can i fit if these are not made anymore. I have to have something which will not affect the warranty.

Had Rosso,s on my 997 Carrera s

Seem to stick quite well

evodarren said:

The answer lies somewhere between maybe and no. Since you mentioned the warranty then I assume that you want N rated ones. I haven't seen any go through the usual online suppliers since the front half of last year, however a couple of people on Pistonheads got them a month or so ago via OPCs (can't remember which ones, but certainly not all of them have stocks) and in one case someone said that Pirelli helped them to track some down. Note however that if you are after the N0 then you are out of luck - only the N1 has turned up and that uses a completely different tread design (which also means that the rears are no longer specific to left and right sides of the car).

They are good tyres, but N rated Corsas have had availability issues for a lot of years now (996 and 997) - personally I'd advise switching to something else as a consequence. If you want N rated track day rubber that means Michelin Cups, though if after a more road oriented tyre there are rather more options.

Good hunting.

Disco said:
evodarren said:

The answer lies somewhere between maybe and no. Since you mentioned the warranty then I assume that you want N rated ones. I haven't seen any go through the usual online suppliers since the front half of last year, however a couple of people on Pistonheads got them a month or so ago via OPCs (can't remember which ones, but certainly not all of them have stocks) and in one case someone said that Pirelli helped them to track some down. Note however that if you are after the N0 then you are out of luck - only the N1 has turned up and that uses a completely different tread design (which also means that the rears are no longer specific to left and right sides of the car).

They are good tyres, but N rated Corsas have had availability issues for a lot of years now (996 and 997) - personally I'd advise switching to something else as a consequence. If you want N rated track day rubber that means Michelin Cups, though if after a more road oriented tyre there are rather more options.

Good hunting.

Thankyou for this information.

My car is 95% road use, would i really notice much differenc betreen a road based Pilot sport compared to th Pilot cups. Would like to get as many road mile out of the car and im probable not the best driver out ther so i may not notice much difference.
Thanks
Darren

evodarren said:
My car is 95% road use, would i really notice much differenc betreen a road based Pilot sport compared to th Pilot cups. Would like to get as many road mile out of the car and im probable not the best driver out ther so i may not notice much difference.

You will certainly notice some differences.

Firstly, you have to consider that track day tyres don't work terribly well in standing water/heavy rain or indeed the cold. Cups in particular only come with 4.5mm of tread depth from new, so obviously aren't going to last anything like as long on the road as a Pilot Sport, Bridgestone RE050, Conti SportContact or other N rated options.

The advantage of track day tyres is not just that they have higher peak grip, but also that they don't tend to start to melt on track. When you start to get fast in something like a GT3 this does become an issue - particularly if you do runs longer than about 15 minutes at a time.

The Michelin Supersport is a very good middle ground and the tyre that pretty much everyone who has tried it will recommend for the use that you describe, but it looks like those will not be made available in 997 sizes with an N rating (even though they were developed on the 997 and used by the Porsche Experience centre).

Disco said:
evodarren said:

You will certainly notice some differences.

Firstly, you have to consider that track day tyres don't work terribly well in standing water/heavy rain or indeed the cold. Cups in particular only come with 4.5mm of tread depth from new, so obviously aren't going to last anything like as long on the road as a Pilot Sport, Bridgestone RE050, Conti SportContact or other N rated options.

The advantage of track day tyres is not just that they have higher peak grip, but also that they don't tend to start to melt on track. When you start to get fast in something like a GT3 this does become an issue - particularly if you do runs longer than about 15 minutes at a time.

The Michelin Supersport is a very good middle ground and the tyre that pretty much everyone who has tried it will recommend for the use that you describe, but it looks like those will not be made available in 997 sizes with an N rating (even though they were developed on the 997 and used by the Porsche Experience centre).

Spoke to the warranty man at Bristol porsche and he said the pilot sports are noe N2 rated.

evodarren said:
Spoke to the warranty man at Bristol porsche and he said the pilot sports are noe N2 rated.

The Pilot Sport PS2 N2 are, but the SuperSports are not - different tyre entirely.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back