Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes Squeal

911BlackEd said:
Red993C4 said:
To those who think that the answer to this "issue" is for Porsche to fit softer brake pads as standard, I would recommend some other car brands whose manufacturers follow a different philosophy when developing their sports cars. :D

Erm... :?

911BlackEd said:
It tends to happen on mine from the rears when they are not being used hard enough, as after a good run with some heavy braking the noise goes for a few weeks. Harder this time of year with the weather to do that though!

Was that not what I said in the 3rd Post about deglazing the pads?

Also, how would my soft gently gently, should be driving a Honda Jazz driving style, cause the pads to start to disintegrate?

Anyway, what do I know, I shall just go and trade it in for a Nissan Micra and leave these real Sports cars to people who use them properly... :wink:

I think the emoticon :D I added to the last paragraph was a heavy hint that it was intended to be jokingly provocative; it was written in anticipation of anyone reading the post who might be inclined to respond "so why doesn't Porsche just fit softer pads?". :thumb:

Car manufacturers basically build horses for courses and I personally think that Porsche gets this particular aspect right for the 911, even though it might not please everyone all of the time. (See all the threads here along the lines: "There's something wrong with my new Porsche's brakes".

My 993's brakes occasionally squeal at present, and have done so intermittently since a pad change, but knowing the background to it, and the possible solution any time I want to make the effort, I'm not inclined to get ***** about it.

You did indeed imply that harder use of your car's brakes gave temporary relief from the squeal from the rear axle, but didn't explain the background to it or suggest that a deliberate "programme" of hard stops could be the solution for this issue, for a while at least. Anyone suffering from it and reading this thread would be unlikely to feel motivated to go out and try some hard braking to see if worked on his car too on the back of the thread's content, so I thought it might help someone confronted with brake squeal if some of the background was put into clear text.

As to "using real sports cars properly", I don't get to do it either unfortunately as the UK's overcrowded and often primitive road infrastructure severely limits our ability to do that safely. But I do like to think that at least my car is sufficiently true to its philosophy to be capable of it, if conditions allowed. I would hate it if I thought Porsche might listen even more than it already does to the people who think that a 911 should be turned into a sanitized boulevard cruiser.

As to your rear pads disintegrating, I believe that is usually more inclined to happen to friction material which has been subjected to too much heat, for instance, inadequate brake cooling on a track car. Doesn't really fit to the usage profile on the rear axle of a road car used in the UK. Bad batch of friction material, maybe? :dont know:

PS: Forum software apparently objects to the use of the term "@nal".
I suppose in same rare instances it might be used with offensive intent. :dont know:

I was upset to find that the well known method of gas extraction from shale was censored.

F R A C K I N G twats.

Red993C4 said:
PS: Forum software apparently objects to the use of the term "@nal".
I suppose in same rare instances it might be used with offensive intent. :dont know:

:friends: It was taken all in jest Red, and don't be so harsh on yourself, I'm sure not everyone here thinks your @nal :puh:

Back to the OP. I did have the same issue on my 991. Started to squeal pretty badly.. reminded me of my RS29 pads on a E92 M3... they were louder than a London Bus... if not treated to ultra-high temperatures regularly..

So i gave it the high temperatures treatment.. within the limits of reason that is.. couple of good stops from speed without ABS triggering.. still nothing..

In the end booked in to the OPC who actually did struggle to get rid of it but in the end managed to. Runs perfectly now.. no squeal.

Rosino, what did they do you fix yours?

Rosino, what did they do to fix yours?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back