Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cleaning the headlight reflector

ellistai

Spa-Francorchamps
I am referring to the silver bit of the headlight. Read the following which reminded me that the coating might become fragile. Any experience to share?

http://p-car.com/diy/headlight/

I would like to add the word "extremely" between become and fragile. Don't use any solvents or glass cleaning agents.
Remember to clean the lens as well, mine were covered in milky white dust.
Cheers,
Tore

That milky dust is more n likely bodyshop originated.

Id suggest babywipes.
Don't press hard, the chrome will come off.
Clean the leanses inside in soapy water, and clean the outsides with glass cleaner.

I wouldn't touch the reflector, just carefully clean the front lens inside and out (pre 996 handily detach for access)

I used a very soft clean microfibre towel then huffed and lightly buffed. It came up like new.

It is very easy to leave specs of dust on the inside of the lense covers which will be noticeable when the lights are tured on so these are best done in a dust free enviroment with an antistatic cloth.

Dom B said:
I used a very soft clean microfibre towel then huffed and lightly buffed. It came up like new.

It is very easy to leave specs of dust on the inside of the lense covers which will be noticeable when the lights are tured on so these are best done in a dust free enviroment with an antistatic cloth.

+1 to Dom

The risk is poor methods, dont try using an old cloth, only a new microfibre will do its just not worth the risk.

Huff and puff to get some condensation and thats enough I found. If you really must use water ensure its filtered so you dont leave trace particles to get baked on.

Remember quality is not about doing one thing right, its about not doing many things badly. :thumb:

This is a job I gave up on as the plastic tabs that hold the lens to the headlight array seemed very brittle .. I was ever so gently prising the first tab to pop the clip and it cracked (not the seal but the hoop) , I've not gone back to the job since ..
Has anyone else found this , or better yet , found a solution to this problem?

Anyone?

ballcock said:

There was no hint of brittleness when I did mine and the originals did not seem to have any less flex in the tabs than the ones on the brand new lenses that I purchased last year.
I do recall that the first time removing the lenses was more difficult though.

Have you tried pushing the lense toward the headlamp body while gently releasing two tabs at a time.
Pushing the lense toward the headlamp body will help release the tabs as there is a compressible foam rubber seal that is seated beween the two parts, therefore compressing it will alleviate the pressure on the tabs.

Tabs are as per the attached pic:

Attachments

• headlamp_tab_148.jpg
    headlamp_tab_148.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 5,224
Just bought two brand new lenses from Sunset, priced USD 114.89 each. Price okay?

My old lenses have cracks on the glasses and numerous stone chips :what:

ellistai said:
Just bought two brand new lenses from Sunset, priced USD 114.89 each. Price okay?

Assuming that is about £72.00 inc vat then it's a pretty good price.

Out of interest do they have Bosch lettering in the lower part of the glass.

Thanks Dom, I don't know what's going on with mine , but will try tackling them again this week , cheers.

Dom B said:
ellistai said:

Thought Bosch has stopped producing the lens :?:

The ones I got (3 pairs I got, 2 for mates' 993s) don't have "Bosch"!

Replacing these lens covers made a massive difference to my front end. Mine were pitted badly, like quite a few others on here.

ellistai said:
Dom B said:
ellistai said:

Thought Bosch has stopped producing the lens :?:

The ones I got (3 pairs I got, 2 for mates' 993s) don't have "Bosch"!

You can still order Bosch lenses here but they don't have the Bosch lettering in the lense like the original lenses that were fitted at the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back