Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tip vs Manual comparisons at 'having fun' speeds

i think what this thread exposes is that if you use the M mode on a tip its every bit as much fun and a little bit cleverer then a manual in most circumstances (it knows what not to do without accidentally doing it first) and much easier to drive in town in D when you dont want to be bothered

still doesn't make it "better" than a manual but i really wouldn't want to go back to a manual box after a collection of autos on a number of different cars

the OPs point that 5 ratios is as good as 6 is true and the extra ratio in the middle doesn't add anything to the driving experience or make the car more fun

for me i purposely chose a tip for those exact reasons and when certain friends have said "you bought an auto sports car, are you mad?" this is the answer " yes, have you ever driven one?"

smigga said:
I do find that D is usually a gear to high for me unless pushing on a lot ... Dave
So, you're actually using M to drive slower. :)

Tinker said:
smigga said:
I do find that D is usually a gear to high for me unless pushing on a lot ... Dave
So, you're actually using M to drive slower. :)
Indeed I am :D

Dave

I use M all the time and i think apart from the 1st 2 days of owning my C4S using D, ive never been out of M. I always found that the gearbox wanted to change too early in D and even though i went the "auto" route, i still wanted to tell the car when to change gear.

The auto box in D is still pretty amazing. i just find that it needs a bit of a prod to get it into a sporty programme (which to be fair doesn't take much effort). Once it does then it's excellent fun.

I'd agree with some of the earlier comments that being able to keep both hands on the wheel while changing gear is an advantage but that I don't feel quite as connected with the car as when using my left foot.

It's not a case of better (manual v tip) just different - horses for courses.

I'd still be interested in hearing from more manual drivers. As to what gears they spend most of their time in. Perhaps driving the tip (and the little red light) means you have to be more aware of the gear. Maybe a different thread topic is needed to draw out comments.

petop said:
I use M all the time and i think apart from the 1st 2 days of owning my C4S using D, ive never been out of M. I always found that the gearbox wanted to change too early in D and even though i went the "auto" route, i still wanted to tell the car when to change gear.
You're missing a lot of fun. Admittedly, it's quick fun, but that's what a 911's for. Well, some of the time, anyway. As for city driving, who on Earth wamts to change gear?

Then, of course, there's mixing D and M. :) A Tip isn't just one or the other.

T8996C4 said:
JAD said:
I'd still be interested in hearing from more manual drivers. As to what gears they spend most of their time in ......... Maybe a different thread topic is needed to draw out comments.

Great minds think alike John :grin:

>>>> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=78883&highlight=

This thread was about "pressing on".
When at Millbrook, specifically on the handling circuit, I found myself mostly in 3rd and 4th gears, rarely in 2nd and this was the case also for the one track day that I have done. (So much torque in 3rd).

+1

In real world spirited driving I find 2nd is only ever needed for tight hairpins, and 5th or above largely unnecessary until you are backing off... :grin:

Hi guys,

Having started my Porsche life with a 911 SC, then a 3.2 Carrera finally moving to my 996 3.6, I'd have to say that my 911 would always have to be a manual, when looking for my 996, I'd find a few nice cars but was adamant that it had to be a manual gearbox.
I did have a Loan car that was a tip but, for me personally, I feel much more at one with the car in manual form.
Porsche wanted to widen their market by offering a tip, and they did that for sure.
It's all a personal choice at the end of the day.
Good dilemma to Have though, right?

Regards

Vinny

interesting but not entirely surprising. It really is the 2 vs 3 gears of the tip vs manual. But I'd argue at slower corners, you'd need 2nd in the tip as well. I remember I had to use 2nd in Bedford at the tighter corners (and it wasn't exactly dry so I went slow). When I was driving Caterhams at Donington, with a bit more skill, I really could take the whole track in just 5th gear. The porker will only need 3rd and 4th, with probably some awkward in-between moments where the manual may allow me to stay in 4th.

interesting but not entirely surprising. It really is the 2 vs 3 gears of the tip vs manual. But I'd argue at slower corners, you'd need 2nd in the tip as well. I remember I had to use 2nd in Bedford at the tighter corners (and it wasn't exactly dry so I went slow). When I was driving Caterhams at Donington, with a bit more skill, I really could take the whole track in just 5th gear. The porker will only need 3rd and 4th, with probably some awkward in-between moments where the manual may allow me to stay in 4th.

Each to their own but it takes a bit of skill to drive a Tip using the buttons on the steering wheel, done properly it's so fast and responsive it's breathtaking it takes ages to wipe the smile of your face, I personally would never go back to driving a manual. :nooo:

Each to their own but it takes a bit of skill to drive a manual using the gearstick and clutch, done properly it's so fast and responsive it's breathtaking it takes ages to wipe the smile of your face, I personally would never go back to driving an auto.

T8996C4 said:
So ........... when do manual drivers use their 5th gear :?:

The Ring....

That's easy..Flugplatz (car is more settled there in 5th) Schwedenkreuz,
the run up through Kesselchen to Klostertal, Planzgarten (combo of 4th &
5th) and of course Dottinger Hohe...lol

...and on faster, smooth roads I use 5th a lot in cross country driving... :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back