Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996t wheel removal

Sustanon400

Spa-Francorchamps
Tried removing my wheels yesterday to get some polish on the inside for winter and they would not come off (and yes I did remove the nuts)

Anyone had this problem and any suggestions how to remove ?

Two short planks I piece of 3x2 and a bottle or sissor jack place the planks on the inside of apposing wheels .span with 3x2 and jack open the jack wheel comes of simples oh take the bolts out first .or 1 short plank and 6lb hammer :grin: :thumb:

Thank you !

Why didn't I think of that :pc:

On other cars ive been able to lower the car gently with the nuts loose, but this wont work on the 911

Or just face away from the car and kick the tyre wall with you heel.

Just go steady the last thing you want is a buckled wheel, especially if they are hollow spokes!

Dont go kicking the wheel! That'll damage the paint and also risks bending something, knocking out your geo setup etc.

A slow force from using a jack between wheels is that it is more likely to bend a wheel, you actually need a bit of a shock force.

Firstly, go for a drive and get some heat into the brakes which will transfer to the hub and wheel. This will seriously help.

After that, you can spray some WD40 type oil by the hub face (avoid brakes) to help break up any solid grease and provide a bit of lube.

Jack up and place on stand. Place a spare wheel or something under the car just as a second line of defence should anything move.

Place 1" thick or more piece of wood on the inner edge, heavy weight club hammer (not like a DIY hammer) and moving the wheel round knock gently all round.

If you are in any doubt take it to a garage and get them to put it on a ramp so its secure and you/they can get a decent angle of attack. Its bloody hard trying this upside down on your side with the car on a jack.

Cause? Sounds like they've been refurbished and had the centre bores painted, resulting in an interference fit.

This is often the case on BMWs too as the hubs are generally a very close fit in the wheels. I use the technique above described by Crhis W and it works just fine (on a BMW at least...)

good luck

tim

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back