Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 tyre gel

jojito

Just reinflated my tyre after puncture with the tyre gel and the local garage advised that if I ever wanted to repair a tyre(it had 7mm left and no obvious sidewall damage), I should never use the tyre gel as it makes it impossible to repair. They advised reinflating with compressor and driving directly to tyre repair centre very slowly if possible. Just wondered what other bods do? And yes, I'm happy to use a repaired tyre..

Just reinflated my tyre after puncture with the tyre gel and the local garage advised that if I ever wanted to repair a tyre(it had 7mm left and no obvious sidewall damage), I should never use the tyre gel as it makes it impossible to repair. They advised reinflating with compressor and driving directly to tyre repair centre very slowly if possible. Just wondered what other bods do? And yes, I'm happy to use a repaired tyre..

I think that tyre gel is only a temporary get out of jail, its not a repair, so you can get to a garage/home etc.

If you continue to run it it will break down and you will get air loss, ultimately in a situation where you end up with rim damage as well. The valve will be gunged up and you wont be able to put more air in.

The chemical probably isn't compatible with the vulcanising process and even if they can find the original puncture you are going to have difficulty.

So, yes, they are right its a new tyre.

And honestly don't attempt to do otherwise, your car, your life and others on the road are worth much more.

Its painful!

I think that tyre gel is only a temporary get out of jail, its not a repair, so you can get to a garage/home etc.

If you continue to run it it will break down and you will get air loss, ultimately in a situation where you end up with rim damage as well. The valve will be gunged up and you wont be able to put more air in.

The chemical probably isn't compatible with the vulcanising process and even if they can find the original puncture you are going to have difficulty.

So, yes, they are right its a new tyre.

And honestly don't attempt to do otherwise, your car, your life and others on the road are worth much more.

Its painful!

I know that tyres are the most important bit of kit keeping you on the road. I always get the best tyres for whatever car, but I also believe that if there is a clean nail puncture in the middle of the tyre, and if the tyre is not driven on for lots of miles when it could be under pressure and causing tyre wall damage, then it should be easily repairable and reusable. Instead of spending £600 on a pair of tyres to go again.. Obviously that's just my opinion..!

I know that tyres are the most important bit of kit keeping you on the road. I always get the best tyres for whatever car, but I also believe that if there is a clean nail puncture in the middle of the tyre, and if the tyre is not driven on for lots of miles when it could be under pressure and causing tyre wall damage, then it should be easily repairable and reusable. Instead of spending £600 on a pair of tyres to go again.. Obviously that's just my opinion..!

Just to be clear, its not that the tyre may be damaged from lack of use, its that the repair cannot be carried out as you need a clean surface (in the inside) that can allow the patch and plug to be bonded properly. Its the same reason that it is illegal to repair a tyre on the edge, the patch is not guaranteed to stick to a curve (the inside is different to the outside) which is constantly flexing.

I imagine the tyre gel is actually foam which expands and hardens. When it hardens its also preventing the natural flex of the sidewall. Take it a garage and ask them to take the tyre off, show you and explain.

You can get thixotropic additives that automatically seal punctures. This stuff gets applied to commercial and plant type vehicles and reacts to a puncture when it happens not afterwards.

Just to be clear, its not that the tyre may be damaged from lack of use, its that the repair cannot be carried out as you need a clean surface (in the inside) that can allow the patch and plug to be bonded properly. Its the same reason that it is illegal to repair a tyre on the edge, the patch is not guaranteed to stick to a curve (the inside is different to the outside) which is constantly flexing.

I imagine the tyre gel is actually foam which expands and hardens. When it hardens its also preventing the natural flex of the sidewall. Take it a garage and ask them to take the tyre off, show you and explain.

You can get thixotropic additives that automatically seal punctures. This stuff gets applied to commercial and plant type vehicles and reacts to a puncture when it happens not afterwards.

And to be clear, my above comments are referring to a tyre that has been inflated with tyre gel, I'm not against puncture repairs and would advise the same as the garage has said i.e. re-inflate if possible using a compressor and limp to a repair centre if safe to do so.

Dont try to run flat, you should see what happens to the sidewall, and more so the damage that cant be seen.

And to be clear, my above comments are referring to a tyre that has been inflated with tyre gel, I'm not against puncture repairs and would advise the same as the garage has said i.e. re-inflate if possible using a compressor and limp to a repair centre if safe to do so.

Dont try to run flat, you should see what happens to the sidewall, and more so the damage that cant be seen.

Agreed. my comments were also. The merits of trying not to use the tyre gel unless last resort. - if you want to stand any chance of repairing an otherwise perfect tyre.
We spoke earlier in the week - you were very helpful thanks.

Agreed. my comments were also. The merits of trying not to use the tyre gel unless last resort. - if you want to stand any chance of repairing an otherwise perfect tyre.

jojito said:

Ah, yes, hope you are sorted. :thumb:

jojito said:

Ah, yes, hope you are sorted. :thumb:

I'd avoid it as it makes it a pain just to change the tyre (OK, so the tyre pops off fine, but the rim needs de-gungung before the new tyre is fitted and KwikFit don't have the time or skills for that)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back