Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 engine failure and Bose

jovie

Does the gen 2 3.8 experience the same engine problems as the gen 1 i.e. IMS failure and bore scoring?
When did the larger IMS engine start production?
And finally are there two different types of Bose audio on offer as I overheard someone in an audio shop say something about the 'upgraded' Bose?
Thanks

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

jovie said:
Does the gen 2 3.8 experience the same engine problems as the gen 1 i.e. IMS failure and bore scoring?When did the larger IMS engine start production?
And finally are there two different types of Bose audio on offer as I overheard someone in an audio shop say something about the 'upgraded' Bose?
Thanks

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Short answer to your first point - no. Although one would still need to excercise prudent warm up procedures.
When you say "larger IMS engine" do you mean the Gen 2 engine? It is in fact a few cc smaller than the Gen 1 at 3800. Gen 2 started turning up on '08 997's :?:

Somone will be along soon with an answer to your audio question I'm sure.

The Gen 2 engine is a completely different design and has no IMS, so IMS failure is impossible. 8)

Bore scoring, not sure ... I haven't heard of any such issues on Gen 2 cars.

Sorry no idea on the audio.

jovie said:

I am not aware of there being 2 levels of Bose. However, there was an option of a 'sound package plus' - not Bose, but upgraded from the standard fit audio system. Also, if they were talking about the new 991 then they might have been referencing that there is a Bose option for about £1k and a high end Burmester system at about £3k.

I will be boring ...

The only potential problem with the DFI engine is carbon build up on the inlet valves, this is because no fuel passes by them. The inlet is then coated with oil mist from the gas recirculation(from crankcase) to reduce emmissions.

I have not seen any 997 DFI engines pictures yet ... mostly other cars(note any car make with direct injection will have this issue)

This is easy but costly to sort out.

Andyuk911 said:
I will be boring ...

The only potential problem with the DFI engine is carbon build up on the inlet valves, this is because no fuel passes by them. The inlet is then coated with oil mist from the gas recirculation(from crankcase) to reduce emmissions.

I have not seen any 997 DFI engines pictures yet ... mostly other cars(note any car make with direct injection will have this issue)

This is easy but costly to sort out.

Not boring at all - on the contrary adds to the discussion. I have also heard this too. I further heard this year that some outfit (it might even have been Hartech but cannot recall) recently opened up a 2008 Gen 2 Carrera engine and reported no build-up of carbon deposits. Perhaps at 4 years old there hasn't beeen enough time for it to do so.

~ Maxie

All valves carbon up eventually but it doesnt bring impending doom, sure it may interupt smooth airflow but you will never notice the difference in its drivability.

All cars have had breather systems for years in that combustion bypass gasses are drawn into the engine and burnt and some of these engines have covered over 250K miles.
The older engines used to draw lots of oil into the induction side via the valve guides - all that was in the way was a tiny rubber seal sat on the top of the valve guide and oil was simply sloshed around inside the rocker cover bathing the whole area with oil, and even after 100000 miles the carbon build up didnt affect the running of the engine so i wouldnt worry about the gen 2 engine being more susceptable to carbonising of the valves - for one i dont believe it - just another scare story started by someone

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back