Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

snow/winter tyres

Jason Taylor

Montreal
I got my wife a new mercedes c class a few weeks ago and as the temperature drops i am becoming aware that i need to have some winter tyres fitted as i believe these are not good in the snow.

Question is, would it be normal to fit the tyres on the driven wheels only (rear) or both axles, as i dont see the benefit of having snow tyres on the front?

I would prefer an unbiased opinion as if i go to kwik-fit etc im sure they will tell me i need 4 tyres.

any advice appreciated

Both. Assuming you want to be able to stop and steer.

MC

+1

You must fit all 4 tyres as winter tyres.

If you only fit winter tyres to drive axle, you potentially have serious handling issues.

+1

In the last load of bad weather, this is what all the eejits in their big 4x4s failed to grasp...

You need to stop. It doesn't matter how many or which wheels are being driven, when it comes to stopping you need grip on the front.

From driving in the Alps in winter, you CAN get away with chains (=grip) just on the front of a front-wheel-drive car, but when it comes to descending the hairpins, you'll wish the back had grip as well.

In the UK I got away with chains on the front of the Golf Mk1 last time, but if I was relying on just rubber I'd want four contact patches (with winter-specific-rubber) to help me stop.

:frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

I wish we would stop using the term "snow" tyres when we are almost always talking about "winter" tyres. Winter tyres are much better than summer tyres in cold weather (below 7 degrees). They are also much better on snow and ice (compared with summer tyres) but if you are planning on driving regularly on proper snow / ice then only chains or studded "snow/ice" tyres will do...

In any or every case fit the same tyres / chains all round if you want to get where you are going rather than upside down in a ditch :thumb:

...now can someone help me down from this soapbox? :soapbox:

Crikey, the OP called them snow tyres once but everywhere else they are referred to as winter tyres. Whilst you are in the mood why not start a thread to complain about people calling their bumper a PU and referring to their 911 turbo as a 911tt. If you don't I might.

MC

Apologies OP and MC, I'd overdosed on coffee this morning... :coat:

My mini-rant wasn't aimed specifically at Jason, it's just that there have been a lot of threads over the last few months asking about "snow" tyres when really people mean "winter". Using the wrong term leads to a natural misconception that these tyres should only be used in snow when in fact that isn't the case at all.

I accept that wasn't the direct implication of OP's question, which had already been answered - have the same type of tyre on all wheels, not just the driven ones :thumb:

Right, time for a lie down...

The wintrac extreme 4 web site mentions how good the tyres are on snowy roads :grin:

www .vredestein.com/car-tyres/winter/wintrac-4-xtreme/benefits/

chimp911 said:
Apologies OP and MC, I'd overdosed on coffee this morning... :coat:

My mini-rant wasn't aimed specifically at Jason, it's just that there have been a lot of threads over the last few months asking about "snow" tyres when really people mean "winter". Using the wrong term leads to a natural misconception that these tyres should only be used in snow when in fact that isn't the case at all.

I accept that wasn't the direct implication of OP's question, which had already been answered - have the same type of tyre on all wheels, not just the driven ones :thumb:

Right, time for a lie down...

I suffered from the same reaction as you did on reading "snow" tyres (and I've only drunk teas so far this morning :D) and for exactly the same reason.
People generally really have not understood the raison d'etre of winter tyres in this country, and incorrectly think that they only help on snow.
Referring to winter tyres as snow tyres does help perpetuate this misconception.

Thanks for the response, all 4 wheels it is then, ill make sure i get them winter tyres..............as they say "everydays a school day".

cheers guys

Jason

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
filipesalette
Back