Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coilovers...again? - Now with fitted pics page 2

I went for design tek coilovers in the end from design911.com. 30mm wouldn't have been enough of a drop for me.

The kit actually looks pretty good for a grand, Its all fitted now and its currently at Avia Speedshop in S Wales for a fast road/track setup. Spring compression, dampening, ride height and camber all being adjusted, followed by the tracking and then to finish off its being corner weighted.

the garage were also impressed with the quality of the kit, and the're used to work on high end/track cars... so its just the final test and thats the ride.

fred666 said:
I went for design tek coilovers in the end from design911.com. 30mm wouldn't have been enough of a drop for me.

The kit actually looks pretty good for a grand, Its all fitted now and its currently at Avia Speedshop in S Wales for a fast road/track setup. Spring compression, dampening, ride height and camber all being adjusted, followed by the tracking and then to finish off its being corner weighted.

the garage were also impressed with the quality of the kit, and the're used to work on high end/track cars... so its just the final test and thats the ride.

Was/is there enough adjustment available to correct the camber after lowering or are after-market linkages required to maintain factory camber settings?

EDIT: Oh and get some pictures up then!

Adjustable links were provided with the kit. also the units are camber adjustable -i should be getting it back tomorrow, i might pop pics up

Coilovers all fitted, I won't give much of a review so far as i haven't done enough mileage to say whether i made the right choice or whether i've shot myself in the foot spending less than a grand on suspension...

Rolling shots...
PorscheCarrera439Trax2012.jpg

PorscheCarrera438Trax2012.jpg

and stationary...
PorscheCarrera445Trax2012.jpg

PorscheCarrera444Trax2012.jpg

PorscheCarrera443Trax2012.jpg

I know the black wheels may not be to many members taste but im over the moon with the work i've put in since purchasing the car 4-5 weeks ago standard.

Really interesting post. Looking at the options myself, as having just got a 911 and similarly finding it sits too high, I want to achieve a lower look without affecting the handling, and hopefully improving it.
Obviously springs can be bought for a few quid, but without matching shocks it could mean issues (although I have Martin Brown checking out my chassis number to look at what springs may be OK with my factory shocks).
So how do you find the kit? How much was fitting? Did it need much setting up once fitted?
By the way, I think the car looks fantastic :)

A bit of an essay but here we go...

My view is you can't slate a product purely on price alone... I took a chance and i personally think its paid off. I knew what sort of response I'd get questioning cheaper suspension but If they are being sold there's obviously a market of owners buying them, i was hoping someone would give feedback on here and admit to owning them.

I'm convinced they are the same units as BC racing, again at the cheaper end but i've spoke to a few people running BC's and they're happy.

The kit is very well made, obviously i can't say how well they will last just yet, but they have all the adjustment capabilities to perform exactly how you want them to, theres no real way they can be poor handling units when you have spring compression adjustment, dampening, camber, and ride height adjustment.

The rears were easy to fit, the fronts were not quite as easy, i had a garage set the geo and camber, they were a bit of a pain to start with, droplinks knocking, very springy etc but given a few weeks to play around with the settings and i think i've got them bang on. I've shortened the droplinks to loose the knocking, given a little more spring compression and stiffened the dampening.

Overall i'm satisfied with the money i've spent! :D

Any chance of an update? Are you still happy with this set up? Have you made any changes since? Thx

Very comfy ride, im still playing with dampening, its a tad springy, feel like the compression could be altered slightly but overal im happy with them :) They will take some setting up but any adjustable units will.

The adjustable droplinks are a god send also that come with the kit. These need to be shortened a fair bit when you lower the 996 to stop anything touching/clanging.

I'm pretty sure they are the same units as BC Racing, which are slowly becoming quite a reputable company, with time attack sponsorship etc

Looks great! I'm wondering if anyone commenting on your budget kit is running standard Porsche suspension with say 40'000+ miles on it?

I'm fairly sure your budget kit will be in far better condition and offer vastly improved damping. Glad your happy.

Hope it is working out for you...I'm toying with the idea of KW V3 for my car.

Unrelated, but Moonshine was that your C4S I saw sell on eBay today?

fred666 said:
Very comfy ride, im still playing with dampening,

I had fully adjustable coilovers fitted to my old tvr, i have never been so obsessed with stance and handling to this day, all i shall say is i spent far to much time tweaking than driving but they where a dam site better than my worn standard shocks and springs :thumb: .

Moonshine said:
Looks great! I'm wondering if anyone commenting on your budget kit is running standard Porsche suspension with say 40'000+ miles on it?

I'm fairly sure your budget kit will be in far better condition and offer vastly improved damping. Glad your happy.

Very very good point, but hey its not £3k so it must be terrible... right? :roll:

On a side note, had a spirited drive tonight, dipping into corners and powering out. I love my 911, and im very happy with how it handles NOW - it certainly didn't corner standard like it does now.

Kgboxers said:
Hope it is working out for you...I'm toying with the idea of KW V3 for my car.

If it was my daily i'd have forked out for something tried and tested such as the KW's, but for the mileage i drive, budgets were on the menu for me :)

Any new thoughts on the DesignTek D220 Coilover Suspension?

They are still under £800 for Design911

Debating to either change my broken M030 front spring or fit something allround?

I have started to look at some coilovers, can't find any reviews on these other than a brief conversation that mentions that they maybe a "big brand" re labeled.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back