Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coilovers...again? - Now with fitted pics page 2

fred666

Monza
I've had a fair old search of the forum, and it seems to be KW variant 3's are the preferred setup.

I had a set of track spec Gaz golds on my last car, all singing all dancing, dampening adjustment, heaight adjustment, i picked my own spring rates etc and they were great... but for what i paid i didnt really get the use out of them...

so what cheaper alternative options do i have for me carrera 4? i doubt ill see much track action, fast road, and if im honest, im more concerned with how the car sits than comfort..

i've seen these ebay specials, which look as cheap as they are...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280932619147

and also these...
http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt65_...08-01/DesignTek-D220-Coilover-Suspension-Kit/

Has anyone used either set on here or are there any other budget options?

Thanks

why would you put budget coilovers on a 911??

if you're not bothered about handling and only interested in the cosmetics of the way the car sits - buy some shorter springs?

because the lower centre of gravity that adjustable coilovers would bring, albeit budget or top of the range would still improve over standard imo.

Ive ran nitrogen filled coilovers, gaz, fk's, bilsteins, eibach coilovers and springs / dampening setups in the past i've tried a few few setups/brands.

In this instance i'd like a lower centre of gravity and a better stance to the car... on a budget.

fred666 said:
because the lower centre of gravity that adjustable coilovers would bring, albeit budget or top of the range would still improve over standard imo.

Ive ran nitrogen filled coilovers, gaz, fk's, bilsteins, eibach coilovers and springs / dampening setups in the past i've tried a few few setups/brands. My last car in particular was very track focussed.

In this instance i'd like a lower centre of gravity for improved handling and a better stance to the car... on a budget.

Shouldn't this post be on the VXR forum....!!!?? :puh:

Sorry but I just can't get my head around why you would put aesthetics above handling and build quality, on a performance car..!?

It's never going to handle as well as my previous car, but id like it sat with a nice stance, and improved handling over stock..

If they make budget coilovers for the 996, there's obviously a demand. its just finding someone brave enough to admit they've ran them on a 996 and how they perform.

^^^what he says (Spectralux)^^^

could well shoot yourself in foot here

i can see what your saying and i expected this exact response, but im hoping someones brave enough to say they have experience with budget 996 coilovers.

im on a budget that doesnt stretch any further... and leaving it stock isnt an option

If you want cheap and need to go lower you would be best considering just changing the springs unless there is an issue with your original shockers. If you want better handling you could find the cheap coil overs may not really help much unless you know how to set them up correctly. It would take time and more money doing this right.

In theory you already have a well set up car that took millions in development to get that way, it almost has a standard coil over set up anyway. I'm not sure what you were driving before but it must of been really good to handle better than a modern 911.

I lowered mine to get the look right and the handling does seem about the same as before I did the lowering, I only changed the springs though.

fred666 said:

Ive ran nitrogen filled coilovers, gaz, fk's, bilsteins, eibach coilovers and springs / dampening setups in the past i've tried a few few setups/brands.

In this instance i'd like a lower centre of gravity and a better stance to the car... on a budget.
The aesthetic aspect needs consideration, too, of course. Not only will the car sit lower, but also needs to be seen to have been given a lower stance. Indeed, there are those who argue that enhancement of the kinaesthetic experience of both driver and observers in such cases is essential. This explains the side decals or 'go-faster stripes' on many cars, of course.

infrasilver said:
I lowered mine to get the look right and the handling does seem about the same as before I did the lowering, I only changed the springs though.

I've lowered previous cars on quality lowering springs and found the handling to be either unchanged or improved slightly so it's definitely a consideration for my 996. However, I found increased tyre wear on the inner edges of at least the front tyres when lowered, even after re-alignment. Have you noticed any increased tyre wear on yours? And are using standard geometry settings on the lowered chassis? At a guess the X74 chassis settings should be something like for a -30mm drop for instance??

Apologies for being slightly off topic :?:

simon_house said:
infrasilver said:

I've lowered previous cars on quality lowering springs and found the handling to be either unchanged or improved slightly so it's definitely a consideration for my 996. However, I found increased tyre wear on the inner edges of at least the front tyres when lowered, even after re-alignment. Have you noticed any increased tyre wear on yours? And are using standard geometry settings on the lowered chassis? At a guess the X74 chassis settings should be something like for a -30mm drop for instance??

By lowering a car you are essentially cambering in the setup so this will explain inner tyre wear. although to camber in the wheels 'naturally' it has to be pretty low.

Infrasilver - I haven't come from a boyracer fwd hot hatch which i 'claim' to handle, I previously drove a well specced vx220, so im all to familiar with handling, Most would say a perfect handling car from factory and id almost agree if it wasnt for the fact of upgrading to Gaz Gold with 425F & 475R Spring rates - perfect for a fast road setup...

If i was in the position to pay top money for coilovers i would, but as mentioned im on a budget of around £1000, i don't want springs and i can't justify £3000 on a setup when i'll only use the car around 3000miles a year.

fred666 said:
simon_house said:
infrasilver said:

By lowering a car you are essentially cambering in the setup so this will explain inner tyre wear. although to camber in the wheels 'naturally' it has to be pretty low.

Infrasilver - I haven't come from a boyracer fwd hot hatch which i 'claim' to handle, I previously drove a well specced vx220, so im all to familiar with handling, Most would say a perfect handling car from factory and id almost agree if it wasnt for the fact of upgrading to Gaz Gold with 425F & 475R Spring rates - perfect for a fast road setup...

If i was in the position to pay top money for coilovers i would, but as mentioned im on a budget of around £1000, i don't want springs and i can't justify £3000 on a setup when i'll only use the car around 3000miles a year.

I've researched this and I'd go for Bilstein Yellow B12's with Eibach 30mm springs. This is fairly close to the GT3 setup and stance.

Cost about £1400.

simon_house said:
infrasilver said:

Just adjusting the alignment (toe-in) would not compensate fully for the shorter springs. Use of shorter springs would increase negative camber, causing the increased wear on the inner edges of the tyres you noticed. The camber is also adjustable.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back