Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Possible engine problem Major or Minor

I have re checked the crank sensor and it is reading 8 ohms so it looks like its not faulty, although the AA said it wasn't producing voltage???

I took the sump off today to have a closer look and found a couple of bits that hadn't made it to the filter or sump plug but they don't look like they came from the IMS bearing. There are 3 piece's and they look almost like a valve guide but a lot shorter than I have seen a valve guide look like. They have not broken in length just down its side. Although I'm not sure what it would be. Like a small cylindrical part.
Personally I have a suspicion that it could be from the timing chain.
Pic below, any guesses :?:

I must say I've been very thorough the last couple of days searching for metal that would ordinarily get missed even with a filter split.
Along with a magnetic plug and filter split I think its worth dropping the sump too as its only a half hour job to get off and back on.

Either way it looks like the engine is coming out. :sad: Not the news I wanted.

001.jpg

very sorry to hear that, from the description you gave of it stopping it didn't sound terminal.

best of luck

MC

MisterCorn said:
very sorry to hear that, from the description you gave of it stopping it didn't sound terminal.

best of luck

MC

It did just seem to cut out without any fuss. It's maybe still all intact but now has lost cam to crank timing due to the chain being slack. It doesn't make any untoward noises when it was turning over.
I won't really know until its out and in bits.

EDIT. I've just found some pictures of a 996 chain thats snapped. I feel this is what mine has done the more I think/look. :pc:

See you all next year...maybe. :bye:

Looks like bits of timing chain roller to me. Not good. I don't think you have much choice about dropping the engine out.

Ouch, sorry to hear this :(

It sounds like it needs taking apart for a looksie, but no clashing was definitely a positive!

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Cheers,

infrasilver said:
MisterCorn said:

best of luck

MC

It did just seem to cut out without any fuss. It's maybe still all intact but now has lost cam to crank timing due to the chain being slack. It doesn't make any untoward noises when it was turning over.
I won't really know until its out and in bits.

EDIT. I've just found some pictures of a 996 chain thats snapped. I feel this is what mine has done the more I think/look. :pc:

See you all next year...maybe. :bye:

Sorry to hear the bad news mate! These cars really are a labour of love, a sane person would surely not buy one :hand:. I was watching this thread hoping for the best and not an expensive rebuild... Im in the same boat at the moment and although mine is still running it is being dropped this weekend for possible cylinder head work. :x

Keep us updated and all the best getting this fixed!

Starting the engine pull Tomorrow Morning and hope to have it out Saturday and then I can start stripping it.
Fingers crossed its only a few bent valves but the crank case will need to be split to fit new chains. :eek:

Does anyone know a good (engine) Indy around Heathrow as I'll be working that way for the foreseeable future and might need work doing whilst down there?

Know plenty the other side of the M25.... I was going to pull mine with a few mates but a local indy done me a fixed price deal on all the rebuild work if I supply parts.... here is to hoping mine is just a gasket or something.

Arn't porschacraft (sp?) over north london way so not a million miles away?

There's only two companies I'd consider.

Autofarm and Hartech.

Autofarm are Oxford way, so not too far away.

If it's bad, I'd go Hartech on a low loader personally.

GD said:
There's only two companies I'd consider.

Autofarm and Hartech.

Autofarm are Oxford way, so not too far away.

If it's bad, I'd go Hartech on a low loader personally.

I phoned hartech last week about mine, I was basically told a base cost if I have the engine delivered on a pallet, assuming there is no bottom end damage,,, started at 2.2k. I proceeded to ask what it could be over base, this was followed by "that depends what you want to spend"... No doubt they are just about the best about but they certainly arn't cheap.

Hi Chris, that's not an encouraging find. Given the lack of 'terminal' noises at the time the engine stopped, I have my fingers crossed for you that the failure didn't result in too much collateral damage.

oz996 said:
Hi Chris, that's not an encouraging find. Given the lack of 'terminal' noises at the time the engine stopped, I have my fingers crossed for you that the failure didn't result in too much collateral damage.

I'm just curious if did hear mechanical noise now. What I mean is I didn't hear anything untoward but I'm not really sure what I should of heard. I've even got the video of when it happened and there is not any obvious noise.
I'm expecting the worst though.

I'll going through your engine drop procedures tomorrow.

infrasilver said:
oz996 said:

I'm just curious if did hear mechanical noise now. What I mean is I didn't hear anything untoward but I'm not really sure what I should of heard. I've even got the video of when it happened and there is not any obvious noise.
I'm expecting the worst though.

I'll going through your engine drop procedures tomorrow.

I'd have offered to give you a hand on the weekend but I'm tied up with the Waddington airshow all weekend.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back