Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC warranty

You should have the 111 inspection done whilst the car is still under opc warranty, they will simply fix the required items and charge you for the inspection plus the warranty, also get a two year warranty that way the inspection cost is halved. Its a no brainer, buy the warranty, the peace of mind alone is worth every penny and if you sell after the first year your car will much better with one year of genuine opc warranty, just do it, you know it makes sense. Mike

^^ What Mike say's 100 % :thumb:

I have had the warranty wise one , its spot on as long as you get your porsche dealer on side they help with the normal gripes from warranty wise.
They have payed out on all claims its silly things they let them self down on like not paying for the paint when i needed a new reversing sensor.
You can beat them down on the price of the warranty , i got 3 years for about the same as 1 from porsche. :bandit:

p1rob said:
^^ What Mike say's 100 % :thumb:

+1, that's what I've decided to do, but obviously you have to pay the OPC premium in the first place to get the 2y warranty.

Something to bear in mind when purchasing the car, pay now, save later :thumb:

So do some do that, get the car 111 checked whilst still under warranty and then the OPC will just fix any issues they find?

The feeling I have after listening to wise words from all is "JFDI" :judge:

as T8996C4 sauid £2.79 a day is naff all. Despite being a Northerner and tight as a ducks back side, I forked out for the car, I cherish it more than the missus and spend a lot on expensive stuff to make it shiny so why not fork out the extra mile to enjoy hassle free motoring!

Seems daft not to and I am sure that the law of sod is just waiting for me to make the wrong decision AS EVER!

Great help thanks all :thumb:

Gibbo205 said:
So do some do that, get the car 111 checked whilst still under warranty and then the OPC will just fix any issues they find?

This is exactly what my OPC advised me to do. They suggested bringing it in a couple of weeks before the existing warranty ran out so that any issues that came up from the inspection could be sorted under the current policy.
Lo and behold, RMS being done today.

FLETCHER said:
I have had the warranty wise one , its spot on as long as you get your porsche dealer on side they help with the normal gripes from warranty wise.
They have payed out on all claims its silly things they let them self down on like not paying for the paint when i needed a new reversing sensor.
You can beat them down on the price of the warranty , i got 3 years for about the same as 1 from porsche. :bandit:
Quite interested in your opinion of WW as I am "hopefully" buying a 997S tomorrow and am currently looking at all avenues for warranties.

I got a quote from WW which came in at £800/1 year, £1470/2 years, based on labour rate of £75/hour and single claim limit of £5k. No pre-inspection needed although I'm having a PPI done as I type and any work identified will be carried out, including boroscope and compression test.

It'll be serviced at an indy with labour rates of about £45/hour and if the engine does go pop I'd take it to Hartech for a rebuild. So, on the face of it the WW warranty does seem good value which just leaves the obvious questions: how easy it is to deal with them and what is excluded that could/should be included?

Cost of PPI

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost o the PPI and the warranty.
I am about to buy a 2005 C2S and have to decide wether to get the OPC warranty or take the risk, I am a low mileage driver covering around 2000 miles a year so maybe the warranty isn't really worth it for me.
This will be my first 911 having had a boxster a few years ago I am really looking forward to the extra umph of the 911

I have owned several Porsches, and have to say that knowing you have a OPC warranty behind you gives so much more pleasure to the whole experience, you can wind up the engine and hear the howl without one single worry! look at it as a part of the total value /price of your car.FWIW I would never entertain these third party warranties, you quite simply get what you pay for, just go and get the Porsche warranty even if you have to take out a small loan, ie overdraft extension etc, you will reap the rewards , I know I have all the best whatever you decide Mike

mike brown said:
I would never entertain these third party warranties, you quite simply get what you pay for
Unfortunately, that's not completely true. From first-hand experience I know for a fact that Porsche seem to dream up work that needs doing to a car, whether it needs it or not. Now, if you already have an OPC warranty and are looking to renew, then you're probably right - just stump up the (totally unjustified) £220 for their inspection and let them get on with it. However, if you don't have a warranty in place to start with it is a completely different matter. The WW one (for example) doesn't require that you have it pre-inspected, it also doesn't stop you from fitting non-Porsche parts, however inconsequential they may appear.

The OPC could well cover you for additional items (I'm trying to determine if so and what at the moment) but tbh I'm only really bothered about the engine and a potential £7k bill for a rebuild. In actual fact, given that I'm getting a boroscope and compression test done it could be argued that I don't really need a warranty at all in that case as I'd know the condition of the engine in advance

Of course you are correct that if seeking a OPC warranty for the first time on a well used car then the 111 inspection could cost a quite substantial amount, but the op has already got a OPC warranty in place. Therefore any work should be FOC, but in all honesty I dont blame Porsche for insisting for genuine parts, because standards have to be kept and its one rule for all..standardisation if you like. I bet neither you nor I would be any different if it were us having to stand by such a potential big repair bill, Porsche or any make. Regards Mike

mike brown said:
Of course you are correct that if seeking a OPC warranty for the first time on a well used car then the 111 inspection could cost a quite substantial amount, but the op has already got a OPC warranty in place. Therefore any work should be FOC, but in all honesty I dont blame Porsche for insisting for genuine parts, because standards have to be kept and its one rule for all..standardisation if you like. I bet neither you nor I would be any different if it were us having to stand by such a potential big repair bill, Porsche or any make. Regards Mike
Yes, I agree (for what my opinion is worth!!!) the OP would be well served to go down the OPC route. My later comments were really just general observations on the whole warranty topic. Probably just ramblings of a middle-aged bloke! :lol:

Regarding genuine parts, I agree with you. To a point. To dismiss a claim for say, a failed damper, on the basis that you have a non-OEM battery is probably illegal but they do. But to dismiss a claim for a failed alternator on the basis that you have a non-OEM battery might well be harsh and unfair, but it could (at a push) be argued that they do have a point. In that way, you're trapped in the overpriced OPC network to a large extent.

At the end of the day, the warranty is just an Insurance policy and unfortunately it's rare that we, the punter, come out on top.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back