Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 31
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

916SP

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feeling I have after listening to wise words from all is "JFDI" Judge

as T8996C4 sauid £2.79 a day is naff all. Despite being a Northerner and tight as a ducks back side, I forked out for the car, I cherish it more than the missus and spend a lot on expensive stuff to make it shiny so why not fork out the extra mile to enjoy hassle free motoring!

Seems daft not to and I am sure that the law of sod is just waiting for me to make the wrong decision AS EVER!

Great help thanks all Thumb

Chris_
Silverstone

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo205 wrote:
So do some do that, get the car 111 checked whilst still under warranty and then the OPC will just fix any issues they find?

This is exactly what my OPC advised me to do. They suggested bringing it in a couple of weeks before the existing warranty ran out so that any issues that came up from the inspection could be sorted under the current policy.
Lo and behold, RMS being done today.

worldwidewebs

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLETCHER wrote:
I have had the warranty wise one , its spot on as long as you get your porsche dealer on side they help with the normal gripes from warranty wise.
They have payed out on all claims its silly things they let them self down on like not paying for the paint when i needed a new reversing sensor.
You can beat them down on the price of the warranty , i got 3 years for about the same as 1 from porsche. Bandit

Quite interested in your opinion of WW as I am "hopefully" buying a 997S tomorrow and am currently looking at all avenues for warranties.

I got a quote from WW which came in at £800/1 year, £1470/2 years, based on labour rate of £75/hour and single claim limit of £5k. No pre-inspection needed although I'm having a PPI done as I type and any work identified will be carried out, including boroscope and compression test.

It'll be serviced at an indy with labour rates of about £45/hour and if the engine does go pop I'd take it to Hartech for a rebuild. So, on the face of it the WW warranty does seem good value which just leaves the obvious questions: how easy it is to deal with them and what is excluded that could/should be included?

Jrmuk

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Cost of PPI Reply with quote

Can anyone give me an idea of the cost o the PPI and the warranty.
I am about to buy a 2005 C2S and have to decide wether to get the OPC warranty or take the risk, I am a low mileage driver covering around 2000 miles a year so maybe the warranty isn't really worth it for me.
This will be my first 911 having had a boxster a few years ago I am really looking forward to the extra umph of the 911

mike brown
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned several Porsches, and have to say that knowing you have a OPC warranty behind you gives so much more pleasure to the whole experience, you can wind up the engine and hear the howl without one single worry! look at it as a part of the total value /price of your car.FWIW I would never entertain these third party warranties, you quite simply get what you pay for, just go and get the Porsche warranty even if you have to take out a small loan, ie overdraft extension etc, you will reap the rewards , I know I have all the best whatever you decide Mike

worldwidewebs

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike brown wrote:
I would never entertain these third party warranties, you quite simply get what you pay for

Unfortunately, that's not completely true. From first-hand experience I know for a fact that Porsche seem to dream up work that needs doing to a car, whether it needs it or not. Now, if you already have an OPC warranty and are looking to renew, then you're probably right - just stump up the (totally unjustified) £220 for their inspection and let them get on with it. However, if you don't have a warranty in place to start with it is a completely different matter. The WW one (for example) doesn't require that you have it pre-inspected, it also doesn't stop you from fitting non-Porsche parts, however inconsequential they may appear.

The OPC could well cover you for additional items (I'm trying to determine if so and what at the moment) but tbh I'm only really bothered about the engine and a potential £7k bill for a rebuild. In actual fact, given that I'm getting a boroscope and compression test done it could be argued that I don't really need a warranty at all in that case as I'd know the condition of the engine in advance

mike brown
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you are correct that if seeking a OPC warranty for the first time on a well used car then the 111 inspection could cost a quite substantial amount, but the op has already got a OPC warranty in place. Therefore any work should be FOC, but in all honesty I dont blame Porsche for insisting for genuine parts, because standards have to be kept and its one rule for all..standardisation if you like. I bet neither you nor I would be any different if it were us having to stand by such a potential big repair bill, Porsche or any make. Regards Mike

worldwidewebs

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike brown wrote:
Of course you are correct that if seeking a OPC warranty for the first time on a well used car then the 111 inspection could cost a quite substantial amount, but the op has already got a OPC warranty in place. Therefore any work should be FOC, but in all honesty I dont blame Porsche for insisting for genuine parts, because standards have to be kept and its one rule for all..standardisation if you like. I bet neither you nor I would be any different if it were us having to stand by such a potential big repair bill, Porsche or any make. Regards Mike

Yes, I agree (for what my opinion is worth!!!) the OP would be well served to go down the OPC route. My later comments were really just general observations on the whole warranty topic. Probably just ramblings of a middle-aged bloke! Laughing

Regarding genuine parts, I agree with you. To a point. To dismiss a claim for say, a failed damper, on the basis that you have a non-OEM battery is probably illegal but they do. But to dismiss a claim for a failed alternator on the basis that you have a non-OEM battery might well be harsh and unfair, but it could (at a push) be argued that they do have a point. In that way, you're trapped in the overpriced OPC network to a large extent.

At the end of the day, the warranty is just an insurance policy and unfortunately it's rare that we, the punter, come out on top.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: