Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Test driving the 991

manek

Montreal
I said I'd drop some (slightly) more coherent thoughts in here on the new 991, so here goes:

I approached the new PDK-equipped 991 with some excitement: it was mine for the rest of the day and until 0900 the next morning. But would it be better? It's certainly bigger and the new shape and wheelbase with smaller overhangs looks much better than my 997.

Once inside the car, I was less than taken with the new central console. It looks nice but in terms of practicality, there's lots of controls that require you to take your eye off the road for a considerable time, as I found out. It feels like a good place to be - but but I found the fatter steering wheel was a little alien. Maybe I'd get used to it.

Adjusting the driving position and mirrors etc in my test car (thanks to Mid-Sussex OPC) was easy, just like the 997. Sport mode on, sports exhaust enabled, car into Drive and away we went.

I drove the best part of 200 miles that day and the first couple of hours of the next. Motorways, twisty country lanes, London rush-hour stop-start, fast sweeping A-roads, I tried to cover all the bases, driving in full auto, semi-manual and manual (using paddles).

Performance is a given of course: it goes fantastically well. Ditto build quality, no questions there. But when it comes to the driving experience, the default mode is not aimed at the driving enthusiast. The 911 has been a dual-mode machine for some time, good at both twisties and motorway cruising but I feel that the 991 takes the latter mode even further at the expense of the former.

How so? What can I add to what's already been said about the steering? It is more numb than before, you can't feel as much and, I found, when cornering at slow speed, the assistance on a couple of occasions resulted in my turning the wheel too far. Yes it weights up as you corner but it doesn't feel as connected.

This was a little worrying while on damp twisties. Nothing bad happened but I didn't feel very confident. I'm no driving god so doubtless that's part if it, along with the damp road and the fact that I had to return it in one piece which meant I wasn't pushing hard. But it's on those roads that you really want to feel that the car is responding instantly and precisely. It was almost there but I felt more comfortable pushing on in the 997.

There's another thing. PDK is a layer of obfuscation, of disconnection, of distancing from the sensory delight of driving. There's no doubt it's a tour-de-force of technology. I couldn't fault it, and for rush-hour driving (which normally never do) it's a boon. But it also meant I didn't have full control over the throttle, and the delays while the system figures out what you want to do are disconcerting. And on twisties, gear changing is part of the fun. So I'd still never choose automatic -- even though my OPC reckons that about 80 percent of buyers now do.

Maybe I need more time in the 991, as it's certainly a machine with much depth of character. Maybe I need to try a manual, see how that feels. But I drove a Cayman S recently and felt much more at home in that much more quickly, than in the 991. Has the plot been lost?

Good review :thumbs:

I haven't been lucky enough to spend anywhere near that length of time behind the wheel of a 991! Was it a 991 S or base Carrera? What options did it have, did it have PDCC? From what I've read it really improves the level of confidence.

Thanks! :)

It was an S and it didn't have PDCC that I know of (I didn't think to ask but I'm sure the sales guy would have mentioned it). In terms of options, good question: it was mid-spec, I think. I'll email the salesman and get a full list of the spec...

Here's the full spec (thanks to David Lees @ Mid-Sussex):
20" Carrera Classic Alloy Wheels
PCM Touch-Screen Navigation
Bluetooth Telephone Module
Sports Exhaust
Sport Chrono Pack Plus
Adaptive Sports Seats
Heated Seats
Sport Design Steering Wheel
Park Assist Front And Rear
Power Steering Plus
Auto Dimming Mirrors And Rainsensor
Electric Folding Mirrors
Light Design Pack
Coloured Wheel Crests
Bose Sound System
Porsche VTS
Including 3rd Year Warranty
VAT Qualifying Vehicle

PDCC is a "got to have" in my opinion :drive:

Also, Nav touch screen is standard fit now.

Yes, you're right about the touch-screen - I just and pasted from his optional equipment list. Grr....

Great write up!

I know what you mean on the general manual vs auto topic, and you wouldn't find many better auto boxes than the PDK however you will find you need more time with an auto-box than 24 hours before you start to understand how to adjust your driving style to become confident. Once you as a human understand what its going to do, you learn how to balance the throttle to get the best performance.

I absolutely loved my manual gen1 997 for the fact it was manual however every car I have had since has been auto/tip. I have discussed this with a lot of people in the trade recently and we believe that manual cars will be a thing of the past very soon excluding low end cheap cars. On that basis it is my opinion / advice to think very carefully before spending £90K on a manual car. I know you buy a car to drive not for re-sale alone but we all have to be mindful of re-sale (unless you have so much money its not important).

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back