Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CATDT Great Day Today, Then A Possible Faulty Lightswitch?

911turbo996

Had a great day at the CATDT event today, more details in the Track Day section.. However on the way home tonight stopped and left the car for an hour, returned to it and the headlights would not turn on. Switched several times and still no joy, then on the last attempt they turned on. Got home, and tried the light switch again and they turned on first time. Turned off and then they would not turn on again. I suspect I have a faulty switch. Is there anyway of cleaning the switch contacts, or is this a new switch? Googled it and it appears to be quite a common issue.. Design911 appear not to stock the switch though?

Yep, common issue, cleaning not really an option, just replace, easy enough by removing end panel of dash.

If you're upto it, and while the light switch is out the way consider replacing ign switch next to it, as these also tend to give up at awkward moments.

Contrary to the last reply you can fix this switch as so very easilly.
The switch is simply held together by detents in a steel bezel.
Take the switch out and prise the indents outwards - there are about 8 half round indents in the upper part of the switch (plastic) the lower section with the steel band simply has the steel pressed into the indent of the plastic - so a small screwdriver to prise the metal out of the indent will allow you to seperate the switch - once seperated dont worry about springs and pieces falling out - there are none to fall out - inside is simply a number of bent copper spring metal that makes or breaks contact as you rotate the switch - just clean the contacts with wet and dry paper or simiilar and by looking at the contacts you can see which way to bend the metal to make a better contact if one or more dont seem to be making the correct contact - a meter will help here to establish which contacts are good and which need attention.
I know this all sounds rather complicated - its not.

There is a photoset on Boxa.net of the lightswitch taken apart.

bobsan said:
If you're upto it, and while the light switch is out the way consider replacing ign switch next to it, as these also tend to give up at awkward moments.

Has a design change (=improvement) been made to the switches to eliminate the cause of spontaneous failure? Are these failures the result of wear, or is it a purely a lottery as to whether they fail or not?

If not, who's to say that a new switch will be more reliable than the original one?

Apart from acknowledged wearing parts like brake discs and pads or clutches, I think the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" has a lot going for it.

Thanks for the replies, my thoughts are try to repair and if no joy opt for a new switch.. I'll let you know how things go.

Now all fixed thanks to a £4.99 tin of contact cleaner from Maplin, a good soak of the switch and an overnight stint on the radiator to dry out.

I can see in the dark again.. amazing how much joy a working light switch can give you.

911turbo996 said:
Now all fixed thanks to a £4.99 tin of contact cleaner from Maplin, a good soak of the switch and an overnight stint on the radiator to dry out.

I can see in the dark again.. amazing how much joy a working light switch can give you.

Did you take yours apart as glyn suggested or just dunked the whole thing in some cleaner?

Mine is "iffy" and fancy giving the repair option a go first before replacement.

Basically dismantled and removed the switch from the dash and then sprayed with enough fluid from the top, down the shaft until fluid appeared at the bottom of the switch. Replaced the front plastic switch and turned all positions multiple times, waited a minute then switched it again, multiple times. Link to cleaner used..

Maplin link : http://www.maplin.co.uk/contact-cleaner-4153

Placed on the radiator overnight and fitted next morning. Then there was light!

I figured I didn't want to take the switch apart unless the steps above did not work. as it was I didn't need to. :)

911turbo996 said:
Basically dismantled and removed the switch from the dash and then sprayed with enough fluid from the top, down the shaft until fluid appeared at the bottom of the switch. Replaced the front plastic switch and turned all positions multiple times, waited a minute then switched it again, multiple times. Link to cleaner used..

Maplin link : http://www.maplin.co.uk/contact-cleaner-4153

Placed on the radiator overnight and fitted next morning. Then there was light!

I figured I didn't want to take the switch apart unless the steps above did not work. as it was I didn't need to. :)

Spankyou! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back