Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Oversteer's off at Brünnchen, Nurburgring Nordschleife

orangecurry said:
Rialas said:
Ok, I'll confess, I also had a "moment" with the back end of my car 6 months back, and I how I saved it is still a puzzle to me and just pure luck.

It's shocking how the back end can let go without warning.

Not pure luck - an excellent rear axle/suspension design that feeds back info to the driver who then reacts and helps the car through perfectly weighted controls... so the back DIDN'T let go without any warning :thumb:

Seriously hope yours never bites you :nooo:

dommorton said:
orangecurry said:
Rialas said:
Ok, I'll confess, I also had a "moment" with the back end of my car 6 months back, and I how I saved it is still a puzzle to me and just pure luck.

It's shocking how the back end can let go without warning.

Not pure luck - an excellent rear axle/suspension design that feeds back info to the driver who then reacts and helps the car through perfectly weighted controls... so the back DIDN'T let go without any warning :thumb:

Seriously hope yours never bites you :nooo:

Sorry Dom I wasn't having a subconscious 'go' at you :oops: your off was different - it wasn't a '993 bites you'; it was a 'diesel spill arrgh' where the driver of any car becomes a passenger and has no chance.

That's cool no worries. Just be careful with the confidence in these cars. It really doesn't take much for it to all go very wild and scary.

I also blame the diesel (or the heavy engine in the back). :dont know:

dommorton said:
Just be careful with the confidence in these cars. It really doesn't take much for it to all go very wild and scary.

Agreed, however the 993 does inspire confidence. I've driven 20,000 in mine including some track days and never once has it done anything unexpected even in the cold, wet and snow. Even on unexpected patches of ice on a bend, I've retained control of the car.

Plenty of cars I've driven previously have had massive unexpected and uncontrollable snap oversteer moments at relatively low speed eg. Peugeot 205, Corrado, BMW E30 and 964 C2.

dommorton said:
That's cool no worries. Just be careful with the confidence in these cars. It really doesn't take much for it to all go very wild and scary.

I really wouldn't give up on rwd 911's based on your experience dom, I had a very similar scare in my first vx220 turbo (about the same weight distribution as a 911 believe or not) off a wet roundabout whilst driving sedately but luckily kept it on the road through pure luck, took about 15 correction before I regained control, pretty sure that was diesel as it snapped so severely. The problem with rear engine cars is you really have to get to the end of the rack quickly as when they snap physics are against you.

In my opinion I doubt you would have fared any better in a 4wd 911 as you would probably have had a much higher entry speed due to the extra confidence 4wd can give hence negating any advantage 4wd would have at getting you out of the brown stuff, plus no matter how many wheels are driven any 911 is still technically a pendulum!

Hi Infrasilver.....

Looks to me like that 'idiot biker' was still well in front of the other car when you were passing the 350z, so it was that other car driver's fault that he ended up going on the grass wasn't it?

Will

Will Statt said:
Hi Infrasilver.....

Looks to me like that 'idiot biker' was still well in front of the other car when you were passing the 350z, so it was that other car driver's fault that he ended up going on the grass wasn't it?

Will

He was in front, but the Clio was actuallymuch quicker and overtaking at the time when the biker swings across the track at him, even another biker pulls along side him and points at his mirrors at 1:34. When being over taken its best to keep right. He just didn't seem to think anyone else was on the track. That's the reason I held back until I knew it was safe to overtake him, I was gutted I didn't get past him when there was that yellow flag but no overtaking allowed then.

:agree:

Whether that biker was directly or indirectly responsible he should still know better, he needs a lesson in how to use his mirrors and yield to other drivers before he ends up dead, or worse, kills someone else... :nooo:

infrasilver said:
Get to the Zebra crossing and its going to tighten, this is what I've learnt doing the Ring pity these guys in front of me didn't realise. Although the one closest to me was riding well until the other two turned up. I do take my time when I come across bikers on the Nurburgring.

The biker you were following made an all too common mistake which was to follow the guy in front (which looked like a moped?). The moped guy got his line wrong and as any biker knows, rule #1 - if you hit the front brakes then the bike straightens up or you come off. The biker following had to brake because he had no idea where moped guy would end up but by watching him then fell foul of Rule #2 - if you look at it then you will hit it...

Lucky boy... :nooo:

chimp911 said:
infrasilver said:
Get to the Zebra crossing and its going to tighten, this is what I've learnt doing the Ring pity these guys in front of me didn't realise. Although the one closest to me was riding well until the other two turned up. I do take my time when I come across bikers on the Nurburgring.

The biker you were following made an all too common mistake which was to follow the guy in front (which looked like a moped?). The moped guy got his line wrong and as any biker knows, rule #1 - if you hit the front brakes then the bike straightens up or you come off. The biker following had to brake because he had no idea where moped guy would end up but by watching him then fell foul of Rule #2 - if you look at it then you will hit it...

I agree.

The other guy in front that doesn't veer off makes me laugh, you can just hear him thinking "were's Wolfgang gone".

chimp911 said:
infrasilver said:

Rule #3 rules are far easier to apply in hindsight than in reality :D

Just to add my Rule#4, simply on a TF day there are no rules. None that I could see anyway. On my last TF public day it reminded me of Mad Max, indeed at one point whilst a passenger in a car which was overtaking another car, the Nissan GTR behind decided to come between both cars, so 3 cars a breast. Of course the GTR driver could have waited just seconds and gone past safely, but he didn't. It could have been a disaster, that's what happens on a busy day, there are idiots out there who follow no rules. I would have more confidence if the marshals actually took action against these idiots. On a busy TF day your best bet is to hire a car, I would not use my own car. It's simply too dangerous out there.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back