Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cab ordered today

Thanks GT4, really want to see a pic in Black with silver wheels, the black on black is a bit too much for me.

Hmmm, white, I'm still swaying between the two, but I think it will remain Basalt black. Thanks Nick and Roro, I will just have to try and keep it clean, which as it's my daily drive is always a pain!

I have a 991 Carrera S from Saturday afternoon, until Monday morning, I will make sure that I do my own report :D

I think white looks great and is best with black wheels (silver rim). The stone guards (just in front of the rear wheels) have a tendency to fade and yellow over time though...

You can't fail with black (my last 3 cars and bike have been) and while they get very dirty very quickly, I don't think they look any the worse for it. I'm still not sure whether black wheels on a black car is a bit too much, don't get me wrong I reckon it looks great, but I think I prefer having a bit more contrast if I'm being honest... :dont know:

My C2S was Basalt and my GT3 is white - both look great clean, but both a PITA to live with. Washing the black in summer was a race against time to avoid water marks and with the white, I only have to open the garage doors in winter and it needs cleaning !

Best colour I have owned (read least effort) was boring old silver (Audi TT and e46 M3) - would take a lot of dirt before looking awful and was sorted with a quick sponge and hose off

Silver with black roof and wheels may look the part?

nsm3 said:
Best colour I have owned (read least effort) was boring old silver, would take a lot of dirt before looking awful and was sorted with a quick sponge and hose off

That's why I went for silver + I like the look of the car in that colour :worship:

Problem is the username 911SilverEd has already been claimed by Phillip Schofield :eek:ld:

I quite like the look of the blues; Aqua looks great in the photos I've seen so far, and there was a darker blue one at the Wilmslow launch which looked stunning with red calipers. 8)

Or if anyone fancies a yellow one (base Carrera, PSE and sports seats but no other options, yellow stitching and belts on the interior) I'll take it off your hands in 3 years or so... :whistle:

chimp911 said:
Problem is the username 911SilverEd has already been claimed by Phillip Schofield :eek:ld:

That's it, I'm staying with the Basalt Black, after all I would hate to have to change my username!! :floor:

Ok, have half written my review of the 991 Carrera S that I had from Saturday until today, but have now added three options since my test drive.

Interior light package
Steering plus
PDCC

Last one is a costly option, but the car I had over the weekend was amazing compared to the other that I drove this morning. Completely different in character.

More tomorrow!

Ok, Picked up from Mid Sussex Saturday afternoon a 991 Carrera S, lots of extras that I wanted to try, including PSE. Got told that the standard car they had, also sounded fantastic without PSE, but wasn't convinced and so took the one with, also had Sport Chrono.

First impressions were and still are that this car has changed completely in character, and I must say completely for the better. Firstly, upon turning the key, the noise from the PSE is amazing, it is a totally different characteristic of the car now, the added benefit of this is that on overrun with the PSE you get this wicked cackle from the exhaust, the trouble is that it does no good for fuel economy as you are forever on and off the throttle in order to hear it!

The ride comfort in this car was amazing, the demo had PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control), and I was astounded at how the car could ride this smoothly and stay totally flat in the bends. The demo also had Steering plus, which you really can feel the effect of, I know that many have said that losing the hydralic system is a huge loss to the 911, but for my use of the car, it is perfect as you are not constantly sawing at the wheel as it rides over bumps, which makes a longer drive much more enjoyable, added to this the front end bobbing that my 997 had is completely gone, this was really noticable at higher speeds, and on a rough undulating dual carriageway made the outgoing model feel unstable.

Interior, I was really concerned about this one, as I am not a Panamera fan and was worried that I would really dislike the new centre console, the only slight niggle that I had with the console is that on cornering, your left knee seems to press quite hard into it, it didn't quite feel natural, but on the plus side, the offset pedals seems to be more centred which makes for a straighter back, and thus no back ache on a long drive. The seats were as comfortable as my 997, unfortunately they were not sports seats+ (with added wings) and as I am quite broad-shouldered I missed this. The instruments are very clear, but with all the new buttons it does take some time to get used to where everything is. The demo had the interior lighting pack, this in the Panamera I think is gaudy, but in this it is very very, well, sexy, and I have added this now to my build.

The roof lining and pillars are covered in alcatara, which really finishes the car off very nicely, one thing that I did seem to notice is that the dashboard really seems deep, and gone is the feeling that you have your nose pressed to the windscreen (I know that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean). Door pockets completely changed, gone are the integral door bins, and have been replaced with side pockets that can be opened out for larger items (an Audi feature that I like).

The other feature I like, something that I really couldn't see why it didn't do this before, is that the stopwatch on the dash is now dual function, ie, it behaves as a lovely clock for 99% of it's life, and a lap timer for those whom wish to use it as such.

The lighting on the demo car was dynamic, and a vast improvement on the previous system, as the previous system I believe (GT4 correct me if I am wrong) had a halogen 'infill' bulb that gives you your forward light whilst turning, I am not a lover of this system, as it can become distracting to your night driving. Auto headlight's too!!!

Power delivery is awesome in this car, the closest I have driven to this is a GTS, but the 991 appeared to me to give a far smoother delivery of the same result, in Sports Plus, the delivery is exceptionally aggressive, but the real kick in the back seems to have gone on gear change, this is something of an improvement as at times in the GTS it would bang into gear so hard that it would lose traction on a damp surface, and when you are already doing... at most 65... it became a bit disconcerting. The new software in the PDK seems to learn your driving style at that moment far better than the previous version, I did however find that at times that the gearbox when put into sport, or sport plus, was staying in normal mode, I do wonder if there will be an update for this at some point.

Braking is another area which this car excelled, the pedal now seems to be slightly more assisted than before, but not overly, and gave me total confidence when braking hard.

I was very sad to take this car back to the dealership, as I really fell in love with it over the weekend. After I took it back, I then took out a more standard 991 Carrera S without PSE, without PDCC, without Sports Chrono. When I turned the key with the salesman's words of the standard one without PSE sounds amazing, just didn't ring true, although to be fair to him, I have spent far longer driving the cars than he has by this point, it was disappointing. What's the point of having a sports car without all the noise! The other thing that I noticed while driving this car was that without the PDCC the car really didn't ride as well, it was more unsettled in a straight line over a bumpy road, and the cornering was not as sharp, the whole car just felt, well, loose, this is why I was glad that I could still add this option as well.

I hope this gives an insight into my experience, I would say that if you are going to spend this amount of money on a car, drive it for as long as possible, and as many different variations/options of car as possible, as it really will make the ownership far more enjoyable.

Now... if I could only fast forward to March!

Interesting.

Very similar to my first impressions (albeit formed in an hour).

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=69393

No manuals, no SportsPlus (wing-back) seats or sunroof delete until next year.

AFAIK the light infill is xenon on the DCL (Dynamic Cornering Light) option:

Headlamps%3d997Gen2.JPG

After months of waiting, finally have an 'estimated' completion date of March 20th!!!

Can't believe it, am going to California for two weeks at the end of March, so the agony will be prolonged!! But the dealer is saying that they will want to complete the deal by the end of March, I understand this for their end of quarter figures etc, but I really don't want my brand new toy sat on my driveway for two weeks!

No problem.

March 20th is my 50th birthday, so I can take delivery of it, and when you come back from the States all that horrible running in procedure will have already been done for you.

Thanks Peters, what a mate, what would I do without you..... :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back