Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1975 911 with 3.0 engine - thoughts please

kim hollamby

I've been looking at this car for a friend who's out of the country a lot and wondered what you lot thought.

It's a 1975 911 with a later 3.0SC engine. No history of any kind and covered at present in a dark grey matt wrap with the original paint underneath being black.

It was originally lhd and has since been converted to rhd, again, no history. The owner bought it for a bit of fun and I believe has lost interest and needs the space.

The car is currently for a sale at £7000 and will have a new mot. Parr have done £1200 of recent work getting it running properly. I know very little about these early cars, but my friend likes the look of it and the price. Worth seven grand for a bit of cheap 911 motoring?

cheers chaps, Kim

Not bad and has potential but still needs a few £k.

Does that gearstick accept batteries :dont know:

The wrap scares me if I'm honest.

I'll the places I'd want to look (sills, door closer, windscreen scuttles, top of front wings, front and rear wings around the lights, fuel filler, bumpers etc...) are all completely covered up, it's literally like being blind.

Get it to a place that does early 911 bodywork as IMHO a body inspection by someone who know exactly where to look and feel is worth five times an engine inspection on these. The body bill for my seemingly good 3.2 was TWICE the cost of that car you are looking at and nearly what i paid for my 993.

I'd love to find a good solid one that needed no panels, welding or paint at £7k, i sincerely hope you have one there mate!
:thumbs:

Thanks Clarky. I quite agree, but here's a thought. If the car gets an MOT now, that will indicate it's not falling apart or dangerous.

Could someone not then run the car ragged for two or three years and then scrap it if they found it too rusty?

kim hollamby said:
Thanks Clarky. I quite agree, but here's a thought. If the car gets an MOT now, that will indicate it's not falling apart or dangerous.

Could someone not then run the car ragged for two or three years and then scrap it if they found it too rusty?

If that's the plan then go for it! (With an MOT)
:)

The guy that bought my 3.2 is enjoying just driving it around and has done nothing to it, it will probably need a kidney bowl doing for an MOT but the wings, b pillars, bumpers, scuttles and respray despite being £10k of work will not fail the car anytime soon. Would be a shame, but he could get 5 years low cost fun and then scrap it if he wanted.

I don't think many of us think that way - I certainly don't. But it's easy to spend lots of money getting a car up to scratch, keeping it nicely maintained, then losing a shed load when we come to sell it.

There must be an argument for buying cheap, running it into the ground then scrapping it or selling for spares. And if you can do that with a Porsche, so much the better. You could use this car for anything - bung the dogs in it, supermarket shopping, taking stuff down to the tip etc. Pretty cool daily driver.

Problem is though, if it keeps braking down, then you could be in trouble.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back