Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Purchase advice

c4sgg

Hi all, I am totally new to the world of porsche and I am about to purchase a carrera 4S in black with black leather. It's tiptronic 31K miles on the clock and full main dealer service history, the guy wants £25K for it, my question is am I getting a bargain? would appreciate the feedback. Many thanks in advance

doesnt sound wrong but not a total bargin either ,,

what yr is it ??

my mate bought a 06 997 2s with 50k on clock for 25k last week end ,,

id be going for a 4s cos of the wide body , but try chipping a couple of K of the price ,

20 - 22K- would be a bargin

Are you looking at a 996 or a 997. If the former I'd pass and look to the 997 as it is a much better engineerd car.

Given the current climate some models are falling faster than my pants after a mutton tikka vindaloo and 12 pints of Guinness

You may not get a C4S for £25k though................But as ever buy on condition not necessarily mileage as some engines have been known to go pop at low mileage. I saw a very nice 997 at good money with a new engine fitted and warrantied by Porsche - that would be my choice :thumb:

It's definitely not a bargain but that shouldn't be the prime issue if the car is good and is the one that you want.

If buying from a dealer, for £25k I'd want the car to be a late 03 or an 04 with fsh and in very good condition. I'd expect to pay £2k less privately.

Over the last couple of years C4S asking prices actually rose slightly as they were seen to be far more desirable than the narrow bodied cars. For a short while there was a cross-over in asking prices for late C4Ss and early 997s but as more and more 997s are falling below £25k the C4S seems to be less popular.

Zingari said:
Are you looking at a 996 or a 997.

He's posted on the 996 forum Zing'. :roll:

If the former I'd pass and look to the 997 as it is a much better engineerd car.

Only if its the 3.8 which costs a whole lot more.

Given the current climate some models are falling faster than my pants after a mutton tikka vindaloo and 12 pints of Guinness

Particularly the 3.6 997

You may not get a [997] C4S for £25k though................

He won't get a good one.

But as ever buy on condition not necessarily mileage as some engines have been known to go pop at low mileage. I saw a very nice 997 at good money with a new engine fitted and warrantied by Porsche - that would be my choice :thumb:

I know it was in the 996 forum but I had to check.

My point is I find it hard to accept that someone will pay £25k for a 996 when 997s can be had for (in some cases) less than £20k now.

You need to really want a 996 because of its condition; or a particular model GT3, Turbo where 997 equivalent is out of price range.

Other than those models a C4S in a good colour (I'm thinking speed yellow) and mint is a great looking car (aint that right Gary :thumb: )

Personally I wouldn't spend more than £15k for a 996 if that was all I had to spend. If I had £25k then either I'd push out for a 996TT or C2S 997

Nobody seems to have mentioned Model Year. Being a 4S, it could be between MY2002 and MY2005, so quite a span. 2002, a bit pricy. 2005, not too bad.

So thats it then 996 C4S is a total loss cause you can get a 2wd 997 for similar money might as well go outside and set fire to mine. :frustrated:

Nice to see the model getting the support on its own forum :frustrated:

It is a 2003 model, totally immaculate the doctor owner only drove it around London and it has been serviced every year whether it was required or not. Thanks for the feedback....looks like I will be picking it up Saturday.

I think you are paying too much, prices for the 4s model are falling, your buying an over priced car at the top of the market, I think it will have your pants down and only be worth £15k quite quickly.

If only pay £20k for a truly immaculate 2003 4s with good options.

c4sgg said:
It is a 2003 model, totally immaculate the doctor owner only drove it around London

Sorry but that is not a positive.

I get the feeling that I should be heading for 997 C2S then??? I got on the phone and tried to bat him down and he was having none of it. Put £200 down as a deposit but would rather loose that than thousands.

c4sgg said:
I get the feeling that I should be heading for 997 C2S then??? I got on the phone and tried to bat him down and he was having none of it. Put £200 down as a deposit but would rather loose that than thousands.

From your user name I recognise the car that you're interested in from the ad. It does look a very nice car and at £25k, whilst not a bargain, is not too OTT.

As it is a dealer selling it you should be protected by the SoG act anyway but insist on him including a decent warranty if he won't budge on the price.

Depreciation wise a 997C2S would fare better than any 996 or non 'S' 997 but you won't find a good one for your £25k.

ps. Don't be fooled into thinking that a 997 Tiptronic 'S' is a 997S.

The far more desirable 'S' car is the one with the 3.8 engine.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

edited with thanks to AntB.

T8996C4 said:
ps. Don't be fooled into thinking that a 997 Tiptronic 'S' is a 997S.

The far more desirable 'S' car is the one with the wider body and the 3.8 engine.

No no no no! It's only the 4wd Carreras that are wide-bodied in the 997 range, the Carrera and Carrera S are both narrow-bodied, the Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S are wide-bodied... :thumb:

Ant Blain said:
It's only the 4wd Carreras that are wide-bodied in the 997 range, the Carrera and Carrera S are both narrow-bodied, the Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S are wide-bodied...

Thanks Ant, brain fade on my part. My post has been duly edited. The wide body comment was superfluous anyway as it's the 3.8 engine that the OP needs to look out for IF he ends up looking at 997 'S' cars.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back