Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Video Collection,1968 Porsche 911 Classic Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Episode 46: 911 '68 bodyshell ready for rebuild

Here is the bodyshell up on stands and ready for the rebuild. But there's a lot of work to do from here. I'm also working out how to fit a rear anti-roll bar.

Episode 47: 911 '68 brake pipe making

Fabricating brake pipes is a fairly straightforward deal as long as care is taken to cut the pipes square and make sure there are no burrs on the flared ends. I'm no professional at this, but with the right tools, the results can be good.

Episode 48: 911 '68 rear swaybar mount, frt bumper & roof mat

This clip looks at mounting the Porsche Classic brackets for the rear sway (antiroll) bar. I've changed my mind on the front compartment and it is now painted in body colour rather than stain black. I've fitted the front bumper (complete with 40kg weights!) and attach vibration mats to the roof underside.

This clip comes with a health and safety warning: don't weld on your car if there is any chance of it catching fire.

Episode 51: 911 '68 wiring gauges

My gauges have come back from restoration and I've spent a long time wiring them up. This is a very time consuming job and requires a lot of patience. I've had to replace most of the instrument light receptacles and all the small bulbs.

The gauge sleeves (the black O-rings that seat the gauge in the instrument housing) came from Roger Bray (not available from Porsche Classic) and the other small parts from VW Heritage. In this clip I also show the rear electrical panel in the engine bay.

http://www.porscheinspections.com

Episode 52: 911 '68 Light fitting

This clip covers the fitting of the headlights and tail light assemblies. Before any of the train spotters among you email me, I'm fitting H4 headlamp assemblies to this car. As delivered to me the US spec car came with the fairly hopeless sealed beam units.

The correct headlamps for a Euro spec 68 911 would probably be the H1 dual lamp headlamps. The H1s are very difficult to find in good condition, so I've opted for the H4. In this clip I mistakenly say the H4 was introduced in about 1970-71.

Now I've seen since that Brett Johnson (911 Restorers Guide to Authenticity) noted the H4 wasn't introduced until 1973. I'm fairly sure my '72 911S always had H4s (with the clear top to the lens glass, rather than the later pebble dash tops), so I'm not clear when the H4 appeared.

The main thing is that they look correct and they are better headlamps, which fits the philosophy of this restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back