Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First reviews 991 are surfacing

"She Feelin' All Right?
But once you've adjusted to the utterly horizontal cornering attitude, you'll find yourself wondering what Porsche did to the 911's once-sublime steering. Don't get us wrong: There's enough steering feel and weight to prudently guide the 911 at insane velocities. But this isn't the same feeling we're used to. Nor is it one we'd prefer."

a 911 that's been nuetered.....too many early reports are intimating the same thing. If your moving up from an Audi or BM you will be happy enough................I suppose.

wizard993 said:
" If your moving up from an Audi or BM you will be happy enough................I suppose.

No matter what car you're used to I'm sure the steering will be fine, unless you're Lewis Hamilton of course

Not sure why the negative comments about a major step up from the 997, 7.37 for the Ring which is same time as a GT3, so yes, the steering must be really crap.......... I suppose :wink: :friends:

The Space Shuttle could probably do it faster, but that isn't to say it would be more involving.

There is something to be said for a car that can reward without exceeding legal limits.

I'm sorry but I think you need to refer to the Z4 sdrive series when slagging feel at the wheel. The 1998 Rav4 (winter hack) on winter wellies gives far more feedback.

I have owned/driven Audi's with the electromechanical system.......not great/ a patch on what was fitted to the 911.

The 993, 996 and 997 all had great steering systems(i have owned/own them). IMO the 991 may have killed off one of the previous generations greatest attributes.......as well as creating a Carrera which has now been eclipsed in the power stakes, by many mainstream sports cars such as the M3.

I don't know where Porsche/VAG are heading with this new model but it's not all good news thus far, IMO.

Moreover, a diesel 991 would not suprise me.

"Pure" Porsche 911's may ultimately become more valuable than many think vs the VAG cars.

Rimmer said:
wizard993 said:
" If your moving up from an Audi or BM you will be happy enough................I suppose.

No matter what car you're used to I'm sure the steering will be fine, unless you're Lewis Hamilton of course

Not sure why the negative comments about a major step up from the 997, 7.37 for the Ring which is same time as a GT3, so yes, the steering must be really crap.......... I suppose :wink: :friends:

You mean the 991 S? I think in other areas the car has been improved(ie balance, suspension etc etc) which is of course good news

It's not just about how fast a car is.....its about how involving and enjoyable/fun it is to drive, that makes some cars very special.

Hopefully they have not reduced the fun/enjoyment DNA too much on the 991.....that's all I am saying.

Think we need to experience it for ourselves not get too down hearted
Some writers have said its bad others haven't if it was terrible all would say so

"Higher revs need to extract best performance, steering changes, some 911 idiosyncrasies lost forever"

Hmmm a common report eminating from the road test(even the yanks have picked-up on the electro-mechnical steering aspects of the 991)!

Suppose its not an issue if your new to 911/trading up from a SL merc/Audi TT/AM etc, which may be the market Porsche are going after while leaving many of its installed base of 911 owners behind/to chose something else that is a bit more focused/edgy/scary/unpredictable but possibly more rewarding/involving to drive :dont know:

Will be taking them up on the test drive/launch invite for December though.

And yet something is different. Maximum power is reached at 7,400rpm, peak torque at 5,600rpm, both around 1,000rpm more than in the previous 997 version of the 911. On the road this translates into a Porsche that needs more revs to get the adrenalin flowing, and rather shockingly it can feel a little uninspiring at the lower engine speeds that naturally you use most of the time.

It changes the character. The steering is as sharp and precise as ever, but the feedback from bumps and small surface imperfections has largely disappeared. It's all progress says Porsche, but there are also reasons to mourn the loss of the old 911 character.

Now there is a standard-fit "Sound Symposer". Push the Sport button and a membrane transmits vibrations from the engine to the area around the rear parcel shelf for even "sportier driving pleasure" (that word again). Yet whatever you do, there's a newfound drone from the exhaust system, impossible to dial out, that can become tiresome

But it's not a five star car. By building a Porsche for a broader audience of buyers, a few too many of the little things that form an indelible part of the 911 appeal to enthusiasts have been pushed away.

I still say wait till you drive it ,it's all too easy to listen too these reviews it's your opinion as a customer that counts
If the 991 isn't as focused in base trim the there is the gt cars

CHUNKSTAR said:
I still say wait till you drive it ,it's all too easy to listen too these reviews it's your opinion as a customer that counts

I have said before that people sitting with good 996/997 GT/RS's(the last of the true Porsche(not VAG) 911's) could be laughing all the way to the bank in a few years time.

WTF...is this a car for ponces?

Now there is a standard-fit "Sound Symposer". Push the Sport button and a membrane transmits vibrations from the engine to the area around the rear parcel shelf for even "sportier driving pleasure" (that word again). Yet whatever you do, there's a newfound drone from the exhaust system, impossible to dial out, that can become tiresome

CHUNKSTAR said:

or a 450BHP M3 for £20k less than a base £70k C2 with just 349BHP output?

Yes the GT/RS cars will always be special but IMO the 991 base car needed at least 385BHP(with 420/440 for the S)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJno1
Back