Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering-angle sensor not initialized

smallsteve

Cayman (58) 2.7

Getting PSM Failure, which clears itself but then comes back whenever the steering wheel is turned through tighter angles.
Have got Durametric diagnostic tool and it is reporting that 'Steering-angle sensor not initialized'.
Have fully-charged battery and checked fuses F7 -F10 (Bank C). I further checked all other fuses in the footwell and they appear to be fine.
Wondering if anyone can suggest further checks?

smallsteve said:
Cayman (58) 2.7

Getting PSM Failure, which clears itself but then comes back whenever the steering wheel is turned through tighter angles.
Have got Durametric diagnostic tool and it is reporting that 'Steering-angle sensor not initialized'.
Have fully-charged battery and checked fuses F7 -F10 (Bank C). I further checked all other fuses in the footwell and they appear to be fine.
Wondering if anyone can suggest further checks?

Being familiar with Durametric I can probably say that the steering angle sensor needs calibrating, this can be done within the later version of the SW. If not then it's possible that the steering angle sensor is actually faulty.

Thanks for your input.

I have considered the calibration, as i have the later version that offers it. The thing that puts me off is the requirement to get the wheels within 2-degrees of straight. Don't know how i could possibly verify this at time of calibration!?

Hello again, firstly take your car for a drive make sure that when you are driving in a straight line the steering wheel is in the centre position, if not after calibration the light will come back on. The way that the diagnostic words the calibration is slighty missleading basically the steering angle sensor needs to see a movement of more than 20 degrees so if you turn the wheel 90 degrees either way this will be sufficiant for the sensor to see a reading. Then, make sure the steering wheel is straight and press the calibration button.

Ah right. Guess i haven't much to lose anyway as it is already effectively uncalibrated!

Will give it a blast and see what happens.

Will report back and let you know how i get on.

Thanks for the post.

I tried the calibration, but it didn't make any difference.

I looked at 'Actual Values' from the sensors and interestingly, the 'Status of Steering Angle Sensor (CAN)' and 'Steering Angle Sens' stayed pretty-much static for the whole period whilst I drove around - note that the (CAN) measurement very occasionally changed to '5' and I wondered if this was a voltage measurement!?

I would have expected analog feedback from the sensor on at least one of the measurements, but none were to be had. All other measurements I took from the car, e.g. wheel speeds, behaved as I would have expected.

The only other measurement I could not obtain was the 'Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Cluster', which seemed to crash the software - only closing a re-opening the program would effect readings from other measurements once again.

I guess I can take to cowling apart to get to the Steering-Angle Sensor and give it a clean and check the connections. Aside from this I am at a loss as to what else I can do.

I think that if you replace the Steering-Angle Sensor, you also have to replace the PSM Module. I guess that the combined cost of these is prohibitive and not something that you do as a speculative activity.

Porsche have quoted £75 for a half-hour analysis and so this might be the next port of call, unless anyone can suggest another approach!?

Forgot to mention that the actual value coming from the 'Steering-Angle Sens' always shows as '-120.00'. Just don't seem right do it!? :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back