Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How about a Carrera T with 460hp??

michal12

Anyone has the same feeling that the gap between Careera S and the Turbo is too wide?
I mean the Carrera S costs EUR 100k and the Turbo EUR 150k. That is 50% more. I know there are the Targas, convertibles and hardcore wing-littered variants.
As I do not really like 4wd nature and crap sound of a Turbo, I would personally appreciate a more powerful Carrera S. The S is not so dynamically exciting as it should be, I think. The hp per ton of the 991 Carrera S is lower that of the turbo M5. So how about a soft turbo, wide body and RWD variant, maybe a 'Carrera T"? It could have around 460hp to crack 330hp per ton.
What do you guys think?

I think if it is turbocharged they would be hard pressed to stop people modifying it to bring the power up to the same level as the turbo and would be doing themselves out of some sales on the turbos.
IMO there are enough models already, so there is a gap, that's good. You don't need a continuous run of different models to find just the power / weight ratio you are after.
The turbo should be the top of the tree, a significant step up from the model below, not just a small incremental increase. I like it that way :)

MC

michal12 said:
I would personally appreciate a more powerful Carrera S. The S is not so dynamically exciting as it should be, I think. The hp per ton of the 991 Carrera S is lower that of the turbo M5. So how about a soft turbo, wide body and RWD variant, maybe a 'Carrera T"? It could have around 460hp to crack 330hp per ton.
What do you guys think?

Hopefully a Carrera GTS should plug the gap you are seeking a la 997 GTS?

~ Maxie :?:

Surely it's too early to say if there truly is a gap in the range; all indications currently point to the 991 Carrera S being almost as capable as a 997 turbo, and the standard Carrera has been downsized to a 3.4 to put a bit more distance between it and the S model. So if you ignore the bhp figures (and in some ways you should, as Porsche horses are always particularly strong horses and are helped by relatively low kerb weight) then the new Carrera S is probably the car you are wanting (i.e. it's a step up from the 997 Carrera S).

However, as no-one has actually driven a 991 yet (not even the usual motoring hacks) I don't think we can assume it to be 'not so dynamically exciting as it should be' at this stage. I've a sneaking suspicion that it will be brilliant, and probably won't need another 50bhp. That said, now VAG are sticking their mucky paws in, I can see the model line-up being extended further and would put money on a diesel variant inside two years (Carrera TDi with an S-line kit, anyone?)... :frustrated:

Ant Blain said:
That said, now VAG are sticking their mucky paws in, I can see the model line-up being extended further and would put money on a diesel variant inside two years (Carrera TDi with an S-line kit, anyone?)... :frustrated:

That would seem a probable argument, after all there is an Audi R8 V12 diesel kicking around albeit not for sale. But given the fact diesel engines weigh much more than the equivalent petrol engines, I'm not so sure one will find it's way over the rear axle of a 991 as this car was well into development before VW acquired Porsche. Perhaps on the 992?

I don't think they need any more in the model line up. Let's not forget as well you don't get all variants of the new generation at the same time as well, it is a gradual rollout.

If it's not available now, surely they will be doing a power upgrade pack for the C2S like the X51 on the 997? Thus bridging the gap for anyone who cares for it.

Cost for options aside, the price between the Carrera S and the Carrera GTS is relativley narrow, the difference in handling and performance however, for the price differential is quite exceptional!
Check it out.

GT4 said:

...That's sure to arrive a year down the line, and usually another 26 bhp !!
:grin:

The fact is, it is not the gap between the Carrera S and Turbo where any additional model (or PowerKit) is positioned, but between Carrera S and GT3.

The Turbo is just so much more powerful the linear average between the Carrera S and Turbo is generally closer to the GT3 output, and that still has to be more than an X51/GTS.

So my money is on:

PowerKit X51 (315 KW / 428 PS) inc Sports exhaust system £9,525

With 991 GT3 at 340 KW/462 PS and 991 Turbo at 390 KW/530 PS

GT4 said:
So my money is on:

Now that would be a tasty power line up. :)

Power outputs only go one way...up, with more economy !! and long may it
continue.. 8)

i see your point and agree with your suggested power outputs, as they probably will happen like this.
i guess my point was the hypethetical Carrera T could happily live next to GT3 with relatively similar hp as they would appeal to different demographic.

GT4 said:
The fact is, it is not the gap between the Carrera S and Turbo where any additional model (or PowerKit) is positioned, but between Carrera S and GT3.

The Turbo is just so much more powerful the linear average between the Carrera S and Turbo is generally closer to the GT3 output, and that still has to be more than an X51/GTS.

So my money is on:

Yes, GTS is nice but it comes very late in the model lifecycle, which reduces its appeal somewhat for me. The next GTS will come like 2016 or so...

Maxie said:
michal12 said:
I would personally appreciate a more powerful Carrera S. The S is not so dynamically exciting as it should be, I think. The hp per ton of the 991 Carrera S is lower that of the turbo M5. So how about a soft turbo, wide body and RWD variant, maybe a 'Carrera T"? It could have around 460hp to crack 330hp per ton.
What do you guys think?

Hopefully a Carrera GTS should plug the gap you are seeking a la 997 GTS?

michal12 said:
i see your point and agree with your suggested power outputs, as they probably will happen like this.
i guess my point was the hypethetical Carrera T could happily live next to GT3 with relatively similar hp as they would appeal to different demographic.

Surely that will be the 991 GT3 Comfort with optional rear seats and PDK 'box :dont know:

Re: GTS - the X51 has generally appeared within a year of new model launch.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back