Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2.7 RS replicas

anotherGT2

Mugello
3129781-1.jpg

I keep coming back to look at these in the classifieds. After seeing a couple at the Tipec show this year it's something I'd love to own at some point.

Has anyone built one of these from an SC or 3.2?

I seem to recall that you can buy the body panels etc quite cheaply to get the 2.7RS look. Would it be doable for a lot less than the £22,750 this car is advertised for?

911-Retro-Works
Porsche 911 RS Recreation (1986)
123,000 miles £22,750

1986 3.2 Carrera, 123,000 miles F.S.H
Stunning classic 911 in amazing condition throughout
Finished in white with red carrera script and matched 16" fuch wheels. Full body conversion with steel long bonnet and steel wings.
Lightweight GRP Ducktail, front and rear bumpers. Polished alloy door frames, chrome screen inserts and Durant mirrors.

Interior has undergone a full refurbishment, featuring alcantara dash and door caps, rs door cards with matching red pulls. Hard shell bucket seats with 4 point harnesses. New lightweight carpet throughout, new roof lining, Momo Prototipo leather steering wheel. New Kenwood sound system.

http://www.911-retro-works.co.uk/porschersrecreation.html

Personal experience says no..... UNLESS you get a mint donor car with No Rust & you can DYI everything except the paint.

However anything is possible & I certainly had the "rose colored" Porsche goggles on mine when I bought it..... :frustrated:

My rebuild lasted 12 yrs & in excess of GBP 35k when all totaled up - EXCLUDING sea freight as it got dragged round 3 continents (& 2 small islands!)

Chassis Jig / Rotisserie - bought it DOH!
930 Brakes / Disks / Hubs & Front sub frames
3 x Oil coolers
Single pulley conversion
Totally replaced the heating system
Shuffle pinned case
Mahle Pistons & go fast con rods etc ad nausea
915 G/Box + schmick short shift kit & bushes etc etc etc
RS suspension bits fore & aft + Poly bushes
RS CLutch / LSD / Rear sub frames etc etc
Kidney Bowls L&R
Sunroof delete
Rear wings L&R (Steel & widened!)
Front Wings (Inner & Outer - Steel & Widened
Front floor (Under Petrol tank)
110 ltr Petrol Tank + Center front fill point
Custom Wiring loom c/w push button start
Full MOTEC E.M.S.

For..... 3 x track outings, 17km actual driven on road to be cocked up by an apprentice here in Aus (Melbourne)....... :gunfire:

Would I do it again? :?: With the cash I spent the Minister of War & Finance points out I could have bought a new 964 / 993...... at the time....

Probably be divorce material if I did, however.... there is no reason apart from $$$ to stop anyone from doing it

:bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

But it is tempting.... :thumb:

Excellent post, sorry for the delayed reply, must have missed it :)

This car looks interesting

http://www.paul-stephens.com/for-sale/Porsche-911-2.7-RS-Evocation/3372

A proper track day machine with some provenance in racing.

Roughly the same money I'm looking to spend on upgrading the Cayman to something that will lose the same money over the next 2 years. Hmmmmm.

Cayman as a road car and this for track days? :D :lol:

3384763-1.jpg

3384763-2.jpg

3384763-4.jpg

3384763-5.jpg

Attachments

• 3384763_2_145.jpg
    3384763_2_145.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 21,108
:grin:

Club stuff these days as Ma'am remind's me "your Brain is writing cheques your ability USED to be able to cash".... however I'll only ever be able to have 1 Porsche in the driveway :sad:

The Cayman is growing on me, however after having a drive in Dave B's new toy on Saturday (Caman R) it is a lovely car, goes like stink, sticks like a celebrity divorce lawyer and has all the fruit....

Yet today at the Mall, an '81 Bandit (for want of a better word) really turned the juices flowing again. Widebody, Ducktail, 3.6 & I believe a G50 conversion (yes I ducked under the old girls skirts & saw what I thought was non standard bracing near the torque tube area underneath), Dolphin grey, Front mounted cooler (and newish as well as was on Dealer Plate).

Brought a smile to the dial & renewed conversation with Ma'am about t new project... AFTER I find out where the bloody hell I'll be working for the next 3-5 yrs.

3.2 having that edge of "Hedge missile" over the Cayman..... more raw and visceral if you follow? What a time for the B.Berry to run flat.......

Left a card on the screen - Hope springs eternal.....

My comments in blue

anotherGT2 said:
3129781-1.jpg

I keep coming back to look at these in the classifieds. After seeing a couple at the Tipec show this year it's something I'd love to own at some point.

Has anyone built one of these from an SC or 3.2? This is quite a common conversion so yes a very well known conversion route

I seem to recall that you can buy the body panels etc quite cheaply to get the 2.7RS look. Yes you can Would it be doable for a lot less than the £22,750 this car is advertised for? Unlikely. The main cost of this is the cost of a good 3.2/SC with all the rust fixed and strong engine/gearbox. Plus pannels, plus interior mods, plus paint, plus window frames, plus wheel refurb, plus graphics, etc which soon add up. Of course I have no idea how good the chassis, engine, etc is on the car for sale

911-Retro-Works
Porsche 911 RS Recreation (1986)
123,000 miles £22,750

1986 3.2 Carrera, 123,000 miles F.S.H
Stunning classic 911 in amazing condition throughout
Finished in white with red carrera script and matched 16" fuch wheels. Full body conversion with steel long bonnet and steel wings.
Lightweight GRP Ducktail, front and rear bumpers. Polished alloy door frames, chrome screen inserts and Durant mirrors.

Interior has undergone a full refurbishment, featuring alcantara dash and door caps, rs door cards with matching red pulls. Hard shell bucket seats with 4 point harnesses. New lightweight carpet throughout, new roof lining, Momo Prototipo leather steering wheel. New Kenwood sound system.

http://www.911-retro-works.co.uk/porschersrecreation.html

The thing about a conversion like this is it's just cosmetic. The car will feel and drive exactly the same as the donor car be that a 3.2 or an SC as it still has the same chassis, engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes and wheels. Which begs the questions why not just buy a nice original standard 3.2 or SC and enjoy it as it is.

To make an RS rep that actually drives something like an RS you need to start with an earlier chassis, correct engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, wheels etc. This quickly becomes very expensive - RS spec engine alone will cost £15K upwards etc.

Nick Moss at Early911.co.uk is a good chap to talk to if you want to understand all the options, costs pros and cons of the different types of reps.

Ian.

An interesting route to take Gav, I will be watching with interest.

Could be a lot of fun.

Thanks for the comments all.

Realistically I don't think I'll have either the patience, the time or the know-how to build one of these as a project. I barely get enough time to drive my Cayman at the moment so taking on a project probably isn't wise.

If I'm going to go down this route I'll have to buy one that somebody has already finished.

This car looks great:

2.7RS LWT RECREATION (1969)
£21,911

3276650-1.jpg

1969 911E,RHD,NON SUNROOF MODEL IN STUNING CONDITION,DRIVES SUPERBLY,
FITTED WITH 3.2 CARRERA ENGINE AND 915 GEARBOX,FULL LWT INTERIOR,12 MONTHS MOT AND TAX, PORSCHE CLUB GB MEMBER,WITH ORIGINAL PRIVATE PLATE FROM NEW!! Please ring for further details... £21911 ONO

It's a 1969 911E with a 3.2 and 915 so could be a good compromise between old school chassis and newer running gear.

Ultimately I'd like something that's not going to cost a fortune to own and need constant attention, I don't mind sorting out problems and the odd bit of rust but I don't want a car that's going to be higher maintenance than my wife.

I'd guess a backdated 3.2 is probably a safer bet, but there's something very appealing about owning a car that's 8 years older than I am :)

I can't imagine that a 42 year old car would need any maintenance!

However I am sure whatever you spend will be peanuts compared with devaluation on your current method of car ownership.

PS, you might have to be quick, I keep looking at the advert myself! There is something strangely appealing about it.

Stop messing about Gav and get one from Paul Stephens.....

http://www.paul-stephens.com/for-sale/Porsche-911-ST-evocation/3245

http://www.paul-stephens.com/for-sale/Porsche-911-1973-2.8-RSR-Replica/2485

http://www.paul-stephens.com/for-sale/Porsche-911-2.8-RSR-Evocation-Deposit-taken/3055

I'd love a rep, but would probably do something that was neither one thing or t'other, more of an outlaw, so I'd not need to feel I was passing something off as the real thing. Probably something between an S/T and an RSR.

Like this:

DSC_1198.jpg

DSC_1340.jpg

cyruspower said:
I'd love a rep, but would probably do something that was neither one thing or t'other, more of an outlaw, so I'd not need to feel I was passing something off as the real thing.

I know what you mean, nobody wants to be Countach man.

I love the look of the 2.7RS and some of those reps/evocations etc at Paul Stephens are stunning, the problem is it would have to be my only car at those prices.

As I posted above this is interesting:

http://www.paul-stephens.com/for-sale/Porsche-911-2.7-RS-Evocation/3372

Not a great road car but around a track I bet that would be intoxicatingly good, not fast but proper old school 911 goodness.

It drives exactly as you would expect a well-sorted race car to do, with light, accurate steering, strong brakes, poised handling and the sort of strong performance you'd expect from 230bhp in a car weighing about a tonne.
:puh: :puh:

The force is strong with these, I find myself drawn to the classic look lately aswell. Go on Gav having the 2 cars, sounds a great idea :thumb:

Cunno said:
The force is strong with these, I find myself drawn to the classic look lately aswell. Go on Gav having the 2 cars, sounds a great idea :thumb:

Buy a 964 and back date :grin: retro look and modern driving

if you are genuinely interested in RS reps, get yourself onto DDK and spend a bit of time studying what makes a good RS rep & what makes a bad one.

The spread of prices on RS reps can be huge.

The one think some people do over look is that for the price of a poor RS rep you could get a very nice original pre73 Porsche that ypu would probabally enjoy more. A stockish pre73 911 is great fun on the road ..... a car that you have to "drive" . I still prefer driving my 2.4S more than any other 911 I have driven,.

Also, purely on an investment point of view, a better place to put your money than 'another' RS rep

Ok.

I've just nipped across to DDK and now know a lot less than I did earlier!

It's a minefield out there!

Maybe I should just do a Clinchy/Andrew and get a 964.

Trouble is, aren't they for middle-aged men?

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back