Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone want an Audi?

Brewster

Having previously had an SC and then a 993 which I recently sold I'm looking to get back in 911 ownership. I let the 993 go as my commute has increased a fair bit in the last year and I (thought I) needed something more sensible. As such I went for an Audi A5 3.0Tdi quattro. I really can't fault it. It's handsome, swift, comfortable, reliable and relatively frugal returning 38mpg over the last 5k miles, but....

It just doesn't have that magic. That intangible something that makes you smile when you climb in and strike it up. It's not the car's fault, it's mine for thinking I'd be happy rather than just satisfied with what is a very competent car. So, for the last month I've remonstrating with myself over whether a 911 is doable for the kind of driving I have. I've come to the conclusion that a 996 C4(S) could have the right mix of everything I want plus just about be sensible enough for my commute.

I have the A5 for sale at a very reasonable price looking at what else is available, but the car market is looking very slow right now, not just privately, but commercial too. I've deliberately left the link off as I don't want to break any forum rules and I'm not trying to drum up interest in an outright sale, but I'm enquiring as to whether there are any owners out there that think they may want to swap. I'm looking for a facelift C4, prefferably an S. I was in conversation with a C4S owner in the North East, but he's decided to part-ex his against a Range Rover for winter. If anyone is interested then drop me a line and I'll forward on a link via PM.

I hope this post doesn't break any rules. I am a long term 911 enthusiast and forum member rather than just a random seller chancing his arm. Regardless, if it's a forum faux pas please feel free to delete the thread.

^^^ Very interesting.......... I had 2 cars in my sights, A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Sport and the 996C4S a heart and head purchase............

I went for the C4s just at the very end and have barely given it another thought............. Good luck with the sale, get a C4S and you won't regret it......... 8)

Had I not had the 993 I'm sure I'd be loving it. It has the newer chassis which improves on the normally "dead" feeling you get with Audis. It's balanced, grips well and really does go when provoked, it just doesn't tickle my proverbial.

I had the same dilema just over a year ago.

Got rid of my M3 because my head beat my heart. I just couldn't justify the cost of running an M3 for type of motoring I was doing.

So got myself a new A4 2ltr TFSI S-Line Quatro S-Tronic with all the toys.

Don't get me wrong it's fantastic car. Comfortable, quick, not porsche quick but quick enough, all the toys, practical, looks nice, nice to drive etc etc. It does everything I really need.

Except put a smile on my face :sad:

It was the first time EVER in my car buying history I done the sensible thing and bought what I needed and not what I wanted. And have regretted it ever since.

Hence, I've now decided to get myself a 996 as well as a weekender.

Best of both worlds :grin: And screw the cost. It'll make me happy :thumb:

Brewster said:
Having previously had an SC and then a 993 which I recently sold I'm looking to get back in 911 ownership. I let the 993 go as my commute has increased a fair bit in the last year and I (thought I) needed something more sensible. As such I went for an Audi A5 3.0Tdi quattro. I really can't fault it. It's handsome, swift, comfortable, reliable and relatively frugal returning 38mpg over the last 5k miles, but....

It just doesn't have that magic. That intangible something that makes you smile when you climb in and strike it up. It's not the car's fault, it's mine for thinking I'd be happy rather than just satisfied with what is a very competent car. So, for the last month I've remonstrating with myself over whether a 911 is doable for the kind of driving I have. I've come to the conclusion that a 996 C4(S) could have the right mix of everything I want plus just about be sensible enough for my commute.

I have the A5 for sale at a very reasonable price looking at what else is available, but the car market is looking very slow right now, not just privately, but commercial too. I've deliberately left the link off as I don't want to break any forum rules and I'm not trying to drum up interest in an outright sale, but I'm enquiring as to whether there are any owners out there that think they may want to swap. I'm looking for a facelift C4, prefferably an S. I was in conversation with a C4S owner in the North East, but he's decided to part-ex his against a Range Rover for winter. If anyone is interested then drop me a line and I'll forward on a link via PM.

I hope this post doesn't break any rules. I am a long term 911 enthusiast and forum member rather than just a random seller chancing his arm. Regardless, if it's a forum faux pas please feel free to delete the thread.

My old one is for sale, http://www.lodgemotor.co.uk/porsche-911-c4s-tiptronic-s-coupe-auto-sat-nav-1760044

This car has all the toys on it, I only sold as I changed jobs and needed something that could go up and down the motorway economically as I am doing some serious miles.

This thread gets more ironic for me ! I looked at an A5 in lodge......

Nice spec on that C4S............

Westy are you an ex Westfield driver? If so are you on wscc boardroom?

fastmonkey said:
This thread gets more ironic for me ! I looked at an A5 in lodge......

Nice spec on that C4S............

Great spec car, sad to have sold it :sad: :sad:

My last Co car was a 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, all the toys, convenience entry, 20" wheels, and a list of extras as long as your arm.

When changing cars I had both for a while, and I can say that what I though was a bumpy ride in the A5 felt as smooth as silk after having the 911 for a few weeks!

Saying that though, as nice as it was, it never gave me the smile factor as you say. Although with the possibility of snow on the way, I wish I still had it in my garage, as it is one of the most capable 4x4's I have had, even on summer tyres!

Mine when it went back had 66k on the clock, the only thing that it had had in that time was tyres and three services, almost unbreakable, the lease company auctioned it for £17k (was an 08 plate) and when I got it, it retailed at £45k.

How much is yours up for?

Mines up for a similar price to what yours sold for, although mine has fewer miles on it.

I have an A5 3.0 Tdi quattro for the daily commute. Awesome car.

Keep the Audi and buy a 993 for weekends. That what I did.

Here's a pic of our Audi. There aren't many in yellow !

Attachments

• a5_133.jpg
    a5_133.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 141

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back