Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Decided to change the oil myself - WOW how easy!!!

GT4 said:
Can we note the chassis number, just so we can eliminate Porsche from our investigations when the next owner pops up on here in three years time with a blown engine.

X2

black911 said:
job done :)

4L :)

Ding Dang Do

Didn't you put 3L in then another 1L then said you were going to put another 2L in?

Did you remember to put the sump plug back :?:

lol, way to many people on this forum shite themselves about engine failure.
stop worrying guys and start driving I thrash the hell out of my 997s daily, if it breaks I fix it? no problem I have a gold warranty, wouldn't even pick the phone and waste my time.

from what I hear, the Porsche that get used.. are fine, its the garage queens or old dudes that end up with engine failure, having said that surly all this crying about "will Porsche help" i see, hand in pockets and pay for it.. shouldn't be driving Porsches if you cant afford the mods or problems when they happen.
Can i do this... no it will invalid the warranty..
Can I do this to my own car... no it will invalid the warranty..

don't mean to offend just fed up of people who live there life around warrants and engine failures.. :thumb:

ffs low oil is not the end of the world

black911 said:
na its not a big issue, I spoke to Porsche and they didnt seem to think it was to bad they just said add some oil and it will be fine.

I did it and all good car is great again, I never got any warnings just I noticed it when i was talking after putting the key in.

engine inspections.. shavings.. :( naaa its just low oil lol.

No its just low oil when you need a 1/2 litre top up maximum, which is the most you will ever need if you look at the guage Porsche kindly put in our cars.

You've added 4l of oil, this say to me that the oil level has either been low for a long time or recently your car has started to drink oil at a high rate, either way it needs looking into.

These engines are designed to run with circa 8l of oil to ensure everything recieves maximum protection and lubrication. Your engine had only half of this as you've added 4l of oil to get the oil guage registering again, so you've been driving you car for what is no doubt months with very low oil level.

As such your engine wear rate has increased considerably whilst the oil has been so low.

You say Porsche said its OK and its just low oil, then I ask if its OK then how come Porsche don't just put 4l of oil in our engines from the factory as you seem to think its nothing to worry about.

I might be ***** but I religiously check mine every morning, I keep it on maximum, so all segments lit up bar one, if I do a track day I add 200-300ml to get all the segments lit up, this is advisable for track use as the Carrera does not use a dry sump. I like to give my engine the best possible protection by keep the oil level where it should be and I change the oil and filter every 6000 miles.

Now your car has either been running on very low for a very long time or its recently found a thirst for oil and is drinking it very quick. Either way get the engine looked at. A bore inspection is easy and inspecting the old filter is easy, surely you want to protect your engine and not take any risk?

Yes I drive my car hard and enjoy it, I do track days, but at the same time I look after it like its my babe, its over serviced, never revved over 3000rpm until 92c on oil is reach and it only ever drinks Vpower.
Yes I have a warranty so if it breaks yes they will fix it, but I still give the car the care and attention it deserves as if I did not have a warranty because I'd rather nothing broke on it and my car is used daily so for it to break would be stressful.

Is your car under warranty? If so what do Porsche think of all the GT3 bits, plenums your thinking of adding etc?

An Isambard Kingdom Brunel for the 21st century if ever I saw one :thumb:

black911 said:
lol, way to many people on this forum shite themselves about engine failure.
stop worrying guys and start driving I thrash the hell out of my 997s daily, if it breaks I fix it? no problem I have a gold warranty, wouldn't even pick the phone and waste my time.

ffs low oil is not the end of the world

This has nothing to do with Porsche design issues or people shitting themselves about it, you have run a performance car on less than half the oil it should have for a considerable amount of time.

Can you really not see that's a problem? You seem to be trying to bluff your way through a situation that's pretty embarrassing by shouting at people about unrelated issues.

as I said the warranty came with the car and I changed the rear deck that makes any warranty useless, does not bother me one bit.
Its my car, not Porsches :)

Has anyone else noticed how much quieter their engine is when it's filled with oil?

Screw Oettle, open the taps (on the sump) and let the unhindered symphony of (momentarily) reciprocating parts brighten your day :thumb:

When you need to quieten down, say on returning home at 3am and considerately not wishing to wake the neighbours, simply pour fine grade sawdust into the filler neck - always worked a treat on the Vauxhall gearboxes (and they were filled from the factory like that).

I am thinking of rigging up some form of remote control (probably via rods or cable and pulleys) to deploy the PSE (Porsche Sawdust Enema) from the driver's seat.

Keep a look out for the FAQ.

Moonshine said:
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=671765&highlight=#671765

:?:

nothing more than the flat 6... actually it is very quite now... but as I say engine failure> my line of work would not bother me 1 bit. :dont know:

A relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery :?:

rofl

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back