Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 911 991 Transmission Origins?

sld82

Silverstone
Does anyone else think that the new 911's transmission setup might originate from Audi? I mean, I remember looking at "new" pictures of the last generation Audi A8 a few years ago, + the current model, and I did take particular note of just how far forward the gear selector/ lever has been positioned.

Fast forward a few years. Porsche and VW are in the midst of a merger and we all know Audi is in the fray.

Is this actually just a parts-sharing scenario? Are VW and Audi just shoving a (modernised) Audi tranny (ahem) into the 911??

Talking about parts sharing - look at the new VW Beetle's headlights and compare them to the new 911. Probably not 100% re-used, but I think they share a "rim" or surround.

P.S: I did drive a VW Amarok, and I distinctly remember that the gear lever was also placed quite far forward and to the left (it was a right-hand drive model).

I stand to be corrected.

If I remember correctly the Audi is front engined :?:

All their own work :thumb:

GT4 said:
If I remember correctly the Audi is front engined :?:

All their own work :thumb:

Fair enough, but engine position and transmission position are not entirely dependent upon each other? (S-Class and old 7-series had column-mounted levers?).

:thumb:

You'll note the smiley man giving away I do actually know where the engine is on both, that was a joke.

As to your observation on gear selector placements, I don't know where to start on that one.

All I'll say is you do know Porsche have had Tiptronic "remote" gear changes for decades now?

You can mount the car in a test chamber and change gear via a cable into te operators room without even being in the car!

American autos have had column changes for over half a century!

You need to go have a look at the transmission and how it is mated with the engine, the driveline, any differentials and the chassis/subframe or even if it is a load bearing structure.

Then come back and tell me how the manual works :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back