Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

After 48years it's the final halt to the 911 Handbrake RIP!

PabloAU said:
Me....... :shooter:

Had a Merc foot brake fail in France - resulting in Mrs P looking for a suitable wheel chock in the hills at the back of Carcassone in the dark - wet night that was the 3rd night of a 12 yr delayed honeymoon - the scars on my back are still raised & fresh over that one :eek:

The Merc footbrake is cable operated isn't it? Mine is.

We had an switch actuated parking brake on our Land Rover Discovery. It had one small advantage over the cable linked type in that it automatically released itself if you drove off without manually releasing it first. This feature on the L/R and other 4x4s saves many a school-run-mum from returning home with cooked brakes...

Now look, I know a lot about porkers but nothing about mechanics etc etc. I also always use the handbrake in isolation and never leave the car in first gear. Slate me if you want. I know that if you have been booting the car especially on a track day then leaving in gear is exactly what you should do etc. I went out for a spirited drive in the 997 once and pulled onto my drive and applied the handbrake. The car obviously cooled down, metal contracted and car rolled off my drive and nearly hit a tree. That aside some people (my wife for one) sometimes struggled with the handbrake and pulling it up far enough. Surely this just marks as another user friendly improvement. It's not an issue for an aircooled supporter as you won't be buying a 991! The only real issue I am seeing with this car at the moment is the price point which I think they have got wrong.

One thing that I would say is a definate advantage with the electric brake is you are assured that the car 'won't' roll away, the car will warn if the gradient is too steep for the handbrake alone to hold the car.

All my BM's in the past, and now my 911 have the manual handbrake that utilise IMHO too small a drum design inside the rear disc, meaning that on a hill where electric would have no issue, you feel like you are about to pull the handbrake off the floor to get it to stop rolling.

I have now given up with it where I live, and just rely on the fact it's in park!

Position of that handbrake switch is awful though, and pull to release, and push to engage is just wrong.

One last cool thing this button does though is when going at a rate of knots, and holding the electric handbrake, the car will perform a perfect emergency stop utilising all four brakes (obviously).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back