Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SPORTS QUICK GEAR SHIFT KIT Fitting 2003 5 speed 2.7

PBWHN

Hi

I am sure there are some out there who have done this procedure and I would be greatfull if they could share with me the pros and cons of fitting this type of upgrade and also suggestions on what type to go for and what the benifit was.

Thanks in advance

Still a newbie but enjoying the ride who needs a sound system when you have a boxster :thumb:

PBWHN

There are two options open to you.

1. Fit the later 987/997 gear lever unit, this has around 20 % less throw than the 986/996 unit and will not exhibit the stiffness seen on the short shift when cold. If you buy a used item make sure you also buy the cheap lock bridge clip to align the lever when refitting. The porsche dealer can supply these for a couple of pounds.

2. Fit the porsche or copy short shift kit. This reduces the throw by around 30 % but can be stiff in operation when the gearbox is cold. Look on E bay for the EBM unit for around 50 pounds. Requires you to cut off the existing plastic bushed on the shift mechanism so its not possible to go back to standard. To fit it correctly you need to mark the position of the gear cables before disconnecting.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back