Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2012 Porsche 991 911 unveiled in Stuttgart

sld82

I guess there will not be too many surprises at the Frankfurt show at this rate :dont know:

The final picture is a "stretch" 911S (must be the one I read about somewhere that was made for Professor Ferdinand Porsche?).

Enjoy.

991-Porsche-911-front-view-live-Munich-reveal-1024x640.jpg

991-Porsche-911-interior-live-Munich-reveal-1024x640.jpg

991-Porsche-911-rear-three-quarter-live-Munich-reveal-1024x640.jpg

991-Porsche-911-rear-view-live-Munich-reveal-1024x640.jpg

991-Porsche-911-rim-live-Munich-reveal-1024x640.jpg

991-Porsche-911-side-view-live-Munich-reveal-1024x640.jpg

Vintage-911-S-1024x640.jpg

Review by MotorTrend correspondent from the same unveil:

Deep within the cavernous Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, where it was surrounded by sparkling examples of everything from modest 356s to mammoth 917s, the new 2012 911 (known internally as the 991) was waiting beneath a white sheet.

It sat through a marketing presentation that stressed its critical importance to the brand, and its influence on future Porsches (including the upcoming Cajun).

It waited through a technical presentation that explored the various efficiency-enhancing details that lower the fuel consumption of the PDK version by over 15 percent "” including its 40 kg lighter aluminum/steel hybrid chassis (that's also 20 percent stiffer), its standard auto-start/stop system on all models, its micro-recapture of brake energy via the alternator and starter battery, its electrically-assisted power steering that only uses energy when it's required, its clean underbody devoid of air-resisting vents or scoops, its 7 percent lower rolling resistance tires, and its efficiently-integrated thermal management includes transmission cooling into its calculations.

It waited through a discussion of its PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) system that hydraulically manipulates the anti-roll bars to almost completely delete roll while cornering.

It waited through a run-down of its performance: the Carrera's 3.4-liter engine gains 5 hp over its 3.6-liter predecessor to 350 hp, and shaves 0.1 seconds from its 0-62 mph sprint (4.8 seconds for the 7-speed manual, 4.6 for the PDK). Likewise, the Carrera S's 3.8-liter engine with 400 hp (up from 385) clips 0.2 seconds off its predecessor's 0-62 mph dash (4.5 seconds for the manual, 4.3 for the PDK).

And finally it waited through a cagey discussion of its rethought styling that illustrated its shape beside its predecessor via shadowy, ill-defined, images on the big projection screen. And then two Porsche officials grasped the sides of the while sheet and pulled it away. The 356s and 917s stared.

As did we in the audience. The 991 is a beautiful car. It's lovely from every angle, and downright intriguing from more than a few. It'll be certain to elicit slow whistles as it snorts past cafes on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

But I'm also certain everybody in that room was also thinking the same thing as we politely applauded – has Porsche stretched the visual rules that define a 911, too far this time? Revolving on the rotating stage before us, the car's rear is taller than before, and defined by surprisingly beveled details that frame taillights that'll have Aston Martin calling its patent attorneys. The car's profile is noticeably elongated (the wheelbase is 4-inches longer, but with less rear overhang) making it seem slightly androgynous as to which end really contains the engine. Up front, the headlight covers are bulging crystalline shells, and laterally more separated, thus nearer to the car's flanks "” the effect being very Panamera. The wheel diameters "” 19s on the Carrera and 20s on the Carrera S (the fronts are carried on a widened track that loudly pronounces them) "” are absolutely terrific. But maybe so terrific they compete with the bodywork instead of complement it.

Nearby, Porsche had a number of prior 911s rotating on turntables of their own, making stark the evolution's progress. Early 911s were characterized by tall windshields, delicate upright greenhouses, and tails that swept close down to the ground. By the time the 997 appeared (the 991's predecessor) the entire car seemed to have widened, thickened, and melted towards the road; its tail tapered less and bluntly finished. With the 991, however, any vestige of those early cars is now gone. The 911 seems memorable principally for its visual width, lowness and stretched length. If the 997 was a stalking jungle cat, the 991 is a much, much bigger one, creeping very close to the ground. If I gave it a quick glance directly from the rear, I might not even recognize it as a 911.

The Panamera's influence seems considerable "” including a miniature version of the four-door's sweeping, button-filled, center stack (unfortunately, the much maligned, small PDK toggle switches have somehow survived). While we'll have to wait and see if the 991 lives up to Porsche's technical billing, the odds are we won't be disappointed. However, its aggressively-altered styling may take a bit more time to decide about. Will Porschefiles accept a 911 that's this big and this different, or will the seventh generation of the breed be the one that doesn't get included in the Stuttgart museum with the 356s and 917s? As I said, it's a gorgeous car "” that's not in question. But is it a gorgeous 911?

I'm still rubbing my chin.

@GT4 - thanks for posting the full article! I only held back from doing so because search engines can be quite @nal about duplicate content - can knock Page Rank and so on. Still, I could have posted a link...

@Porsche News, the brakes do appear on the wrong side of average (I'm sure someone commented on this before). They may have made advances in materials to get better bite from that size. Also, maybe a CCB option could solve that? :dont know: Here's hoping it is so.

next time your driving past an Audi dealership take a look at the front of the cars lined-up.....yes that's correct, they all look the "corporate" same.

Take a look at Porsche in about 5-10 years time and that same vision of VAG motoring sterility could be on offer(but hopefully not).

Crikey, with the duplicate content we have on here it's a surprise we rank any where on Google!

wizard993 said:
next time your driving past an Audi dealership take a look at the front of the cars lined-up.....yes that's correct, they all look the "corporate" same.

True.

wizard993 said:
Take a look at Porsche in about 5-10 years time and that same vision of VAG motoring sterility could be on offer(but hopefully not).

I thought earlier, that would be about the time I'd take a Smith & Wesson or a Desert Eagle to my head.

Bizzare jokes aside, I hope the new 911 chassis isn't the Porsche Cajun (or some newfangled Audi A-something model)'s chassis. The unveiling at Stuttgart apparently already alluded to how important the new 911 is in relation to the Cajun. What is the tie that's going to bind, besides their badges?

Something is going on at VAG/ Porsche, and I am not sure that I like it.

"Something is going on at VAG/ Porsche, and I am not sure that I like it."

brand/image conformance perhaps?......bringing that wild thing(911) into line. :dont know:

The new chassis platform has been designed to be shared by all new models coming out of Porsche over the next 8 years (and many VW/AUDI/SEAT/SKODA models) with only minor modifications to the modular suspension and engine subframes.

These may be installed on a "mix-n-match" basis depending on the wheelbase required and whether the vehicle will be an AWD, RWD or FWD variant (FWD is only to be utilised by Audi/VW sister models), a sports/GT variant, a saloon variant or SUV variant.

The new shared platform has a code name dependent on the engine location:

(because of the way the rear sub-frame can be rotated and installed 180 degrees resulting in an inboard engine mounting, the rear engined chassis variant can be configured for the mid-engined 981/981C next generation Boxster/Cayman)

Rear/Mid Engined (Porsche) - P11 SH/ME

Front/Universal (Porsche, Audi, VW) - P11 LL/U

Or just P11SH/ME P11LL/U

...I can just see the Skoda drivers brag........

"this car has the same chassis as a 911 you know"

They will be churning out Porsche's like confetti soon.

I can never imagine FIAT drivers being able to brag that they have a Ferrari chassis.

Maybe the 996/997's will be regarded as the last proper/true Porsche 911's after all/over time.

wizard993 said:
"Something is going on at VAG/ Porsche, and I am not sure that I like it."

brand/image conformance perhaps?......bringing that wild thing(911) into line. :dont know:

Perhaps, but at what cost? I for one think that the 911 is better the wilder and the quirkier it is. I don't want it brought into line. Keep the 911...a 911. I honestly prefer it quirkiest than fastest or easiest to drive fast. I feel that the original 911 wasn't about sucking up to all drivers; rather, I feel it was about rewarding the subset of drivers that could extract precision handling and performance out of it? :dont know: :bandit:

wizard993 said:
Maybe the 996/997's will be regarded as the last proper/true Porsche 911's after all/over time.

As an owner, it would be too easy to just agree. But I think that you could be right - at least until they've sorted all this lot out and moved on to the next model!

It's a lovely looking car in its own right - but a nice 911....? Not too sure about that.....

In two weeks my passion for 911's has been weakened by the 991 thus far, It's platform sharing ethos, lack of power to carry the new variant forward vs what's coming out + that back-end, is a turn-off so far for me personally.

The electric steering system could yet be the final nail in the coffin if the 991 does not "feel" at least as good as the 997 and more importantly the 996(which many regard as having the best rack/steering ever fitted to a 911). This "new" 911 steering technology has been heavily slated in other high performance cars and if Porsche mess-up, it could be a big issue for traditional 911 sales(unless they really do want to target a whole new mass-market/customer base) who care less about the things that I/ others look for in the 911 :dont know:

wizard993 said:
In two weeks my passion for 911's has been weakened by the 991 thus far.........

Surely you just mean your passion for the new '911'..?

People are probably feeling the same way about this as 964 and 993 owners did (and probably still do) about the 996.1. A huge transition both mechanically and physically.

Look at this way; if you'd rather stay around 996.1, 996.2, 997.1 and 997.2 territory - just think about how many you'll have to choose from!! The market has been awash with these variants for years!

Financially, I'll be way out of my depth with the 991 but even if I did have the cash I'd just bag myself a 997.2 - TT if I could run to one - but an S or a Carrera would be far more desirable to me than a new one of these.

In lots of ways the car just seems 'too much'.

Not everything needs to physically 'evolve'.

Here's two examples that haven't changed one bit in over 50 years.....and they're the epitome of 'iconic'!

(Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the 'frames' that go 'round these attachments and their titles, etc..Thanks! Ade.)

Attachments

• 1950_strat_185.jpg
    1950_strat_185.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 7,821
  • 2010_strat_207.jpg
    2010_strat_207.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 7,821
  • 1959_les_paul_156.jpg
    1959_les_paul_156.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 7,821
  • 2010_les_paul_872.jpg
    2010_les_paul_872.jpg