Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just remind me what I 'm getting for my money ...

GT4

3.4L engine - CHECK
50KGs lighter than 997 - CHECK
Swoopy aerodynamic headlamps - CHECK
Optional 10-spoke alloys - CHECK

Attachments

• 996991_489.jpg
    996991_489.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 5,756
GT4 said:
Swoopy aerodynamic headlamps - CHECK
Tenuous. And subjective too, surely... :hand:

None of it is subjective, not really sure how aerodynamics can be :dontknow:

Ant, you do realise I was comparing the 996 to 997 and 991 to 997 and therefore questioning (admittedly tongue in cheek) what just happened in the last 7/8 years?

My 996 is a 3.4 (same as 991)
My 996 is lighter by about 45/50 KGs than a 997.2 (the same as 991:997.2)
My 996 has "swoopy" aerodynamic lights, like the 991, but most definitely NOT like the 993 and therefore NOT like the 997 which has basically the same uprights (in fact the new 991 deliberately bows the clear lenses convex so that air and stones don't "see" a flat upright face to the lamps).
My 996 has 10-spoke alloys, that new 991 has 10-spokes of a similar design.

On that basis I stand by the reasons for my double-take at the specs or overall shape or design features.

If you want me to be really honest, I can actually tell the differences too!

clinchy993 said:
So have you bitten the bullet then Paul :eek: if so what spec :worship:

Erm, no.

I obviously didn't make this facetious post as clear as I could.

I can give you a list of reasons for why they are different and why I won't be:

1) Size

monster said:
and

sculpted muscular rear haunches - fail !

Yep, you'll note that it isn't a list of differences, as apart from a wheel on each corner, they are pretty much chalk and cheese.

And, in the absence of a test drive, that is the reason I can't see the attraction to me yet.

I am of course looking at the new car in a different light because I don't own a 997 etc.

For me the new shape from every angle makes the past model look dated (sorry existing owners :friends: ) and I'm sure others will be on the look out for used examples in 12-18 month's :?:

GT4 said:
None of it is subjective, not really sure how aerodynamics can be :dontknow:

Ant, you do realise I was comparing the 996 to 997 and 991 to 997 and therefore questioning (admittedly tongue in cheek) what just happened in the last 7/8 years?

My 996 is a 3.4 (same as 991)
My 996 is lighter by about 45/50 KGs than a 997.2 (the same as 991:997.2)
My 996 has "swoopy" aerodynamic lights, like the 991, but most definitely NOT like the 993 and therefore NOT like the 997 which has basically the same uprights (in fact the new 991 deliberately bows the clear lenses convex so that air and stones don't "see" a flat upright face to the lamps).
My 996 has 10-spoke alloys, that new 991 has 10-spokes of a similar design.

On that basis I stand by the reasons for my double-take at the specs or overall shape or design features.

If you want me to be really honest, I can actually tell the differences too!

Oh yeah, I got your point re: 'exactly how much of an evolution is the 991' but surely 'swoopy' is subjective - you can't measure 'swoopiness' of a 996 headlight (or indeed a 997 or 991)!

For further comparison don't forget 'faster than outgoing model but lost some of the '911-ness' re: handling'. Also subjective because neither of us have driven a 991, but I'll put a tenner on it... :thumb:

I made no assessment of the new car's handling (for obvious reasons), and you are taking what was meant as a throw-away, light-hearted comparison of features far too seriously.

But in the "swoopy" front, assuming it is a word (and if it isn't, it is outside of the bounds of any logical discussion), then the lights of the 996 ARE more if we assume "swooped"=raked vs the more vertical 993-retro 997 lights. That we can measure with a protractor and set-square or similar.

Actually, the 996.1 narrow body doesn't do too bad in the hip stakes:

996_hips_124.jpg

PEC%20Silverstone.JPG

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back