Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It's official - there's a new 911!

Introducing the new 911

The new 911 Carrera and Carrera S models have been officially announced worldwide today.

Key elements of the 911 have not been changed - the flat-six engine, the distinctive layout with the engine at the rear and the unique aerodynamic shape. However, the engineers have poured countless hours into developing an all-new bodyshell, featuring a roofline that is lower, a longer wheelbase and a wider front track to further improve the dynamic character of the car. The look and feel of the interior takes clear design cues from the Carrera GT while new materials and technology combine to significantly reduce weight and consequently CO2 emissions, improving both performance and fuel consumption.

The engine capacity in the new 911 Carrera is reduced to 3.4 litres, yet delivers more power, 350 hp and 0 to 62 mph in 4.6 seconds, while the 3.8 litre engine in the new 911 Carrera S produces 400 hp and a 0 to 62 mph time of only 4.3 seconds.

Both models deliver impressive fuel consumption – 34.4 mpg* for the 911 Carrera on a combined cycle and 32.4 mpg* for the 911 Carrera S. Emissions figures are equally impressive - 194 g/km for the 911 Carrera and 205 g/km for the Carrera S.

The new two wheel drive 911 Carrera Coupé models will be on sale from 17 December 2011 and pricing is as follows:

911 Carrera £71,449.00 (inc. VAT at 20%)
911 Carrera S £81,242.00 (inc. VAT at 20%)

An order for either of these models can be made by placing a £3,000 deposit with your nearest Porsche Centre. Included in the price is a Porsche Driving Experience at the Porsche Driving Experience Centre Silverstone and a three year warranty.

For more information on the new 911 please contact your nearest Porsche Centre or alternatively visit www.porsche.co.uk where more details will be available shortly.

*Fuel consumption and emission figures are based on the 911 with a Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission

Chassis and technology
Increased length (56mm), wider front track (52mm), longer wheel base (100mm) and larger wheels as standard all provide a more dynamic driving experience. Now standard on the Carrera S, Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) adds to the agile nature of the car, and available as an option for the first time is Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) – an active chassis system which further enhances the sporting nature of the new 911.

Interior
Look and feel of the interior adopts design cues from the Carrera GT with a raised centre console and luxurious materials. Redesigned seats combine greater comfort with more support and now feature 4-way electric adjustment. A new addition to the instrument cluster is a high resolution 4.6-inch full VGA TFT colour display giving key information to the driver such as navigation instructions.

Reduced weight
All-new bodyshell of aluminium-steel composite and other lightweight materials result in a significantly lighter car (up to 45kg lighter vs. the previous model). These elements contribute to an improved power to weight ratio as well as significant advancements in performance and efficiency.

Attachments

• 1521208_image3_191.jpg
    1521208_image3_191.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 7,614
  • 1521207_image2_469.jpg
    1521207_image2_469.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 7,614
  • 1521206_image1_642.jpg
    1521206_image1_642.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 7,614
.....the basic carrera should have had 380/400BHP and a 3.8/4.0 (re 420/430bhp for the "S").

I think they have finally bowed down to the Eurocrats who have been giving Porsche a hard time in recent years over power vs emissions. :nooo: Either that or Audi have put their foot in it.

7 years since the 997 appeared and the 991 is just about faster than the older car and a fair bit more expensive.

In my book that's not progress for the 911(which I really wanted it to be).

"The R8 is due to be replaced with a brand new model in calendar year 2014.[11] The highest output version of Audi's new 4.0 liter V8 twin-turbocharged engine is expected to power the new car. This engine is scheduled to be previewed as a detuned version in the 2012 Audi S8"”with 518 hp (386 kW) on tap.[citation needed] In the R8 application it is expected to produce about 600 hp.[citation needed] Combined with an approximate 200 lb (91 kg) weight loss, the new R8 is expected to compete well with the new Porsche 991 twin turbo model and will likely perform significantly better than the current R8 GT with a 0–60 mph time in 3.2 seconds and a quarter mile in less than 11 seconds. A dual clutch automated gearbox will be offered for the first time."

I think we can now see where the possible future is for the 911...2nd division or killed-off within the next 5 years?

:damn: "I'm out"

herbie911 said:
The co2 emission is unbelievably good for a car that can do more than 180mph. Does Porsche owner really care about those statistic?

I think some do actually. For me its a pleasure to pay GBP210 per annum on road tax compared to my neighbours' GBP400 on his Golf R32. Every little helps as they say.

herbie911 said:
The new 991 will stand no chance in the motorway against the new BMW M3 or any Merc from the AMG division. The bhp increase is not sufficient for current gen 2 owner to notice any difference in their seats. I cannot see anyone who got the 408bhp version of their 997 would like to trade-in for the newer version.

I disagree. I was once racing a current M3 in my 4S and I almost kept up with him. He did pull ahead on the straights but I caught up each time a roundabout came along. To say I didn't stand a chance would be incorrect.

Just my personal experiences.

Maxie

It's not just the road tax, but Benefit In Kind (BIK) taxes that could be thousands less a year for business users.

spectraluk said:
Not sure how they justify the price hikes with only a few mpg to be gained it would seem?

:?:

Maybe they need to absorb R & D and retooling costs? This is a "completely new" (gasp!) 911 after all. Extensive aluminium usage must also add a premium at some point? :dont know:

I won't try too hard to find excuses for them, but I'm already crushing on it. If I had the dosh I'd be all over a Carrera S/ 4S. At least until the Turbo and Turbo S came out (drumroll....) :thumbs:

I think these figures are very impressive for the cooking version of the 911. I can't wait to see what the turbo / GT3 and the other 30 odd versions will be like.

MC

I think those with economy and environment in mind will be very happy with the base Carrera. I think the base model is a cracking 911 for the type of customer it tried to attract!

I am really disappointed with the 991 Carrera S. It is really a touch too slow to do battle with the current XKR, C63 AMG. let alone future performance models from these rivals. Even a 'CHIPPED' TT RS or Focus RS will give this car a very hard time. You will stand no chance against the 'NEW' turbocharged M3 which will churn out at least 450bhp!!!!

If I am spending £90000+ on a benchmark sportscar, I expect its straightline speed to be competitive against cars like the Aston Vantage S or the Jaguar XKR.

I hope it can compensate it lack of competitive straightline speed with sublime feel and entertaining handling!

herbie911 said:
You will stand no chance against the 'NEW' turbocharged M3 which will churn out at least 450bhp!!!!

Why, what are the performance figures of the new M3? 0-60mph, 0-100mph and in-gear acceleration times?

What did you not like about the new 991 S when you compared it to the new M3?

Maxie :?:

Probably all that ugly plastic, cardboard and gaffer tape camo it had to wear whilst he drove it :roll:

GT4 said:
Probably all that ugly plastic, cardboard and gaffer tape camo it had to wear whilst he drove it :roll:

Haha, I'll bet!

| Maxie :)

Not hard to speculate.
Over the last 10 years, every M3 came after a new 911 was born. It is obvious that the BMW Motorsport department see the 911 as one of their major rivals.

E46 >996 C2 3.4

E92> 997 Gen 1

Porsche always fight back with their face-lift model

I think I will wait for gen 2 991 or the GT3

herbie911 said:
Not hard to speculate.
Over the last 10 years, every M3 came after a new 911 was born. It is obvious that the BMW Motorsport department see the 911 as one of their major rivals.

E46 >996 C2 3.4

E92> 997 Gen 1

Porsche always fight back with their face-lift model

I think I will wait for gen 2 991 or the GT3

Maybe but it didn't really answer my questions.....After all, we can all speculate and theorise.

| Maxie :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back