Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The new 991: quick, buy the old one now!

GT4

Nordschleife
The first of the three most critical departures between it and its forebears is that this is the first 911 to be built chiefly from aluminium.

The second difference is that the wheelbase has been extended by a substantial (but currently secret) amount.

Two-thirds of the extra space between the wheels is located behind the driver, although it remains a fundamentally two-seat car. Project manager August Achleitner insists the car's character and agility have not been compromised.

The front track has been widened by a similar amount to that of the current 997 GT3 RS.

The suspension's relative spring rates have been slightly increased while the damping has been backed off a little, in pursuit of better small bump isolation.

Whether this has been achieved at the expense of some of that magical 997 ability to make you feel hardwired into the road surface, is simply impossible to say without a steering wheel in your hands.

What you do notice is the disconnect between the savagery with which the car attacks each corner and the almost complete tranquillity in the cockpit.

What strikes you most is how easy it appears to be to drive the car on the limit, and how unflappable is its composure.

If fiddling with a 911's wheelbase is courting controversy, changing the way it steers might be seen by purists as punching it in the face. The third reason this 911 is like no other before is that hydraulic power steering has been dropped for an electro-mechanical system.

The 991 is lighter than the car it replaces by dozens of kilos, despite bigger, heavier wheels, tyres and brakes and more robust crash structures. It's also very slightly lower.

While the 'S' continues to displace 3.8-litres, the standard car's capacity has been reduced to 3.4-litres. In fact its bore and stroke are identical to those of a Boxster S, though different cams and a new exhaust provide more power – 350bhp at the moment, though homologation has yet to be completed. The power of the 3.8 rises to 400bhp and the rev limit of both engines increases by 200rpm to 7800rpm.

More power and less weight means 4.5sec for the S and 4.8sec for the 3.4-litre car.

The PDK double clutch auto has been sharpened up again but it is the manual that might be introduced that breaks new ground. In effect it is a manually controlled single clutch version of PDK which means, for the first time in any manual production car: seven forward speeds.

This means the old gearbox is no more, so Porsche's Motorsport colleagues working on the next generation of GT3s down in Weissach have nothing to strap to the old race-based flat six that's powered all their cars since 1999.

So this noble motor has been retired, to be replaced by the somewhat simpler, cheaper, more modern and unrelated direct injection engine used by all other 911s. Quite what will be done to it for the new GT3 remains to be seen

The new interior reveals Panamera style and switches.

Is this still a 911? If it is, it will be a rather different one – even more useable, spacious, comfortable and quiet.

Great review Paul. :worship:

But.. :useless:

I would be interested to know how this will drive. When will we get the chance to see it, and drive it, in the flesh?

GT4 said:
So this noble motor has been retired, to be replaced by the somewhat simpler, cheaper, more modern and unrelated direct injection engine used by all other 911s. Quite what will be done to it for the new GT3 remains to be seen

The new interior reveals Panamera style and switches.

Is this still a 911? If it is, it will be a rather different one – even more useable, spacious, comfortable and quiet.

As discussed on another thread, it does look like the GT's in the guise of a 911 are coming to an end :?:

OMG I hope they don't "dampen" it down too much. There is no doubt about it, Europe is heading more towards building smaller CC cars.

"This means the old gearbox is no more, so Porsche's Motorsport colleagues working on the next generation of GT3s down in Weissach have nothing to strap to the old race-based flat six that's powered all their cars since 1999. "

Surely they have another manual box ready........or are we looking at our first non-manual GT?

I don't have a privileged source, and I certainly haven't personally driven it or even seen the new 991 yet.

The post is is edited/compiled from another source (obviously), but with identical content (I added nothing outside of required tense changes or first to third person etc).

However, I did specifically rearrange the content.

Firstly bring all the related comments (eg engines and gear box, structure and suspension etc) together.

Secondly, I specifically made it "controversial" or certainly a "darker" review for the purposes of being contrarian or a discussion point (ie get a reaction!).

There is no rejoicing in any aspects per se.

But, and this is important and is to some extent the inspiration for the post, it does reflect my concerns for Porsche and specifically the future for the sportscar we all know and love (including the wet ones) as the "911".

I just hope this isn't the 911's Mark III Golf moment :sad:

We will have to wait and see.

Golf_GTI_Edition_profil.jpg

Buy a 993 if you want to stay connected :D :D

GT4 said:
I don't have a privileged source, and I certainly haven't personally driven it or even seen the new 991 yet.

The post is is edited/compiled from another source (obviously), but with identical content (I added nothing outside of required tense changes or first to third person etc).

However, I did specifically rearrange the content.

Firstly bring all the related comments (eg engines and gear box, structure and suspension etc) together.

Secondly, I specifically made it "controversial" or certainly a "darker" review for the purposes of being contrarian or a discussion point (ie get a reaction!).

There is no rejoicing in any aspects per se.

But, and this is important and is to some extent the inspiration for the post, it does reflect my concerns for Porsche and specifically the future for the sportscar we all know and love (including the wet ones) as the "911".

I just hope this isn't the 911's Mark III Golf moment :sad:

We will have to wait and see.

Golf_GTI_Edition_profil.jpg

If they s*rew up the GT variants in particular(or not launch for a long time) then I predict that 996/997 GT2/3's will all be in high demand....esp that 4.0GT3 RS....hmmmm.

wizard993 said:
If they s*rew up the GT variants in particular(or not launch for a long time) then I predict that 996/997 GT2/3's will all be in high demand....esp that 4.0GT3 RS....hmmmm.

Agreed. This sounds like bad news for the 911.

I'd be quite happy with myself if I'd just bought a GTS, or owned any GT model infact.

interior pic of 991...first impressions

Make your own mind up.

Attachments

• 991_cabin_657.jpg
    991_cabin_657.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 11,312
from a few months back.....

"Originally Posted by rosenbergendo »
Just got back from Daytona and my 2010 Gt3 in the Porsche corral with my 4 year old. I managed to corner one of the very very higher ups of Porsche motorsport and he was VERY open with 991 info. He saw my car and I started asking him about the 991 GT3/cup and then going on to what he knew about the street car. What he told me is the following.

1.9A1 motor for sure with 480 hp for GT3
2. PDK-S (he used this term twice) which has been tested with the 9A1 for over 4 years he claims.3.Weight loss of 180-200 lbs through use of composites.
4.Aboslutely no hybrid tech.He said specifically it doesnt fit the GT3 motif.
5.Confirmed no more Gt1 (Mezger) block after GT3 RS LE (he confirmed 4.0 RSR motor).
6.Stressed the move of the motor forward essentially making the car a mid-engine car, even though Porsche will never call it one. He says this will make the car more balanced."

Kind of supports the rumour that the GT3 will not be a manual car and that the engine will be moving forward.

..but when will the GT cars emerge? Some say late 2013/early 2014!

Looks a bit like the inside of the Panamera.

I sat inside one yesterday at the Goodwood FOS and I want one now. I don't care if they're ugly that is one hell of a car... :eek:

As per my previous comments on this long ago, I said the car would be bigger, and loose a lot of the traditional characteristics.

The 911 has finished. This is virtually a Panamera.

:sad:

Good 996/997 GT's(and turbo's) could soon be a better investment than Gold :floor:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...TM-for-gold-at-Westfield-Shopping-Centre.html

I recall the Golf MkIII flop......everyone flocked back to the earlier models. Even today the trade don't want them.

Lets hope Porsche don't score an own goal here(gulp) but the vibes are mixed/jury's out at the moment.

Maybe they are going after a more mainstream customer/volume market now(more £££ in it) :dont know:

wizard993 said:
Maybe they are going after a more mainstream customer/volume market now(more £££ in it) :dont know:

Going? Think they almost there already!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back