Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exel Wheels - Top job on Porsche Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

That's great Chris, I've just picked up a set that need a refurb.

Moonshine said:
That's great Chris, I've just picked up a set that need a refurb.

Good stuff. Well just a note on these wheels, they are replicas of course so they are more prone to cracking and pothole damage, so make sure you know what you are buying.

What was interesting is we compared the weight of these wheels with the originals and the rep 19"'s are quite light and explains why they crack.

Here is the dilemma: if you want to avoid pothole damage you are better running higher pressure so that impacts dont transfer through to the rim. But the ride on 19's is quite hard and its tempting to reduce pressure to soften up the ride a bit.

Edit to add a few more pics.

In addition to the refurb:

-we supplied genuine centre caps and repainted in Basalt Black
-supplied the new Continental SP3 N1 front tyres (hard to find currently)
-treated all the arches with our special coating which gets rid of the grey arches and enhances the overall look
-the OEM powdercoated wheel weights we fit were re-painted gloss black so they are less obvious.

018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

032-2.jpg

Cheers Chris, I'll be giving them a good look over.

If you want your wheels done, get great service and get to meet Chris himself, who happens to be a really nice guy, choose Exel Wheels. Nice pics by the way!

I agree..I think personally would look better with a diamond cut lip.

Any spacers on the front Chris?

Shep said:
Hi 911turbo996

As a new owner, like myself, what did you think of the 18" loan wheels vs the 19" on the car? Lots of the comments on here suggest the 19" are significantly worse and I just wanted your opinion as someone who's gone between the two

Thanks
from my experience of 19 inch rims with my previous car , C4S , it destroyed the handling but after many posts on here it could have been down to the fact they weren't OE rims ergo they were a lot heavier , so i would like peoples opinions on OE 19 inch wheels , the rurbo wheels in this thread look great but sometimes on a 996 imho the wheels look too big for the arches !!

Speedtrap said:
I agree..I think personally would look better with a diamond cut lip.

The only trouble with doing that is that it leaves a ridge, and basically that cant be removed in future without re-diamond polishing the whole face. If the wheels had a raised rim all round then it would be a different story.

Moonshine - no spacers to the front

gloss black rims: Chris W / Exel

Our 330d convertible now has gloss black wheels and no sign of the abuse they were subjected to within a week of taking dleivery of the car last year (not at my hands, I must stress and there is only one other person insured to drive it :x ).

Anyhow:- White car / black wheels looks very nice imho - even if it is a bit 'current trend'.

This is the third set of wheels that Chris has sorted for me and to say I am happy with his work and the sevrice provided is a huge understatement :thumb:

I guess you want to see pictures, right :?:

Yes please, :useless:

Here's a few pictures - another car is right along side it at the mo, so could not get a decent side shot without some faffing around:

Attachments

• 330d_1a_143.jpg
    330d_1a_143.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 16,356
  • 330d_2a_144.jpg
    330d_2a_144.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 16,356
  • 330d_4a_849.jpg
    330d_4a_849.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 16,356
  • 330d_3a_525.jpg
    330d_3a_525.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 16,356
V nice :thumbs:

I'm not sure those pics should be allowed on here!

Looks like another good job by Chris though.

Black is a great idea if Mrs Tim993 is still going to be using it, because you can see instantly when she has kerbed it!

:)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back