Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exel Wheels - Top job on Porsche Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

That is too clean. I must go and scrub. :oops:

We also decided to replace all the wheel nuts too, especially the locking ones which had been badly damaged in the past by use of high power airguns.

Here we can see the extent of the damage and how the aluminium starts to crumble when corrosion gets hold. Its surprising how many I see like this....as they always say....blokes should check their nuts regularly.

Tom will testify to the nightmare if they get stuck on! :eek:

021a.jpg

021b.jpg

Here's how the new nuts now look on the car:

phil029.jpg

And finally the wheels...

At first glance these wheels looked pretty good, but on closer inspection corrosion was starting to creep around the valve stems and spokes, as well as a small amount of kerb rash on a couple. There was also evidence of some previous heavy handed refurb work which has slightly altered the profile. There are limits to how good you can get wheels in this condition, but I think they've come out pretty well, not least as this 993 has done well over 100,000 miles!

We fitted new metal valves, not least as there was some leakage.

phil024.jpg

phil027.jpg

phil079.jpg

phil056.jpg

phil041.jpg

phil089.jpg

Thanks for looking! :bye:

Chris W said:
Tom will testify to the nightmare if they get stuck on.

Have you got yourself some Optimol TA yet Chris? A dose of that to each stud should prevent any seizing of the new ones.

Those lockers look well past it!

Fantastic work on the rims as always :thumb:

Nah, don't believe it. Must have been photo shopped. No way you could get wheels looking that good. Impossible etc, I know Chris is good, but surely not that good.

:envy:

Tokyo Joe said:
Nah, don't believe it. Must have been photo shopped. No way you could get wheels looking that good. Impossible etc, I know Chris is good, but surely not that good.

:envy:

I to was an unbeliever my friend, until I got my wheels back yesterday :grin: :grin:

To the OP, could you tell me where you got the wheels and if they are genuine or copies, looking for some myself.

The wheels were already on the car when I purchased it, they are replica wheels. No idea of the original source I am afraid.

Thanks, do you know the wheel width and offset? And did you use any spacers to bring them out in the arches?

There are spacers on the rear wheels, I think the best person to answer all your questions would be Chris @ Exel who has just refurbished the wheels. He took alot of photos as well..

That's great thanks, guessed there were spacers they fill the arches nicely.

Hi 911turbo996

As a new owner, like myself, what did you think of the 18" loan wheels vs the 19" on the car? Lots of the comments on here suggest the 19" are significantly worse and I just wanted your opinion as someone who's gone between the two

Thanks

To be honest the one problem I had before the wheels were refurbished was that they needed balancing, now they have been done its made a whole lot of difference. Personally I can live with the ride difference between the 18s and the 19s, some might not, and I can understand that. My plan is actually to get a set of 18s for my occasional track use and keep the 19s for daily use and the look it gives the car.

Moonshine said:
Thanks, do you know the wheel width and offset? And did you use any spacers to bring them out in the arches?

The rear wheels are 11" x 19" with offset ET51, so identical to the 997 4s & Turbo. This car has approx 15mm spacers fitted, although I didnt measure.

Photo to illustrate:

029a.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back