Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exel Wheels - Top job on Porsche Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

I'm sure you'll be over the moon with the results;I was! :worship:

Exel Wheels

Just a quick note to say that I had the opportunity to meet and try out the services offered by Chris W. I needed four new tyres rather urgently anyhow, but it was made even more so due to the fact that the car was already booked for an MOT at Tognola, which I knew it would probably fail due to the tyres.
No problem for Chris! I dropped the car at Tog first thing Wednesday morning and jumped on the train back to work (got a penalty notice, bloody Southwest trains inspector :x ). Chris turned up and whipped off my 17" Cup 2s with worn Pirellis and fitted a loan set of Turbo Hollow Spokes, with Pirellis on the front and Falkens on the rear, to use for a few days whilst he ordered in my new Contis :)
I picked up the car and on the drive home (only a few miles) immediately noticed that there was LESS road noise compared to the smaller 17 PZeros. I was surprised especially seeing as the 18s are lower profile and MUCH wider compared to the 17s. I wonder if this is simply down to the change in brand on the rear?
One other thing I noticed is that for normal everyday driving there is hardly any difference between 17s and 18s. There was a moderate increase in harshness, but only over really bad roads (that's the majority of them, then).
After having the opportunity to experience 18s I would now not be put off considering a set of Sport Classic IIs in the future :thumb:
Also, not having my car end up in a hedge after running non 'N' rated tyres for a few days has made my mind up that when the temperature drops I'll be investing in a set of non-N winter tyres.

So, to top it off, fantastic service from Chris. He's very passionate about his job and is a true perfectionist. He inspected my wheels that were reconditioned about a year ago by a local outfit. Their slogan is something like 'passion for perfection'. At the time I was fairly happy as the wheels were quite bad before having them done. Even a rattle can would have been better than not having them done! When I got the wheels back I inspected them closely and noticed that there was quite a bit of orange peel and varying texture. I thought I was being too fussy as "they're only wheels" and forgot about it. However, Chris showed me a wheel that he'd done and the difference was noticeable. Chris's finish looks perfectly smooth just like the paintjob on the bodywork. There is a uniform finish and looks just right.
I won't bother until my wheels start to degrade (or I kerb them with my non-N winter tyres :grin: ), but when time comes I'll definitely be using Chris for a refurb.
I also got him to supply a new set of black wheel nuts as mine were looking shabby and one of them started to SHRED when it was removed! :eek:

As for the switch from Pirellis to Continentals, I will post back once I've had a few thousand miles on them or a wet outing!

Stu

+ 1 for Exel... he refurbed my solidspoke replicas to a very high standard, is refurbing my brother's SL wheels, and my father's W124 Brabus wheels, wouldnt trust anyone else tbh.

darren

diddy_p said:
+ 1 for Exel... he refurbed my solidspoke replicas to a very high standard, is refurbing my brother's SL wheels, and my father's W124 Brabus wheels, wouldnt trust anyone else tbh.

darren

Agreed Chris has just done mine and they are better than new, he had a new Factory wheel on the van and showed me the difference ......mine are so much better than new. :thumb:

Yes, getting my refurbed Targa wheels this week!

Will post before and after pics soon.

Chris is a top chap!

Similar story for me:

I had refurbed alloys, average job and got Chris to do his magic. Except.....when I borrowed his 18 turbo twists I ended up buying a set of those as well!!! So he did two sets of wheels and a set of contis. Also some nice new black wheel nuts.

I prefer the way mine rides on the 18s although mines a WB, not sure if that means anything???

Anyhow.....another thumbs up for the man that can.

When Chris fitted some beautiful refurbed 17" cups to my car, not only were the wheel nuts flaking but also one of the locking nuts was crumbling and now immovable. Chris has a perfectly sized tool for drilling these off. Even then it took a while to do properly as you damage things if you go too far.

So he supplied new wheel nuts and locking nuts too. Top guy.

I'm another fan of Chris :thumb: He sorted out my 18" hollow's and the finish on them is simply superb. He also supplied my Michelin PS2's at a good price and rocked up at 8pm and fitted them. Attention to detail and focus on service like that seems pretty hard to find nowadays...

When my Missus has finished crunching her 19" alloys on her Tiguan R-Line it's Chris that I will ask to sort them out.

Re: Exel Wheels

sram said:
...set of Turbo Hollow Spokes, with Pirellis on the front and Falkens on the rear....

Crazy fool! :eek:

sram said:
Also, not having my car end up in a hedge after running non 'N' rated tyres for a few days...

You were so SO lucky :wack: I'm certain there were hundreds of accidents happening around you.

Exel Targa Wheel Refurb w. Pics

Just felt the need to let the masses know what a sterling job Chris Weaver has done to my wheels. From first picking up at my home in Bristol and lending a set of Cup 2s to delivering a week later a superb set of as new looking wheels.

Chris is obviously a stickler for detail - rare these days! The finish on the paint is smooth to say the least, he also includes non-rust factory weights and refinishes the centre caps. All this and left my place after 6pm having been to Newcastle the day before!
(before you ask my surname is not Weaver, in fact it's thanks to this forum and other recommendations)

Hopefully you can see this from the lovely pics.

Sorry about the lack of pictures but try as I might I cannot seem to sort this out! (MODs please make it easier for us!)

I have all my pics in photobucket but can't link them.

Anyone with a foolproof method?

Bristol4Boris said:
Sorry about the lack of pictures but try as I might I cannot seem to sort this out! (MODs please make it easier for us!)

I have all my pics in photobucket but can't link them.

Anyone with a foolproof method?

Hi, I too got my wheels and tyres from Chris and I am very pleased.
As for the pictures, make sure that they don't exceed the maximum sizes for uploading. If they do, you can compress them using microsoft picture manager (standard on most pc's with office). Also, I found that I couldn't upload pictures if I was trying to do it in a pop up window from the 911uk site. Good luck, looking forward to seeing the pics.

Cheers Steve, hopefully somebody will along soon with some advice!

Lloyd

Ps. Ordered the front No. plate.

Bristol4Boris said:
Cheers Steve, hopefully somebody will along soon with some advice!

Lloyd

Ps. Ordered the front No. plate.

Good man! :thumb:
Let's see some pics of that when it's on as well.
Steve
:wink:

Hi Lloyd

With the pic you want to link to Photobucket open, look to the right of the pic, or below if you are looking at the whole album, find where it says "share this photo", just left click the img code, the code should now say "copied".

Go to your post on 911uk, put the cursor where you want the pic to go, then right click and select "paste", the IMG (image) code will appear.

Then click the "preview" button to check you have linked to the correct pic.

Then either continue to edit your post or just click "submit"

Give it a go, whats the worse that can happen :)

Mark

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back