Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

worst entry to boxster ownership ever!!! Really unhappy.

melandnick

Not having a good day today.
I picked up my new toy yesterday - 2001 Boxster S. 53K miles.
Now my initial euphoria has turned into a nightmare and I am starting to have big problems.

lights don't work, they were fine driving back last night but now no dip or main lights (side lights and rears are fine ) though it works if I flash the lights. The fuses are all good.
I can only think that there is a problem with the switch or that a relay or something has gone.....help!

Next thing I found, drivers side heated seat not working. light comes on when button is pressed but goes straight out. Not so bothered about this.

But the worst thing is something that I should have see and didn't. In with all the manuals etc is a "lifetime guarantee of repair certificate" which specifies work done to the car about 2 ½ years ago. It has a list of every panel on the car including bumpers with the words "repair and refinish" next to it, the sill, bonnet and boot just have 'refinish" next to them. So now I know why the bodywork is totally immaculate.
I did a HPI before I bought and it came up clear but I am now stressed that I have bought a real pup.

Purchase was private so no come back.
Car feels tight and gaps etc are perfect as I suppose it should do if Porsche did the repairs but why so much damage?
Any constructive advice will be very welcome ( please, no 'smartass" comments, I know I should have had a check done etc )
The lights are the pressing issue as I can't drive the car.
Help!!!!
Nick

Best thing for the lights will be an auto electrician - could it be a relay? I cant see it being much also try wiggling the switch it could be worn inside after 9 years.

If car passed HPI then it's not a Cat D (?) so despite the 'repairs' to panels they were not earth shattering guaranteed by Porsche and could be a case of the panels being keyed by some jealous scroat :dont know:

I woudn't panic atthis stage - at least the RMS/IMS isn't the issue :dont know:

Ok dont get yourself too worked up although its stressful.

I have the same car at not too different mileage and I too have had some things go wrong. The main thing is to tackle each of the issues and not convince yourself you've bought some some of ringer! These cars are great, but remember its a 9 years old car, and somethings are to be expected. E.g. my alternator went last week, seems to be quite a common/predictable now I know, but it caught me off guard. It is highly likely you have some sort of electrical issue exacerbated by wet and cold weather (seemed to do it to mine!)

You are lucky, if it has a repair certificate then it is fully documented and not some dodgy back street repair. If someone was trying to hide it they wouldnt have passed on the cert.

I would suggest you visit www.boxa.net as that is a dedicated Boxster forum, and you are more likely to get some helpful answers specific to your issues there.

Hope you get it sorted, but honestly, dont get worked up by it.

thanks guys, appreciate the support.
It does drive great and I would argue that its more fun than th 996 C4 that I just sold!

My lights on a 2002 C4S are exhibiting exactly the same problem, and I think we are in good company - just been reading up the fix (consensus is its the light switch common on 996 and boxster) on this very site - its well documented £67 part and fairly straight forward. I know getting out the spanners is probably the last thing you wantto be doing but don't worry its not a biggy.
Re: the bodywork fix, not really able to comment but if Porsche warranted not too much to worry about and car clearly has been well looked after an unscrupulous owner would have had it fixed in a back street garage on the cheap

Re: worst entry to boxster ownership ever!!! Really unhapp

melandnick said:
Next thing I found, drivers side heated seat not working. light comes on when button is pressed but goes straight out. Not so bothered about this.

There is a current Boxa.net thread on heated seats failure, so to nick a few things from there.....

-is it both seats or just drivers? They have individual controls but shared supply.
-it is advised to check the fuse down by the drivers footwell. Top row 5 from the right 25 Amp.

Hi

You need to find out what work was done to the car IRO the panel resprays. It could have been a keyed car and a badly worded receipt that makes things sound worse than they are.

All the best, and please let us know.....

Berni

Welcome to 911uk :bye:

Don't worry too much, the lights will be the switch (common on the 996 and Boxster)
As long as the paint looks well and the HPI is clear along with the cert saying "refresh" and not Panel change I would not worry.

When I was looking for all my Porsches 80% of them had been painted at some point. (I was lucky to find my current GT3 with orignal paint)

I looked at a 34,000 mile 993 Turbo (one owner) and it had the whole car repainted due to some git keying the car.

As for the heated seat, first call would be the fuse.

Nice to see a Boxster owners joining 911uk, the more the better.

So what did you not like about the 996 C4 ?

Dan

Hi & :welcome:

Firstly hope you sort your Boxster issue's. They don't sound too major although frustrating I'm sure this early in to ownership. Re the repair, I tend to agree with the above comments. At least it was done by a Porsche repair shop. They are very meticulous & even if there is the slightest mark on a panel they will re-spray. Doesn't necessarily mean that the car has had severe damage all the way around. If it's not Cat C\D then I wouldn't worry to much!

I can also vouch for Boxa.net for specific Boxster info. Good Forum

I too would be interested to hear your thoughts on your previous 996.

Boxsters are great cars.....Enjoy! :thumb:

Thanks again for support and advice on this.
The faulty seat is the drivers only. I will check the fuse but as the light on the switch flashes on when I press it I guess this is likely to be ok.

I had no problems with the C4 and sold it only because I needed the money. We are going sailing for a couple of years and leaving in May next year. After I sold the C4 I suffered a severe case of Porsche withdrawals and picked the boxster up to satisfy them in the belief that I should be able to sell it on at the start of summer and get my money back. (I gave £7,600 for it )
The C4 was something I had wanted since having a poster of a red 930 on my wall as a kid in the early 80s and it did not dissapoint in any way. At 6'4" I find most cars uncomfortable but the C4 was perfect. I even had the roofrack ( there are pics on flickr under melandnick ) and it looks great with boards on top!
The only thing I would say about it is that it was too good. With the boxster I can slide the back around and generally misbehave but the C4 always seemed too competent and grown up for that.
When we get back from sailing and have settled back into work I will almost certainly buy a 996 turbo as they seem to be crazily underpriced at the mo.
Thanks again for all help.
Nick

melandnick said:

I gave £7,600 for it

Nick

Wow! For the mileage and price you really shouldnt be too disappointed.

Chris W said:
melandnick said:

I gave £7,600 for it

Nick

+1 :eek: :D
What a lot of car for the money :thumbs:

adamw said:
Chris W said:
melandnick said:

I gave £7,600 for it

Nick

+1 :eek: :D
What a lot of car for the money :thumbs:

In context I paid £8600 in teh summer, have spent nearly £2k on work, plus wheel refurb plus £700 on tyres. And it could do with a full respray.... :sad:

You guys are really making me feel better about it.
I went over it inch by inch last night and it is 100% perfect as you would expect from a 2 year old paint job :) so OK I am not so depressed now.

Just need to get the lights sorted so I can drive the thing.

Oh, and for some reason my account on flickr doesnt show up on the search so here is the link to pics of my last toy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melandnick/sets/72157624894277422/

Nick[/url]

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back