Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Original fitment tyres - 1998 2.5 Boxster

Paul_911

I am currently in the process of replacing all 4 tyres on my 2.5 Boxster. It is an original car in every way so I am interested in what brand/ type of tyre would have been fitted to the car from the factory, did Porsche use one type or did they just select a fitment based of what was available at the time?

The car is currently running standard 17" rims on Continental Sport contacts (which I have no complaints about). I have been offered direct replacements and Michelin (Pilots I think)

What are peoples thoughts on selection...stick with what I've got or is there something better?

Thanking you in advance.

Paul.

Well on a Boxster u can put whatever u like on and it'll still go round bends without flinching!

When I bought mine it had Rosso fronts dated 02, on the rear a Conti Sport 1 dated 03, and a PZero Assim dated 07. One front had z slow puncture too. Handled perfectly well to be fair! :) that's on 18's.

now have fitted Michelin PS2 n rated and have to say not sure if I'm getting the real benefit, although I can't fault them. They feel similar to Conti sp2 but possibly a little firmer and more solid.

I'd go for something like Bridgestone SO2 which I think was also one of the original fitments. Quite a few of customers with 17's like them.

Q: how come u have the 2 Boxsters?

Many thanks for the reply Chris. My local tyre supplier is offering me a good deal on both the continentals and Michelins, so I'll probably give the Michelins a run out this time to see what I think.

You confirmed what I was thinking, tyre selection is all much of a muchness on a Boxster when it comes to the main well known brands.

Good question on the two Boxsters, :lol: the answer is that both me and my dad are Porsche in the Brain, my dad has owned one on and off since the 1990's (see Ex. list).

I traded my old car in for the 2.5 at the start of the year, my first Porsche. The second Boxster came onto the scene a week after my dad took mine for a spin and got the bug again. He didnt want to tie up mega bucks this time in a weekend toy so he bought his 'S'. First generation Boxsters truely are mega value + great fun as I'm sure you will agree.

Many thanks for the reply again Chris, hope your Boxster is going well and you don't miss your old widebody too much! :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back