Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster gen 2 WHITE smoke!

hectorbox

Has anyone had this problem? My Gen 2 2.9 has from new occasionally blown out a huge cloud of WHITE (not blue or grey) smoke on start up. This can happen whether I have covered hundreds of miles or 2 miles on the journey previous to the start up, and is not affected by incline.
This is very alarming and can be embarassing - not very Porsche like!
The smoke is definately white and is very copious - not the usual puff that you would expect from a Boxster.
The dealer cannot identify the problem, there is no evidence of head gasket problems or coolant ingress into the combustion chambers. The fact that the problem is spasmodic is very annoying as it is difficult to demonstrate - photographic evidence is seemingly not accepted.

Any ideas?

maybe water in cylinder and maybe is the start of problem.

Tried that; they have been very helpful but have found nothing 'wrong'. The smoke steadfastly refuses to show itself when in their company. The attached picture was taken some time into the appearance of the smoke - I had to find my phone, take it out of its case and open the camera so most of the smoke had blown away. It is accepted by the dealer but apparently is not acceptable as evidence by Porsche UK - they need a report from the dealer who has witnesed the event - bonkers.

Attachments

• white_smoke_400.jpg
    white_smoke_400.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 8,015
Can you not leave the car with them over night?

Seems like it might be something seeping into the cylinders when parked.

The oil isn't over filled is it?

We have tried that too. Honestly, the dealer could not do more without starting to undo nuts - something I would not want them to do without knowing where to start.

The upside of this is that they have been lending me some very nice cars to drive whilst they investigate. OPC Sheffield - good guys.

Just a thought......

That smoke looks like a light oil getting into the combustion chambers rather than a water problem.

Is the brake fluid level OK?

Possible brake servo problem with brake fluid finding its way into the inlet manifold via the vacuum end of the servo? :dont know:

You could try to replicate the problem by pumping the brake pedal hard a few times before starting the engine.

Thanks for your input - as a measure of my desperation I went out and tried it straight away - no luck...

Given that amount of smoke I would say that if it is oil-smoke then you would most likely smell the burning oil in the smoke when it happens. If there's no oily burning smell then it would be more indicative of condensation - ie. water getting involved.

With the water scenario in mind; have the OPC checked your cat in the exhaust? I don't know enough about these cars to be certain but it would seem that there might be condensation hanging around in the exhaust/cat somewhere that is then appearing on start up.

This is all assuming that you've checked that you neighbour isn't having regular garden fires! :grin: (Sorry!)

Adrian.

me and a friend of mine own 2009 boxters , we have the exact same issue and have no clue what is it !

My issue is now resolved, I would advise you and your friend to get your OPC to talk to Porsche UK.

hectorbox said:
My issue is now resolved, I would advise you and your friend to get your OPC to talk to Porsche UK.

Can you enlighten some more??? Its just that it sounds even more worrying when you read your post. Is it terminal or something fixable?

More to the point are you happy with the outcome? :dont know:

It is not terminal, merely an annoyance and it can be fixed if it is annoying you enough. OPC is the only place to go if it is annoying you and insist on Porsche GB being in the loop. My OPC would do nothing because the car steadfastly refused to perform when in their care, it took Porsche GB involvement to get anything done. As I posted earlier, they would not even accept photographic evidence.
There is nothing to be worried about - sorry if I gave you a fright - each car is different, of course - many early Gen2s are smoke free apart from the usual and well documented 'Boxster smoke', mine just happened to be a bad one.
Happy with the outcome? I should say so - I am in love again...

Same problem on my wife's Gen2... ended up going back to Porsche Reading a couple of times resulting in some ECU updates apparently.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back