Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC warranty- Porsche West London helped

bowlane

Guys I have had my 2005 997S Cab for 2 weeks. I purchased it privately, it still had 10 months OPC warranty- had a 111- point check at Porsche Reading 2 months previously- full OPC service history. I made Reading carry out another 111-point check on the day I bought it and they said the car passed with NO problems.
2 weeks and 200 miles later- MAJOR electrical failure- alarm keeps triggering, rear spoiler goes up on its own, rear fog lights on continously, horn keeps sounding when driving.
Porsche assistance came, flat bed to Porsche West London (my local). they call up today say the roof drainage holes on the car were blocked, water got in to the rear control unit casuing it to fail, carpet is wet. Battery is flat as the alarm kept sounding all weekend in their storage facility. They said need to replace rear control unit, take out seats, dry carpets and at the same time they advise replacing the rear discs that are 80% worn! None of it under warranty- £2k bill!
What is the best course of action- shouldn't they have spotted the blocked drainage holes and the rear discs 2 weeks previously or even 2 months before that?
James

You are in a rock and a hard place

Argue that the water issue should have been picked up at 111 check time - I use Porsche West London and they are reasonable

Discs are not covered under the warranty so if you want to continue with the warranty next year you will need to have Porsche parts . Ouch

I had a quote on my 993 front discs of £1500 and had them fitted by a client for £550 - same discs just not in a Porsche box

I can sympathise but argue the case

Did it rain after the 111 point check in those 2 weeks and/or have you given it a good hosing? OPC will argue that the drain holes are not part of any inspection and had they been blocked and water been a problem they would have mentioned it as it would (or should) have been obvious.

Sounds reasonable that water has entered within a short time frame for all the symptons to show so I think they will NOT honour it under warranty.

Disc issue sounds unusual. Question is when is teh car next due a service as the rule of thumb is that whilst they may 'note' brake and pad wear they wont recommend change if you get past the next service point by a set margin. 80% does sound high unless of course service was due say in less than 5k miles.

OPC West London claiming your discs are worn - shock horror, thats a new one. These guys are bandits when it comes to discs and RMSs. On one occasion they replaced my RMS under warranty as it was "leaking". It had been inspected 2 weeks previously and was bone dry. On another occasion they told me my discs were worn and needed replacing - again they had been inspected 8 weeks previously and were fine. Your discs may well need replacing, but unless they are failing the MOT while your car is at West London I would suggest you get them inspected and replaced elsewhere.

Thanks guys. I haven't washed the car since I've owned it (too busy driving it). The last time it was washed was by Porsche reading at the 111 point check when I picked it up!
Last service 4000 miles ago, not due until 2011.
Anyone got Porsche GB customer service email addresses?

Clearing drain lines is part of the service schedule IIRC. If they serviced it argue that they never cleared the drains. Then argue that for the carpets to be so wet to cause a problem that the leak must have been ongoing for awhile and should have been spotted at the 111 point check.

West London OPC :wall: That's all I'll say!

oh, and get the brakes done elsewhere, they pull that trick with every car that enters their service centre...

the fantastic warranty issues.....after paying a bomb for it, you would have thought they'd sort out any issues, and it does sound that you did all the relevant checks prior to buying the vehicle.
I love how every dealer says ''oooooooo look at your brake pads'' ''only 20%left in those'' and ''ooo the discs well they're on their way out too''. I was told that my pads and disc all need replacing after 3months ownership and after purchasing it from an OPC!!! Argued that they should have been changed proior to buying however didn't get far. So i took it to my local indy garage (not kwik fit), and was told i had plenty of life in them, been running up to 4k since (only do about 3k a year) and still they're fine.

My advice
1.take it to a reputable decent indy and ask them to check you pads and discs and ask they're advice.
2. Write to Porsche GB explaining the whole deal/saga that went on went you purchased the car, when the 111 point check was done etc etc.

Good luck.

Car was delivered back today.
Warranty saved me £1200!
The car was low loaded to Porsche West London, I got a brand new Boxter for the 10 days it took to dry the car out (removed seats, carpets etc). All I got charged was the rear control unit (£200). Would have been over £1200.
The warranty has paid for itself, just kick up a fuss and suddenly out of goodwill its covered!

Good stuff! Did you have to complain to Porsche GB or did the dealer do it off their own back?

bowlane said:
Car was delivered back today.
Warranty saved me £1200!
The car was low loaded to Porsche West London, I got a brand new Boxter for the 10 days it took to dry the car out (removed seats, carpets etc). All I got charged was the rear control unit (£200). Would have been over £1200.
The warranty has paid for itself, just kick up a fuss and suddenly out of goodwill its covered!

Back on my soap box....

This is what REALLY fecks me off about OPC's. Why should you have to write to Porsche GB, or complain before warranty stuff is suddenly magically covered under warranty...?? It's just P*ss poor service. 2 Weeks after buying the car you have major electrical problems and they want to charge you £2k for fixing it..... it's so unbelievable, it's laughable.

And OPC's wonder why they get a bad wrap. I'm glad you got it sorted, but it should have been much less hassle to begin with. It's completely unacceptable.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back