Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Errrm, my car smells of wee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLGirl

Trainee
Hi again all

Well, it goes without saying I am still loving 996 ownership :)

Except now it smells of wee! And I promise it's not me & dodgy Tena Lady's :grin:

I can only assume a dog has peed up against the car somewhere. The smell is only in the interior and much stronger with fan (not aircon) on. I washed the car a couple of days ago, including pressure hosing all the wheel arches, as much of the underside as I could reach etc, but the smell is still there.

Does anyone have any ideas please? I was thinking along the lines of where air vents may be situated to get air through the fans, or anything else I can clean/hose down? It's driving me mad! The car is pristine except now it reeks like an old people's home.

Sounds like air con (when you've been running with air con on, and then turn it off, you get this smell)

have you had it checked recently...?

same happened to one of my mates boxster. He had same problem. He could not figure out what that stinking smell was. he stripped some of the car to bits and nothing.
Anyway after about 3 months he found a rats nest behind the front bumper. They had peed on the radiator and all over. That was the smell.

I thought wow, that's rare. I remember him thinking a cat must have peed somewhere near the back end of the car or near the front maybe.. but, a rats nest! man, unthinkable.

I've heard of a few cases of mice nesting in (seldom used) cars, and eating through the wiring loom.

The funniest story I heard was a chap with a 993 that had a clutch problem when he fired it up after a long period of unuse. When they pulled the gearbox out, they found the clutch was stuffed with peanut shells! The chap's wife kept peanuts for a bird feeder in her garage, and mice had nested in the bellhousing, and dragged the peanuts in there.

FLGirl. Try a can of Air Conditioning Cleaner and Purifier. CarPlan make one, and you can get it for about a fiver on eBay.

FLGirl,
Don't worry, there's no cause for alarm - all 996s smell of wee :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

This is going to sound quite weird, but do you keep a pair of trainers in the car by any chance?

Nike had to 'recall' a load last year and Asics also have the same problem - something to do with the glue they use to stick them together and it smells exactly like cat wee! I have a pair of Asics hockey boots that I keep in my motorhome (wear them for dog agility) and I spent weeks looking for the bloody cat until I saw something on Watchdog about it... :pc:

I had this years ago. It was a cat p1ssing on the windscreen and it ran down into the air vents. It was bad enough you could see it. Reason for it was the bonnet was hot and there were a number of cats that liked to lay on the car and one of them was scenting the car against the others .... joy. Constantly pouring bleached water down the vents to remove the smell. I think it eventually died as the problem stopped. Hopefully it was karma and a car ran it over!

haha, that's how i found out about cats and cars too. A cat pissed all over the bonet of my E46M3, it ran down. lucky i actually saw it happen. Ran out and scrubbed the engine with soapy water. :floor:

As mentioned, replace cabin filter and get an AC canistor.

It is like an aerosol come hand grenade, pull the pin, throw in car slam the door... the car fills up with White smoke, allow a couple of hours and the smell will be neutralised.

That or put a halfords new car cent christmas tree up :)

So, FLGirl, let me sum up this thread for you.....

It could be
Cats
Rats
Mice
Dogs

:yuk:

either nesting, peeing in, on, around or eating your car

If you suspect any of the above, Forget Halfords, Call the RSPCA

It could be
Air Con Rad covered in pee from any of the above animals
Cabin Filter
A/C system in general
or Dodgy Designer Trainers

If you suspect any of the above, get a Halfords AC Hand Grenade and fill your car with white smoke for a couple of hours, the proposer of this option didn't say how long it takes to clean up the residue of the smoke

It could be
Nervous male passengers
Nervous elderly relatives :eek:ld:

Teenage boys losing control of their bodily functions at being driven in a Porsche by a Girl, and hoping their friends see them !! :boogie:

If you suspect any of the above, buy a waterproof seat cover off ebay, cheap, easy to clean.

Or, seeing as it's summer, drive with the windows open and hopefully someone sensible will have come up with a good and valid option for your smell of wee before winter gets here. :?

See, you don't get advice like this from an OPC do you? they have no idea what Porsche ownership in the real world is all about !!

Good Luck. :D :D :dont know:

pirellipete said:
...See, you don't get advice like this from an OPC do you? they have no idea what Porsche ownership in the real world is all about !! :D :D :dont know:

:floor: :floor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back