Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Educate me about early Boxsters!

orangecurry

MY00 3.2 S and 2.7 seem to be for sale at similar prices - what's the story?

Is the 3.2 'overbored'? :roll:

Not heard of the 3.2 being over-bored. For MY 00, the 2.7 was still a 5 speed gearbox whilst the S was a 6 speed. Lux-packs were options on either and comprised of leather, windbreaker and I think larger alloy wheels (17" for the 2.7 and 18" for the S). Both had plastic rear windows so look out for splitting/clouding and are susceptible to snapping if the top is opened up on a cold winter morning (glass panels were used from 2002 onwards on the facelift models). Front centre consoles were standard on both having been an option on the previous 2.5L model.

Can't remember the power/torque outputs but a quick Goog;e search should reveal all that. Oh and both were hailed for their economy figures not to mention fine handling characteristics which is a traditional Boxster trait as you know.

They must be good because ChrisW has just bought one! :wink:

Are you getting one to run as a 2nd/3rd car OC?

~ Maxie :thumbs:

6th car :oops: (though one will never move again)

So with all those differences, is it just 'owners not knowing what they are worth' which sees them up at similar prices?

orangecurry said:
6th car :oops: (though one will never move again)

So with all those differences, is it just 'owners not knowing what they are worth' which sees them up at similar prices?

6th?! :eek: You must have one great big driveway or a barn to store all your cars in, lucky man!

As for the reasoning behind prices, not sure tbh. I remember journos at the time saying, driving-wise, there was very little difference between the two variants and in order to get the best out of the S, it had to be driven above a certain number of revs (5000?). Having said that, I'd say the S came with more toys as standard (look for the Lux-pack models - I remember now that air-con was part of that). After reading your thread, I had a quick look at Autotrader and the 2.5L models (something I'd be interested in) are going for a song (£5-6k). I think it's a lot of Porsche for the $$$.

~ Maxie

Thanks. But a 2.7 is only 8k or less.

(I am lucky - garages for four; one car lives in the garden.

Big driveway isn't ideal when you have to clear the snow :grin: )

orangecurry said:
Thanks. But a 2.7 is only 8k or less.

(I am lucky - garages for four; one car lives in the garden.

Big driveway isn't ideal when you have to clear the snow :grin: )

2.5's are very slow, 2.7's although look good value are barely Golf GTI pace and the 5 speed gearbox doesn't help, if you're on a budget and just want the looks then get a 2.7

if you want to drive the car then get the 3.2, 10 years later prices are levelled out

I bought a 2.5 new fully spec'd when they first came out, late '97. I still wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it. The quality in '97 was not too good. I only did a low mieage in the thing over 3 years and it tipped me over to Honda's VFR and the like. The Boxster was very comfortable on the one long trip to Rheims where we had a week. And the storage ability was fantastic for all the bottles we brought back.

The 3.2 S is a peach, has to be current motoring bargain at the moment.

Its a serious drivers car, only downside is the lack of engine fettling. 2.5 and 7? Nah :frustrated:

When i was looking for mine a half decent one was twelve grand, the same now for 8-10. There bottoming out to lowest prices.

Big problem I thought was the plastic rear screens, spoiled the car, facelift or upgraded everytime. And evidence of RMS and clutch being recently done.

Well it's been an education for me alright! Bought on a whim, no research and never driven one I am blown away by my 3.2s!! It's superb in everyway except the OH even commented on the fact it doesn't purr and rumble like the 'old one' :)

With the nice weather driving late in the evening it's just great.

I seriously am thinking it's abetted and more enjoyable drive than the 993, just even from a confidence aspect u can really chuck it around like a go kart without the fear it'll step out.

Mine is wearing Gt3 style rims, has the hardback sports seats with heat and electric back adjust, oh and I still haven't seen the engine!

I'm a convert.....

Chris W said:
Well it's been an education for me alright! Bought on a whim, no research and never driven one I am blown away by my 3.2s!! It's superb in everyway except the OH even commented on the fact it doesn't purr and rumble like the 'old one' :)

With the nice weather driving late in the evening it's just great.

I seriously am thinking it's abetted and more enjoyable drive than the 993, just even from a confidence aspect u can really chuck it around like a go kart without the fear it'll step out.

Mine is wearing Gt3 style rims, has the hardback sports seats with heat and electric back adjust, oh and I still haven't seen the engine!

I'm a convert.....

Im just googling mental institutions in the Sleaford area. Chris you are losing your mind. The sale of your 993 has sent you do lally :eek: :nooo:

Mind you those Boxsters are nice. :thumbs:

Chris W said:

Yes Chris - that's the point :wack: :grin: it's a 'safe' car :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back