Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NEW LIGHT WEIGHT LI-ION LITHIUM BATTERY

manogh said:
I have ordered and paid for a Li-Ion battery from Voltphreaks. They call it a VPH750 and say it weighs 5 pounds. I will post my feedback regarding the product after it arrives in SA and i install it.

If money is no object then so be it but I can think of far cheaper ways to save that amount of weight.

Jeff said:
manogh said:
I have ordered and paid for a Li-Ion battery from Voltphreaks. They call it a VPH750 and say it weighs 5 pounds. I will post my feedback regarding the product after it arrives in SA and i install it.

If money is no object then so be it but I can think of far cheaper ways to save that amount of weight.

I thought that you were banned from criticising until you had a proper car again Jeff :?:

;)

Much cheaper ways to save 18kgs? Thats a lot so I'd love to know what you have though of that won't negatively compromise the car.

I still don't think its going to make much odds to laptimes but whatever!

Manogh - be interested to see how you mount it as I don't think its a normal size/mount.

ok so I have gone a different way. OEM Moll battery approx 18kg apparently.

Voltphreaks 2kg @ 800 gbp

Odyssey PC680 6.5kg @ 80 gbp

Mount for either probably 1kg as they both need some bracketry. I've ordered this :

http://www.cartronic-motorsport.de/e/cartronic_sqs_eg.html

The voltphreaks is undeniably lighter but both are marginal in terms of having enough aH to crank the car more than a few times and given I don't know if it will be a problem for me, I'd rather test it out with a cheaper solution.

Also getting a custom bracket made for the voltphreaks lots more effort. Might have been convinced if they sold a euro adaptor!

Anyway only about 10kg saving but what the hell, not treated myself to any upgrades for a while!

agtlaw said:
any update on this?

Hi all,

No update, but just want to add, the VPH750 shouldn't be compared to the PC680, in practice, it will compare more to the Odyssey PC925 at 24 pounds.

The VPH450 is the comparable Voltphreaks battery to the Odyssey PC680. The PC680 will allow you to park your car slightly longer than than VPH450 (for example, maybe 2 weeks for the PC680 and 10 days for the VPH450). In terms of starting power, the VPH450 can probably start cars that the PC680 can't start!

LI-ION BATTERY

I have received my Li-Ion Battery from Voltphreaks and it does indeed weigh 5 pounds (and its not the lightest one they have). Regrettably i have been to busy to getting down to fitting it to my car.

I have however tested it by hooking up the terminals and starting the car and i have to say it turns the starter considerably faster than the regular one.

I ran the car with the lights on (Bright), stereo blasting and aircon and i did not notice anything going wrong - so idling in the traffic seems not prone to cause any problems.

I hope to have it fitted soon and use it properly and i will report to the forum from time to time.

My buddy who bought one with me has had a track weekend recently and he has had no problems. He also commented that the car starts more easily with the new battery.

....now i need more lightweight stuff....maybe an RSR type C/F inlet manifold... :)

LI-ION BATTERY

To those who are interested i thought i should let u know that the Li-Ion battery that i bought from Voltphreaks is working brilliantly. After i got it it just sat for a few months in my office (turned off). I eventually got to fitting it to my car, turned it on and cranked - the motor swung immensely faster than with a regular battery and fired up. Its been in the car for several weeks and i have had no problems although the drives have been up to 8 days apart - so it does not discharge easily. If anyone want's to know if a 2.2kg battery in an GT3 RS is a good idea - i would say NO, ITS BRILLIANT and worth every single costly penny. Will keep you further informed if any quirks develop, although for now i doubt that any will arise.....and now i continue to look for ways to shed the weight of my RS further without resorting to :saw:

Sale on Voltphreaks lithium batteries

vph0700.jpg

Some of you may know of Porsche's OEM lithium battery option. We've been selling lightweight lithium batteries for almost three years now, and many Porsche owners have bought and used the Voltphreaks VPH750 battery successfully in their cars. There's many advantages to the Voltphreaks batteries besides the huge weight savings:

1. Long life, lasts several times as long as a lead-acid battery (5 to 10 years life)
2. Because it is a lithium-iron battery and not lead-acid, it holds it's charge longer
3. Full capacity of battery can be used (in use, a lead-acid battery never provides close to it's rated capacity)
4. VPH750 weighs 5.25 pounds and is equivalent to a 25 to 30 pound lead-acid battery
6. Never returning to a dead battery, never need to ask for a jump start (Low Voltage Cutoff saves your starting power)

Compare the VPH750 at 5.25 pounds to an Odyssey PC925 at 24 pounds, on a pound-for-cost basis, it's actually cheaper than most carbon fiber or titanium weight saving parts! Compared to the Porsche lithium battery, the VPH750 is also less than half the weight, and costs significantly less, while being more powerful (more cranking amps).

I purchased one of these from Voltphreaks and its been problem free. I strongly endorse the product.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back