Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Latest Next Generation 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo (998-991)

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Porsche is now just over a year away from launching its next-generation 911 and as can be seen by these latest spy shots, prototypes for the car appear to be almost complete. This latest prototype for the 911 Carrera coupe is already wearing the production head and tail-lamps, revealing new details such as the inclusion of LED indicators.

We first started seeing test-mules for the 2012 Porsche 911 back in 2008 and soon after that Porsche's chief of research and development, Wolfgang Dürheimer, revealed some details of what to expect for the new car.

Speaking of the new car, Dürheimer said, "'it will be even more competent, even sexier, even more unique. The design can of course only be evolutionary, but beneath the skin, almost anything is possible". The 2012 Porsche 911, known internally as 'project 991', will feature a few radical departures from the 911's long-running classical styling.
The changes are out of necessity more than anything, but they will be noticeable. First, pedestrian protection rules in Europe will require a change to the nose section of the car, likely meaning a larger and more collapsible bumper section. The rear of the car will also be changed, but for aerodynamic improvement.

Clear differences between the new model and the current 997 are the more upright headlights, slightly longer body, and the side mirrors now positioned at the side of the doors and not at the window.

Other new features for the car will include extensive use of lightweight carbon-fiber materials and active aerodynamics--surfaces that react to what the car is doing, and how fast it's doing it. Expect adjustable front and rear spoilers plus dynamically opening and closing air intakes.
It's still too early to determine what changes Porsche has in store for the engine lineup, but expect to see the familiar flat-six engine range carry over with only minimal updates--possibly for emissions and economy standards.

The new PDK dual-clutch gearbox will also carry over as will a standard 6-speed manual. Rumors of a possible four-cylinder addition to the 911 lineup, effectively bringing back the 912, and the revival of the 914 are shaking things up. However, at this point nearly anything seems possible.

Attachments

• 2012_998tt_5_150.jpg
    2012_998tt_5_150.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 8,792
  • 2012_998tt_4_143.jpg
    2012_998tt_4_143.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 8,792
  • 2012_998tt_3_172.jpg
    2012_998tt_3_172.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 8,792
  • 2012_998tt_2_153.jpg
    2012_998tt_2_153.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8,792
  • 2012_998tt_1_234.jpg
    2012_998tt_1_234.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 8,792
jh1967 said:
that looks like a VW badge under the sticky tape!

Now that would be funny (and particularly magnanamous from the defeated contingent)

However, a 4-cylinder 1.4 TSI under the hood would not be! (although I guess it would be a green lobbyist's wetdream)

Shame it's being made bigger and fatter still. Which market is it pandering too?

Shame it's being made bigger and fatter still. Which market is it pandering too?

Every 911 has always been faster and better than the one before. Each one has usually been a bit heaver than the preceding model (except the 996 which was lighter than the 993). If it has to gain a little weight for legislative, environmental or indeed performance reasons, I have no doubt that the power to weight ratio will address that. And will do so brilliantly. I for one cannot wait to see this car. I'm particularly excited by the looks. Something tells me this one is going to be just fabulous. Fingers crossed.

FYOG

I did the Silverstone Experience at the weekend, 993 / 997C4s PDK a and 997 C2s manual. While I am very impressed with the latest 997 Gen 2 cars, the 911 did start out as a medium sized sports car. I'm not too sure where they are going with the car by making it dimensionally bigger. I feel it should be going back to it's routes in terms of size but the Cayman seems to have filled that sector and Porsche have delibrately kept the power down on that car, a car which is widely acknowledged will handle more power. I can see where you are coming from and yes fingers crossed for Porsche, I hope we don't eventually have a car that's too big for the roads we have here in GB.

Fake?

Is it me or do the air induction scoops on the rear quarters look like stickers rather than actual vents? The shadow and reflection lines seem to run true, this wouldn't happen within a real vent where the inner part would be at a different angle....or am I just being suspicious?

They are stickers. It's not a Turbo albeit the title says so.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back