Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster buying advice...

Paul_911

Montreal
I am currently in the market for my first Porsche. I was bitten by the bug at an early age as my dad owned a mixture of 993/996 911's when I was growing up!

For Insurance reasons (being 24) I am on the look out for a 2.5 car that is original with a good history.

I have came across a great example (Full Porsche service history from my local OPC) with low mileage (59K) and it is mint with a good spec

Full Leather
17" Wheel upgrade
Lux Pack
Hi Fi upgrade (CDR 22)
Ruffled Leather
Hard top (2k option new I believe)

The only thing that is putting me off is the colour, its Arena Red. My main question is should I buy on condition rather than colour? I'm concerned Arena Red may not be the best colour choice on a Boxster come re-sale time?

Thoughts and advice much appreciated! :D

FWIW, Arena Red is extremely rare for a Boxster. I don't think it was offered for very long.

I think your engine choice would be a bigger factor come resale time more than the colour choice

Rodders said:
I think your engine choice would be a bigger factor come resale time more than the colour choice

Rodders I'm well aware the 2.7 is the more desirable engine choice, however as I say due to my age and living in Northern Ireland (Insurance premiums are still abit of a joke this side of the water) it has to be a 2.5

I drove a few 2.5's in recent years and they are not a bad car at all. I look upon them as cheaper to buy therefore they are cheaper to sell, so its all relevant come re-sale time in terms of engine selection.

The car in question is priced very attractively and I would think it has come close to the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Thanks for the feedback and please do keep it coming!

sorry Paul maybe never explained my comment properly,knew that your engine choice was limited to the 2.5 lump,what i was meaning is that as you already know the 2.5 Boxster is the bottom of the Boxster tree so that IMHO regardless of the colour it will be someone just specifically looking for the 2.5 Boxster that will be your potential buyer come resale time,whereas if it was the 2.7 some would argue that the 3.2 isn't that much faster(real world terms day-to-day),therefore the 2.7 would and could also be on a Boxster S buyer's short list whereas the 2.5 wouldn't,so to me colour choice wouldn't be too critical with the 2.5

the one you have mentioned sounds good,tho I would imagine the interior is grey??,also does it have A/C or climate?,I would say even on a roadster(especially a premium/prestige marque) people these days expect either or

Rodders said:
the one you have mentioned sounds good,tho I would imagine the interior is grey??,also does it have A/C or climate?,I would say even on a roadster(especially a premium/prestige marque) people these days expect either or

Cheers for the reply Rodders...totally agree with you! Its a mint example of a 2.5 that hasnt been messed with (still has its original OPC number plates for example) so its quite tempting!

The interior colour is Savanna tho it is broken up alittle with black door inserts/ black steering wheel and centre console which ties in quite nicely with the black hood.

I think it might look quite rich in the flesh so going to go for a viewing tommorrow after work.

It does have the Climate control yes (forgot to mention that earlier in the spec) - I wouldnt buy a Boxster without this - this was part of the Lux pack wasnt it?

I wouldn't be too worried about the colour, like has already been said it's neared the bottom of the curve in depreciation and at this end of the market (IMHO) buyers are interested in has it been looked after and are there any bills looming (i.e. does it need servicing/brakes/clutch/tyres)

I had a 2.7 - still miss it now. You might want to pop on over to www.boxa.net for some good uk-biased information as well.

noodle10000 said:
I wouldn't be too worried about the colour, like has already been said it's neared the bottom of the curve in depreciation and at this end of the market (IMHO) buyers are interested in has it been looked after and are there any bills looming (i.e. does it need servicing/brakes/clutch/tyres)

I had a 2.7 - still miss it now. You might want to pop on over to www.boxa.net for some good uk-biased information as well.

Thanks noodle10000 - you appear to have the same line of thought I had when I first seen the car, hence the question. This car in question still has its original dealer plates etc and is just crying to me that its a great early example (one of the best I've seen in recent months)

I personally know the original sales guy who sold it, the technician who serviced it in the first few years of its life within the OPC network so it could be a good buy for me.

Going for a viewing tomorrow after work.

Many thanks for the boxa.net link - joined approx 2 hrs ago! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back