Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 64
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 20
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
pirellipete
Barcelona


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 1480
Location: Cornwall

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Panamera - Perhaps Porsche lead the way -Again?? Reply with quote

well, I'm working over here in the Good Ole U S of A, and getting to watch some American TV,

Interestingly, there are many car adverts, by lots of manufacturers here, showcasing THEIR 4 door Coupe's,

And it has to be said, that a lot of them have rear ends not at all dissimilar to the Panamera,

So, despite the comments made about it, perhaps Porsche, once again, led the way in design concept, and now the rest of the industry is catching up

Question Question
_________________
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
Goose
Watkins Glen


Joined: 07 Jul 2009
Posts: 2156



PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thought.

A lot of people seem to have written the car off as some sort of monstrosity - trying to fit a genuine 4 door coope into a 911's clothes.

Maybe we should all reserve judgement.
_________________
Goose
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Porsche News
Motoring Editor
Motoring Editor


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 7139



PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try and drive one of those Yank tanks like a Porsche Grin
_________________
>Competitive Porsche Insurance <



FOLLOW 911UK ON TWITTER
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
40 Years of Glory
Trainee


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 52



PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose wrote:
An interesting thought.

A lot of people seem to have written the car off as some sort of monstrosity - trying to fit a genuine 4 door coope into a 911's clothes.

Maybe we should all reserve judgement.



A fair point. However, it's quite rare for a car that was maligned for its looks on release to find redemption at a later date lookswise, regardless of how commercially successful it turns out to be. I don't think the Panamera is a bad looking car per se. If it was made by any number of other manufacturers it wouldn't have got the stock it has got. I just don't think it's as good looking as it should have been. It could have been made to look more beautiful. I'm convinced of that. And with a Porsche badge on the front, there is an extra expectation in the motoring world that the car that wears it demonstrates real design flair, exhibits a special compelling beauty rather than committee generated corporate packaged ID.

FYOG
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Goose
Watkins Glen


Joined: 07 Jul 2009
Posts: 2156



PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 Years of Glory wrote:
Goose wrote:
An interesting thought.

A lot of people seem to have written the car off as some sort of monstrosity - trying to fit a genuine 4 door coope into a 911's clothes.

Maybe we should all reserve judgement.



A fair point. However, it's quite rare for a car that was maligned for its looks on release to find redemption at a later date lookswise, regardless of how commercially successful it turns out to be. I don't think the Panamera is a bad looking car per se. If it was made by any number of other manufacturers it wouldn't have got the stock it has got. I just don't think it's as good looking as it should have been. It could have been made to look more beautiful. I'm convinced of that. And with a Porsche badge on the front, there is an extra expectation in the motoring world that the car that wears it demonstrates real design flair, exhibits a special compelling beauty rather than committee generated corporate packaged ID.

FYOG


Yeah
_________________
Goose
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
pirellipete
Barcelona


Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 1480
Location: Cornwall

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but, no, but, hmmmmmmmm

Fair comments, All,

But I'm old enough to remember the slagging off that Ford Got when they first launched the Jelly Mould Sierra,

And that became a, dare I say, ground breaking design icon of its day,

Time will tell,

To me, the Panamera looks much better in the flesh than any of the pictures I've seen of it, and it would be a serious contender for me if I was in that market, the only competition being the Jag XR-F, or XF-R, whatever, you know the one I mean !!!
_________________
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
   
40 Years of Glory
Trainee


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 52



PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I'm old enough to remember the slagging off that Ford Got when they first launched the Jelly Mould Sierra,

And that became a, dare I say, ground breaking design icon of its day,


I thought the Sierra was ugly then and I I think it's even uglier now. Are there any still left out there???

But I am curious to hear of any cars that were considered ugly at launch that somehow came to be considered beautiful later. I can't think of one. TR7's, the Jag the Saint drive whatever it was called, the last model BMW 7 series, Ford Scorpio, Maserati Biturbo, the early Cayennes, the list of unredeemable uglies goes on..


FYOG
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum