Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does any1 else experience same feeling?

nevoptom

Monza
Been driving the 997c2s for almost 3weeks now.
When i first start the car and pull out of the drive onto the main road, on turning right or left, i get this feeling from the front wheels. Its like wheels are struggling with traction, and u feel like the wheels are going to snapoff the axle.
As stated b4 its only the front wheels. Feels like it can't cope and is sliding away from the way u want to go (but it isn't).
I also had this prob in the m3 as well.
There is nothing i'm worried about as it only happens first this on starting, where i'm near enough fully locking the steering to one side.
I put it down to the fact that the wheels are wider at rear and thinner at the front.
I see no one else has posted this up, just really wanted if others experience the same, amybe everyone being quiet about it, and does'nt want to feel stupid like me!!!
Oh going round corners etc etc is fine.

yes, i experience the same thing. funnily enough, i dont recall if this happened in the summer - sub 5c the summer tyres get very hard - could this be the cause? The first couple of times made me check if the tyres were deflated.

911 respond badly to over and under inflated tyres(esp the front). It is vital that the pressures are spot-on.

I run 34 in the front and 40 in the rear(997) which works well. 4PSI either way and it's handling is affected.

hey thanks for the responses guys (and poss girls).
this ackerman effect is very deep, however understanding the principles i have to agree with Wattie. Very clever explanation.
I will however double check the tyres and make sure they're running on the same that u stated.

I think you will find this is a "feature" of the combination of wide tyres and fast steering responses that we want from these types of cars. The suspension is set up occordingly and this can lead to the behaviour you mention and also the common issue of tyres wearing on the edges. My 993 C4 had quite a radical suspension set up, lowererd stiffened etc with 18" wheels and its suffered quite badly, my 993 C2 though has 17" wheel, narrower tyres and a normal suspension height and set up and doesnt exhibit the issue.
Cheers Keith

And there's me thinking it's just cos you've got a Diff on the back, and not on the front.

Ah well, fizzicks was never my forty.(sic) :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back